1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Motion, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Mike Mularkey, could be someone he has in mind. No one is mentioning him but he's an X Gator and IMO a good O coordinator excepting the time he spent with the Phins. Which probably had more to do with talent and HC than MM's talents.

2. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    MM's niece is also a student here right now.

Themole likes this.
  3. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Applewhite and Muschamp are close and so the thought was and is that Muschamp would offer a job to Applewhite such as OC, or perhaps Qb or Rb coach. If Muschamp offered OC, which would be a promotion, to Applewhite, then Mack has no problem with Applewhite going because 1) unlikely Applewhite get the OC position at UT this year; and 2) Mack always been supportive of his coaches advancing, even if not at UT. However if the position being offered by Muschamp was a lateral move ie QB or RB coach then the request was not to take him now. So that is why the caveat that if Muschamp offered the OC job then Mack ok with it.

I think that Applewhite will be an OC again. I am not sure, however that it will be at UT or UF next year. I could be wrong but my sense is that both programs will be looking for more established OC right now.

And again, all of the proceeding is a lot of internet supposition, from an admittedly good source of UT rumors, but still supposition.

Oboy likes this.
  4. Texphinphan

Nov 25, 2007
    And just a little more UT-UF info. Now being reported that Teryl Austin has met with some of UT's defensive players to discuss his defensive philosophy and schemes. Sounds pretty solid that Austin is UT's next DC, although Dallas Morning news still claims that no decision has been made. The UT boards are blowing up.

PS

I hope it doesn't come across as me trying to hijack the UF thread with UT information, I figured the connection was close enough that some of you guys would find the information/rumors interesting

Oboy likes this.
  5. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think the main reason it probably has not been announced as a new DC hiring is bc it has not been officially declared he won't be retained at UF. At least not to my knowledge. So that could be the hold up. However, if he has already spoken to UT players... Maybe it is a done deal!

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Hearing Brantley is thinking about transferring is that true?

7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

He is exploring his options. He will wait until after the bowl game to make a decision. So no one will know any time soon. I would guess he will sit down with the OC but I expect him back.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  8. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Some rumored names for the Florida Gators OC position. There was one name that stuck out. He however does not run a pro-style offense. Mike Leach WoW

http://twitter.com/TomDienhart/status/14852283456028672

I still think its way too early for Kerwin Bell tho

Themole likes this.
  9. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Guys Expect Steve Addazio to stay with the Gators as O Line Coach and you could even see Stan Drayton stay as RB coach

10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    According to a WVU release, Dana Holgorsen will join the staff as OC/quarterbacks coach in 2011 before becoming head coach in 2012.

11. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Just keep Daz away from the playcalling .I didnt think much of his OL coaching either.The snapping problems were pathetic.He is a good recruiter so that may be a factor.

I am sure Meyer is influencing this decision.

I hope Muschamp does not become UMs puppet

Themole and Oboy like this.
  12. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    :smackhead: OH I HOPE that he stays with oline. Don't even let him in the meeting room for the rest of the offense.

Themole likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    From Chris Hatcher, who worked w/ Muschamp.

Oboy, Skeet84 and Themole like this.
  14. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Skeet84 likes this.
  15. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Addazio is one of the best recruiters in the country. That's why he could be on the next staff. Muschamp wants guys that he will will feel comfortable with.

16. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    One wonders if recruits would still buy into Adazzio credibility after his performance this year and the criticism he has received.These kids dont live in a vacuum.

I hope its only temporary until the recruiting is finished or at most until the end of next season.

Oboy likes this.
  17. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    former Gator commit(soft verbal?) Ryan Shazier de-commited and committed to Ohio St. Apparently the departure of Meyer had a lot to do with his decision.

18. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    You can expect some recruit attrition when there are coaching changes .Fortunately Driskel, the QB of the future is solid and the Gators will still finish with a top 10 recruiting class .Muschamp may even recruit a couple of prospects that were heading to Texas.

19. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Man if Muschamp can have a Pipeline in Texas and have Florida. Damn scary the talent that Florida can get.

20. Texphinphan

Nov 25, 2007
    Being reported in that Addazio has accepted OL gig at UT. What are you guys hearing. If he is indeed the new OL coach, how good of a hire is that for UT?

21. Texphinphan

Nov 25, 2007
  22. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I have heard that rumor but did not post it as it has been mostly unsubstantial.We wont miss him I can tell you that.Nice guy,weak coach.

A change of scenery will be good for him.He is widely dissed in Gatorland and we want him gone.

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/Is-Addazio-new-OL-coach-at-Texas-9071

Themole likes this.
  23. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Don't let him play OC, and you should be all right.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Anyone think Chris Hatcher could be hired by Muschamp to be OC?

CrunchTime likes this.
  25. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    AP Source: Temple hires Florida's Addazio

After losing Al Golden to Miami, Temple turned to the Sunshine State to find his replacement.The Owls hired Florida offensive coordinator Steve Addazio to replace Golden, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday because Temple has not publicly announced the hiring.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/ap-source-temple-hires-floridas-addazio-1140505.html

Although not confirmed this would be good news in so many ways.A change of scenery to a lower level college will be good for him and the Gators get to move on.

Although he had a good reputation as a recruiter we have lost several recruits so far .He could have been part of the problem.Loss of credibility.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This article is a week old but any truth to it?

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/Some-names-making-the-rounds-for-new-UF-staff-8240

I really like Hatcher. He worked under Hal Mumme and Mike Leach out in KY IIRC. He's an Air Raid guy that does a lot of Mesh (crossing routes, rub routes) with tagging.

27. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I don't think there is any real way that he is hired as OC. Muschamp has said numerous times that he wants a pro style offense and he does not fit. He also said he wants someone with NFL Exp.

28. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5957902

This could be as a DC or LB coach (My guess is LB coach however we don't know how involved Muschamp will be on the defense.). Willis is an excellent recruiter. Texas Tech defense ranked 116 out of 120 however the talent he will have at Florida should be slightly better. Willis also coached under Nick Saban and with Will Muschamp for two yrs at Bama.

More info on Willis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Willis_(American_football)

29. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.

Skeet, that was then, this is now. While scanning some of the sites I check each day, I found this nugget.
    (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...e-of-former-texas-tech-defensive-coordinator/). Looks like the TT coach got himself into a bunch of trouble over the Christmas Holidays and may have been forced to resign.

If this is true, I doubt he will be coming to UF.

30. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Yeah it does not look good for him but I could still see him landing as a lb coach if all is resolved.

Miami WR coach and recruiting coordinator Aubrey Hill (former Gator wr) will be joining the Gators as WR coach.

DJ Durkin will remain special teams coach and Stan Drayton will remain rb coach

31. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    If Weiss installs a pro-style offense does JB stay?

32. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I honestly don't care. I am not happy with any QB that we go with on the team now. We might even be starting a true freshmen at QB. Brantley can't handle the blitz and for a pocket passer he is not very accurate at times.

Themole likes this.
  33. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    JB, has been a huge disappointment to me. WTH, happened to the boy?

I watched Driskel (sp) yesterday on tv. He squeezed some nice passes into some tight places. Looks like he has promise, and speaks as though he has enough sense to handle the offense.

Skeet84 likes this.
  34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not all that impressed with JB. I think that Reed looks like the far better prospect. I do think that a guy like Weiss gives him the best chance to improve though so if I were him that hire would make me much more likely to stay.

Skeet84 likes this.
  35. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Reed is more like Tebow than Newton IMO.He is not that elusive or fast but he has power.And his passing skills dont convince me although he could be coached up .

Even if JB gets better coaching he does not have the intangibles and leadership qualities that you want in your QB IMO.

Skeet84 likes this.
  36. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Sad but true. I think JB is a lost cause.

Skeet84 likes this.
  37. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wow. I still have hope for Brantley. I may be the only one. However, I think our Gators, JUST like our Phins were victims of HORRIBLE offensive coaching. Now I am not ready to not give some blame to Brantley, but I do think with proper coaching he will be a MUCH better player. Early in the year when we were not doing the QB shuffle and would go into a 2 min drill and let Brantley throw it around a bit, the offense was moving. He needs a rhythm.

That being said... the beautiful thing with a new OC is we are not tied to any one QB to start. Charlie will make his own decision and I feel with his experience he will choose the best one.

Themole likes this.
  38. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    My exact sentiments! In no way, am I so down on JB, that I want him ran out of Gainesville, but he certainly didn't live up to all the hype he received back in the spring.

Will Muschamp, told the players they would all be starting with a new slate. Let's see if Johnny can turn it around.:up:

39. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Oboy likes this.
  40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I do believe that JB could and will be better with better offensive coaching, I have concerns about how he handles pressure and his accuracy. I'm not sure that can be corrected. At least not enough to make him a great college QB. Perhaps enough to make him a passable college QB, though. So for that reason I wouldn't want him run out of town either. I also think that a pro-style system is the best fit for JB and gives him the best chance to succeed and possibly exceed my expectations.

As for the Muschamp/Weis pairing, IMO its a coup. As a Gator fan I don't think I could have asked for a better outcome after Meyer's retirement. I think our coaching staff could arguably be the best in the nation. And that Florida should continue to be one of the most attractive destinations for any recruit with NFL aspirations.

Oboy and Themole like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.