1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Florida Gators Thread

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Motion, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I don't think there is any way that Harvin drops that far. He is going to have great speed times in the combine and some team in the to 20 will fall in love with him. mark it down :up:

CrunchTime likes this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    What is his height and weight???

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

5-11 and 195. He is not small by any means. That guy has some serious muscle

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I know he's got some "Gun's" but he didnt really look any bigger than 5'8 to me, Im sure thats sugarcaoted a tad.

5. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    :lol: As if Welker is anything at all like Percy Harvin or a #1 WR. Thanks for the laugh.

6. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

I doubt he is smaller than 5'10, But I don't think height matters when it comes to being an elite WR. I mean look at Steve Smith

7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    This a year where the Gators had very few scholarships to offer .To be still ranked in the top 10 it tells you about the quality of those who have committed .On a star average the Gators have the highest ranking in the nation so far.

Even with all of the defections its still a great class .Debose is a good replacement for Harvin, Jelani Jenkins will be a beast and Gary Brown will start in his first year probably

Next year is supposed to be a big class and the prospects look great :yes: .They say that the fruits of a National championship are reaped the second year after the championship

8. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    Skeet84 and Oboy like this.
  9. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

No way that will happen. He may play a back-up role but no way he starts. We have guys returning and have a Redshirt guy named Omar Hunter who everyone around here said would start and I mentioned he would not. DT is a tough position for anyone to come in and start right away.

Janoris Jenkins to wear prized jersey #1!!!!!!

10. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    REally? Awesome. Love him. Had to be my fav defensive player! Glad it is going back to D... Always liked it there. Especially when it was on the Eraser two years ago!

11. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Yeah he is a great choice. I could not think of anyone better to choose

12. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    During a radio interview with Pat Dooley he mentioined that he texted Urban Meyer who is with his ailing father in Ohio. Dooley message was along the lines of "hope your father is doing okay, it's been quite a day down here..." and Urban Meyer responded "This is not over!"

Just thought I would let you guys know.

Get Up And Go likes this.
  13. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    OH boy... I can see Urban putting up 60+ on UT... :knucks:

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    How is our crop of recruits?

15. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Very good for everyone that we got. We addressed the Oline alot and got some need positions. Next year we will have the # recruting class. 2010 is loaded and we have plenty of Scholly's!!!

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    So your already putting Harvin ahead of pro bowl Wr Wes Welker huh? :pity:

17. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I think he is just saying that Harvin has more of a chance to be a #1 because Welker is not a #1 by any means. He takes 100 2 yard passes

Phinz420 likes this.
  18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Percy Harvin will be VERY lucky if he is as productive as Wes Welker.

19. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Interesting Q and A with Jon Gruden... Says a few interesting things about Tebow...

LINK

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Well, he was fired for poor personnell choices....:tongue2:

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Must admit, I've always been very impressed by him but I watched him on tape and liked him even more. He's ran more routes than I thought he did and he runs them pretty well. Very impressive. I'm not going to say he's going to be a number one at the next level or anything but I think he will be special if he can stay healthy, which is a big 'if'.

Skeet84 likes this.
  22. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Wes Welker will never have the athletic ability that Percy Harvin possesses, that's what I mean. They are completely different players from one another, and I actually did not intend that to be a slam against welker as much as it was lambasting the comparison of the two players(after all, the sentiment from the post I replied to was that since they had Welker, no need for Harvin).

Harvin is explosive, and he will be one of the fastest & quickest players on the field at any time he steps foot out there in the NFL. No matter how much Wes Welker practices he will never attain that. He is an undersized pure possession WR who can make a few guys miss because of that size & his vision.

Ultimately, my point was intended to mean that New England has every reason to go after a young guy like Harvin with their first rounder(if no other BPA is there for them on Defense). Moss-Harvin-Welker would probably be one of the most dominant 3WR sets you could build in the league IMO. Considering they run 4-5WR so much, it's even more disconcerting.

CrunchTime and Skeet84 like this.
  23. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    The Florida Gators intend to move former 5-star recruit Matt Patchan back to offensive tackle, but his inability to gain weight could be a problem on the offensive line.

24. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Ummmm Wow! This video is awesome

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n76WDzJ_g-Y"]YouTube - Florida Gators - How To Win A Championship[/ame]

Oboy and CrunchTime like this.
  25. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Great video! Someone emailed me it last night, but did not see until this morning! Gotta love that Spikes and Tebow are back for next season too!

26. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    This guy seriously has a screw loose....he is well known in "the building" as an unstable personality...this comes as no real surprise to most inside the building. There are also some other issues with regard to other players that may come to light rather soon. I will not speculate or "report" third party info but I would watch for some revelations coming from G'town soon.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  27. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...cruit/entries/2009/02/18/brookstone_te_k.html

I know its slow Gator fans but this is good news.

I am also not sold on the Carl Johnson thing yet either. Been hearing from a couple of friends in Gainesville this girl may just be a liar. Carl Johnson has had another G/F for 2 months. Lets just see it played out. If he is guilty he needs to go, But lets not hang the guy yet.

my 2 cents and Oboy like this.
  28. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    We should all try and let thing play out but we also know that generally guys with CJ's reputation usually are what they are....hope it works out for him more because I hate to see ANY kid blow great opportunities to become better people.....

Skeet84 likes this.
  29. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Truthfully, it is easy to believe either side. Some people just want the attention so she could be lying. Or sometimes these kids just can't help themselves.

Even though, staying on a bus too long? That seems a bit excessive. I know there was a court order, but if he was not doing anything other than riding the bus when she was on it (which is the story I heard). Then this whole thing is silly. He should be allowed to ride the bus. Now if there was more to it...

30. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    There is the line we try to walk with being open minded, fair, politically correct, and those nice things because generally we want kids to do well in life. Then we have our captain obvious thoughts that we do not want to convey...especially publically.

There are a couple other posts that suggest they hear differently in G'ville about CJ...I also know people in G'ville...now I do not anyone that saw or has third party information about the incident....I simply do not, so i will not comment one way or the other about the specifics of this incident...... I will tell you I know people one of which works with/near CJ 3-5 times a week during the season and 2-3 other semesters........ and I have gotten not one story, not one ioda of support, not one he is misunderstood or he is a nice guy......they have all been this guy is #1 a moron, #2 unstable...and #3 dangerous....now I will not and cannot offer ANY comment or opinion on specific situation...but a guy with his history and his rap even in the best case scenario has got to be a little bit smarter that even what is being reported in best case scenario......personally I do not think they guy was there to buy her a java....

If this were a Nole, Cane player or any other school not well liked by the media this would be on ESPN in a loop...and I seriously...seriously doubt that Gator fans on rivals and on here would be so quick to give the young man the "benefit of the doubt".... we get carried away with our allegiances, our own rooting interests and struggle to balance political correctness with the obvious....but lets hope this kid gets himself together and #1 does not kill anyone, and #2 offers a positive contribution to our society and has a positive life......

Kids are kids whatever the color of their uniform or where they attend school and some issues cut deeper than college football. Many of them (us) change/grow up in college and with life events, so I see no reason why CJ cannot even if he did do these things......but I do think the Captain Obvious in me thinks that this kid is dangerous if not guilty in court.......................

31. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I lived in Charlotte and knew a Panther player pretty well....I would point out that Cherika Adams situation was thought to be "silly" by CMPD because her boyfriend was a Panther and some others......if you do not know who Cherika Adams is you can google her obituary or Rae Carruth...

You and I agree on many things and are buds OB...so respectfully...but in NO FREAKIN WAY WILL I EVER .... EVER....say, condone or support that threatening to kill someone is "silly"....Cane player, Gator player or Slippery Rock player..........sure he can ride a bus...not her bus......people do kill people...threats are not always just threats...sometimes they are promises.

32. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    ALL very well may be true. I was just commenting on this one particular issue.

Careful in assuming all Gators would hang a guy if he did something like this in another uniform. :no: I, personally, am the first one to preface my comments with "IF true" when something derogatory happens to a college athlete. Regardless of school. Now, National Media? I am 100% with you on that. It does seem that ESPN likes to hang UM and to a lesser extent FSU.

I remember a few years ago when a certain cane took a dump in a girls closet. People were going crazy. My answer was lets wait until we hear both sides... Even though that situation was a bit easier to prove, there was some physical evidence.

I do agree with you Ray, It is a shame to see kids throw such good chances out the window. IF this is all true, I am sure CJ will probably be off the team before the first game. Really a shame.

Edit: the reason I bring up the closet dumping, some of the Cane fans I work with were comparing the two incidents yesterday. Which I just found humorous. Plus it just reminded me of the incident.

33. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Yeah I have a history of doing that with all groups ..it is just a tendency of mine to over generalize. Sorry and point taken......When I go to the rivals Gators site and 90% of the threads are in support of CJ, I really start to worry about our values as a society.....now in fairness you go to the Cane site and it is 90% against CJ (although a LOT less posts in general) so it is clear to see the bias on both sides..Gator fans and Gator haters...bottom line...threatning to kill someone, date rape, and stalking allegations (especially when you yourself state your life's goal is to kill someone......not a bright bulb this kid) are serious and more important than a football game or supporting a school....IMHO.....

As far as taking a George Bush in someone closet and not wiping your Barack Obama.......yeah.......not good, pretty immature but really does not come close to some of the allegations about CJ.......the sad part is that if charges are never filed or dismissed people will think this kid is good...and vise versa...if he is accused and it goes to court it does not matter if he did it or not his rep is done....think the NFL will red flag him....this is just sad allaround IMHO.......

34. Oboy

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Agree 100% on all points! :hi5:

Sad part is whether guilty or not (in general not just this case), once accused in our society you will always be labeled.

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    UM earned their reputation with a combination of off-field problems and inappropriate on the field arrogance, brawls etc. Their supporters just called it swagger but it went beyond that. They basically acted like what you would expect thugs to act like and since it was on the field everybody saw it.

The Gators, on the other hand, don't engage in much on field taunting. Part of that may be the rule changes but regardless the fans don't get as much thuggish behavior thrown in their face. Their biggest marquis player is most known (off-field) for his good works. Meyer and the Gators also work as mentors for African Americans, etc.

The point is that the Gators have too many arrests but they are mostly to less prominent players. That is balanced by good acts by more prominent players. Generally, bad acts get more press but due to the prominence of the players involved the good acts have gotten more press. Couple that with no major on field incidents and it's clear why the bad guys don't cause much of a bad reflection on the school.

Mainge and my 2 cents like this.
  36. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Good points all Raf.................

rafael likes this.
  37. my 2 cents

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I understand the history and the effects of on field behavior...but a lot has changed in Coral Gables that does not get it due with the national media and rival fans seem intent and not giving credit where it is due......and UF get a free pass on the totality of their off field "issue"

A blurb on a newer UM mentoring program.....1 arrest in two years, top 10 highest achievement as measured by NCAA by both APR and GSR, new sponsored mentoring program, highest collective football GPA in history....I will take ........ loan us your NC and we will call it a day:)

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/c-track/spec-rel/102308aaa.html

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I went to both UF and UM (undergrad and grad school respectively) and I know that there are good acts being done at both schools. But as I said earlier, bad acts generally draw more press. Nothing positive has occurred at UM in the last several years (basically since they were a perennial power) that would draw a ton of publicity. Certainly nothing on the level of the publicity that the ND-Miami brawl 20 years back brought. In fact, the biggest thing was probably that FIU-Miami brawl in 2006. All that did was remind everybody of the earlier brawl.

So what does UM have? A bad reputation, which they earned, and then a long stretch of not being a great team. They're starting to come back and they get in another brawl. Basically, they have done nothing to change their reputation beyond a few good acts which I assume most every major program does to some extent.

So what does UM need to do to change their rep? IMO they have to become a team that will challenge for a national championship for a couple of years at least. They need to have a star player on the national stage. They need their major players to be good guys. And they need no major publicity drawing bad acts for a while.

And it's going to be harder for UM b/c a bad reputation takes a long time to overcome.

UF doesn't have that to overcome. They are the current national champs. They have the star player who is known for being a good guy. On top of that, Gainesville is a small town. Most everybody there makes their living in some way related to the university. Most people have some connection to the players as a friend or friend of a friend. Reality is that people are more forgiving of people they know. Meyer came from Utah and didn't have a trouble laden team there. (unlike JJ who was coming from on probation Oklahoma State, although I believe he inherited the problem rather than create it). The result is that UF will get more of a pass. To counter all of the good stuff above they'd probably need to do something that will cause national outrage. And then they'd have to not kick the player off the team. Otherwise the only people who complain will be rivals and that will come off as just sour grapes.

Mainge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.