1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Official Dolphins vs Ravens Thread*

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Only chance Pennington gives us is the chance to not continue to develop a young QB. He is a lobber at this point and has no future. You want to see instant death then by all means insert him.
    Pennington would have been a rag doll today.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    have a great day!

Zod likes this.
  3. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
  4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Padre, c'mon man, seriously, no answer? All you said so far is that you think Henne is a "fish" and that he's not one of your 99 problems - make up your mind please.

What makes you think he can be developed into a solid QB in the 20 yard box offense? What do you want him to become as a finished product - Chad Pennington?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    What a guy did in the distant past is laughable, hence my using the extreme 1984 Marino reference. The past means crap when you're a player on the decline. All that matters is what Penny's done in his time here. 19 games over 2 seasons is enough to go on for a seasoned vet.... and 0-4 with zero real TDs and 6 INTs with QB ratings of 53, 84, 69, 76. These were ALL against quality teams.

At least Henne gives us a shot to beat top teams. There's absolutely NO WAY Penny lights up NY like Henne did..... there's no way that Pitt doesn't eat him alive.... and we've all seen how the Ravens D destroys him. Penny didn't stand a chance against Zona in our 31-10 loss...... and he couldn't beat Matt Cassell when the Pats actually knew to expect the wildcat.

6. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    A rag doll? They didn't get THAT much pressure on Henne. What did they sack him once or twice? How many years do we have to develop a young QB? Do we get to start winning ever? I wonder if there were people that thought that Arizona should have just developed Leinart instead of going with Warner? I'm not saying Penny is as good as Warner but at that point nobody knew if Kurt Warner had anything left. He was certainly near the end of his career. In the NFL you always try to win first. This isn't AAA baseball or something.

7. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Isn't this stat-monkery at it's finest?

8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Fine..... I'll go back to 2007. 10 TDs to 9 INTs. 86 rating.
    Screw that, I'll go back to 2003, so that way you can't whine that I'm picking and choosing stats.
    2006: 17 TDs, 16 INTs. 82 rating.
    2005: 2 TDS, 3 INTs. 70 rating.
    2004: 16 TDs, 9 INTs. 91 rating.
    2003: 13 TDS, 12, INTs. 82 rating.

Since 2003, thats 58 TDs, 49 INTs in 51 games. WOW..... that's lighting it up if I've ever seen it. Absolute model of efficiency and productivity.

Add in Miami games, since 2003: 79 TDs, 64 INTs in 71 games. Suuuure! NO reason to develop a young, talented QB when we have an elite talent like this ready to light the league on fire. :glare:

You're right, we're not the same team. We're playing a MUCH tougher schedule than the 08 team faced!..... and we're younger and more inexperienced as a whole than 08. We also don't have the surprise wildcat that the 08 team benefited from. The 2008 team didn't have a Rex Ryan revamped Jets team..... nor did they have to face Brady. :wink2:

Anything else? :shifty:

9. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yeah with Chad Henne we're winning all kinds of shootouts and lighting up the scoreboard. We're beating all of the quality teams as well. At least we had a chance... except for today.. and the NE game.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    We're the youngest starting team in the NFL. Get real will you. You can't expect us to play like a veteran team when we're NOT a veteran team. That's entirely unrealistic and a BS mentality to boot.

Part of becoming a long lasting dynasty is developing youth rather than grabbing a bunch of vets at the tail end of their career. There's a 3 year learning curve in the NFL for a reason. We're a team slap full of players who have been playing for less than 3 years. Do the math. :wink2:

cdnfinfan likes this.
  11. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    You left out 2002. I wasn't whining, that's what children do. I love internet smartasses. A little quip here and there is one thing but if you're going to start trying to condescend and insult me you can go ahead and **** off.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Bull F#@$ING S#!T he did. He rode the coat tail of a veteran #2 ranked defense AND #4 ranked rushing game (just as Sanchez did)....... which Henne has NOT had the luxury of doing. :smackhead:

Now your argument's really sounding pathetic, no offense.

Firesole likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Only difference (pertaining to your post) between Henne of 09 and 10 vs Penny of 08 is that Henne has AT LEAST beaten playoff caliber teams while having very FEW cake opponents to pad stats with if you look at our schedule. Henne also doesn't have the benefit of the surprise wildcat to fall back on. :wink2:

Someone call Indy to have Manning fired..... he just cost them the game!! :shifty:

14. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Best post everrrrrrr!

15. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    When last year? Who cares? We're losing to every playoff caliber team this season. When you're passing offense is short to midrange stuff and you have WRs who can be pretty good with YAC how is it better to have a less accurate QB under center? If they had actually decided to pick up Moss I'd say yeah Henne definitely needs to be in there. They don't have anybody who can go deep so what difference does it make whether he can throw it 60 yards down the field? He's out there constantly over and under throwing receivers.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I left out the 2002 season for a reason- because it was 8 years ago. If you're laying our hopes on his anomaly 2002 season, then we're in trouble. Talk about backwards...... why can't you be this optimistic with Henne as you are with an inconsistent mediocre Pennington? :lol:

17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Please let me note, that I like padre and I usually agree with him. I'll admit I was frustrated today, but my reasoning for this stems from another thread a long time ago about Pat White. I don't mean for this to come off as me bashing padre, but I'd just like to see him be a bit more sporting in his argument. Toddphins and I both asked him questions and the response we evoked was that Henne is a "fish". I'll admit I tried to get him to come out and answer and this wasn't the best way as I think he's put me on ignore now - but he never did answer my question. He definitely adds some flavor to the site and starts some really great threads.

But, IMO, I think he's had an agenda against Henne for a few weeks now, and has posted accordingly. I tried to evoke answer the wrong way here, but I don't think he gave a legitimate question any thought. I do apologize to you padre, wherever you are.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I have been optimistic with Henne. For some time. He's losing me though. With every inaccurate pass. We need accuracy, that is why I believe Penny gives us a better chance. I don't think he's the future. I don't know who the future is. The rest of the stuff really isn't that important. You're right in that regard. But I think the fact that Penny is a more accurate QB is undeniable. The passing offense they are running right now needs more accuracy. In the redzone you need accuracy. Why can't we score in the redzone? Penny's health is a problem, big time. BUT when healthy he goes to the playoffs. That's not optimism, it's a fact. History proves that. Why not at least find out he can't play anymore instead of just guessing? The coaching staff needs to find a spark b/c this offense doesn't get it done. If it doesn't work go back to Henne. I don't see the problem here.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Last time Pennington played he wasn't setting the world on fire remember. He had 1 TD 2 INT's and was sacked six times in three game before the shoulder was cut open and repaired for the third time. You will be very disappointed if he gets on the field this season. Besides if they give Henne the hook they would give Thigpen a chance first. They know Pennington is done. He is here to mentor not to play.

20. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They should consider a QB that's more accurate to possibly spark the offense. That's all I'm saying. If he fails fine, go back to Henne. Just try something before the season is sunk.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    1 Td and 2 int's without Hartline nor Beast and that is as much production as the Henne Fish is managing, without the completion percentage.

22. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Put in Pennington..... if it fails go back to Henne.
    That will do wonders for the young QB's confidence and development.

ToddsPhins and siciliansith like this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Here is the difference:

-Fasano has the ball on his hands in the endzone

-the pass to Beast is catchable, it does not riccochet

-Bess catches the ball in stride and waltzes into the endzone

-no multiple 3 interception games

Penny puts the ball where it needs to go for the Wr to have a chance to run with it, or catch it easily, CP is more Wr friendly than Henne is.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The point is to win games, not to coddle failing Qb's feelings?

By that logic, no Qb should ever be benched for fear of hurting their delicate flower like personae's.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From everything that most of the players say, they seem to feel like Henne is pretty unflappable. Brandon Marshall said so last week. As did Jake Long the week before. I'll take those two's word for it.

ToddsPhins and Killerphins like this.
  26. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    I don't know if you are drunk or what. How in the world could Bess have caught the pass in stride when he had stopped his route? Matter of fact, Henne was the one who actually MADE that play by pump faking and the CB bit and went towards the endzone, then Bess went towards the sideline. There was no stride to throw to or catch a ball in.

And also, the pass to Marshall would have been defended had it been Pennington throwing it.

27. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I dont think Henne is the future anymore and I don't think Pennington is the answer. Maybe give Thigpen a shot.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because if you watch the film or noticed in the game, the ball fluttered out of Henne's hand to Bess, if it had been any sort of spiral Bess waltzes into the EZ.

As for the pass to Beast, Henne fired the ball that he was trying to high point, with Pennington it is a softer far more catchable high point that beast easily drags into his hands.

Henne Fish fans do not wish to recognize that ball placement/speed/catchability is just one more in a long line of flaws he has that Penny, or even Thiggy does not have.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No player on the SparanoPhins is going to trash a teammate, that will not happen, and it should not happen, we see the same things the coaches do, trust what you see over what they say everytime.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  30. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thiggy doesnt have ball placement issues? :lol: the guy has the accuracy of stevie wonder

ToddsPhins likes this.
  31. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    LOL. So now it's not that Bess would stride into the endzone, it's because the ball wasn't the tightest spiral. Got ha. That makes perfect sense now. Apparently it takes a good 2 seconds more to catch a ball that isn't perfectly spiraling.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yes and no with Thiggy, he can be accurate for 8 out of 10 throws, one will sail on him, one will leave us all asking "what was he thinking!!"

But recall Henne's runs? He had maybe 5 of them, he went nowhere, Thiggy can make something happen in that situation he runs like a halfback adamp,.:up:

33. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    your problem like so many other ppl is that you equate an accurate pass with a tight spiral

go watch some of the best QB's(yup, even marino) and you will see that they throw wobbly ACCURATE balls all the time

another problem you have is you seem to think you can jsut place pennington in to the same positions that Henne got the team in to and that he would be able to succeed

give it up bruh, Pennington is NOT the answer
    neither is thigpen, if he was good then he would have started by now in this league

ToddsPhins and Firesole like this.
  34. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    if your correct, we should be able to trade thigpen for a 2nd rounder.

HES SO DAMN GOOD!!!!!!!

ToddsPhins and Firesole like this.
  35. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    he's a career 54% passer!!!

man, are you arguing just for the sake of arguing??

36. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The only way Coach makes a change at the QB position will be during a game. He won't make a change now or during the week.

Henne still gives this team the best chance to win games.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Did you happen to watch what Jacoby Ford did for the Raiders in the last minute of the game and overtime? We don't have ANYTHING close to that to help open up a field or allow Henne to utilize the cannon that God blessed him with. Give Henne a real opportunity to play to his strengths and then come back to me..... b/c playing him inside a 20 yard box at a time isn't remotely playing to his strengths. Do you see how well he throws the ball downfield and into windows when he has the slightest room? Do you see his backshoulder passes over defenders to Fasano etc? He needs the personnel to allow him to routinely do this. We have personnel fitted for Pennington's dinky arm when we need guys who can maximize Henne's gun.

Henne's not the problem. The tools he's been given aren't matched to best suit his needs...... not to mention we don't even have a decent #4 to come in to give our guys a breather. It's a lot easier to get Henne the proper tools than it is to find another franchise QB.

The Jets know this, hence making sure they had a threat at TE, then acquiring Edwards and a deep threat in Holmes.

The Falcons knew this and surrounded Ryan with Gonzalez and Turner his rookie year after having Roddy White and Mike Jenkins.

The Lions knew this and added Pettigrew, Burleson, Scheffler, and Best to Stafford's arsenal. (granted they should've sealed the line first, but Oline isn't our greatest offensive problem).

The Ravens surrounded Flacco with weapons to grow (Rice, Boldin, Housh, and drafting Ed Dickson AND Dennis Pitta) instead of making him rely on Heap and Mason alone.

The Raiders surrounded Russell with weapons/down field threats (Zach Miller, McFadden, Murphy, Bey, and now Ford) and look what their offense is beginning to do with them.

The Eagles emphasized playmakers by adding Jackson, Maclin, and McCoy.

The Giants have given their franchise QB every opportunity to thrive by drafting weapons like Nicks, Smith, Manningham, and spending a 3rd on Beckham while having an explosive back in Bradshaw.

The Bucs drafted playmakers Williams and Benn & grabbed Spurlock to go along with Winslow and Cadillac.

What did we do for Henne to open things up? We added the most dangerous possession receiver in the NFL in Marshall and have one of the top possession slot receivers in Bess. THAT'S IT. What did we do to ensure these guys get more space to work with so they actually have a chance to do what they do best? Nothing. We emphasized nothing for a downfield threat. In fact we took away our only one. We did nothing to give Henne a reliable big target over the middle who can stretch the seam. And we did nothing to give Henne a true threat out of the backfield who can eat up yards in a flash if there's an opening. We've spent our time over-tinkering with the line, building defense, and using draft picks on more possession receivers/TEs/backs.

38. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think it's time to face the fact that we simply got beat by a better team y'all. We were out-coached and out-played IMO. Piss and moan all you want but the bottom line is we're just not good enough to be considered one of the the elite teams in the AFC. And, to anyone focusing on Henne as being the problem is simply looking for a scape goat. Teams win and lose as a team. And, we will win games consistently once we have good personnel, and good coaching. Period.

ToddsPhins and Stitches like this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    This makes sense but it won't do us good for the long haul nor will it allow us to compete with top tier defenses. We shouldn't be settling for the current offense we have and trying to find a QB to fit it. We should be adding some weapons that fit our franchise QB's capability who can open up the entire field, in turn allowing Marshall and Bess more space to operate in IMO.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pardon me TP, we are not competing with "top tier" defenses now with Henne, we literally have nothing to lose by benching the Turnover machine.