1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Oct 28, 2011.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Arod apparently got hurt BEFORE the playoffs so it was nice of the Yankees to keep that injury hidden while getting beat up in the press etc.

Not sure how it's a god send though, it hurts the team having to find a replacement for him and another surgery in that hip at his age isn't great news. The Yankees probably have zero clue what production, if any, they will be able to get from him for the rest of that contract.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    because the guy is cooked at this point, and I could care less if he ever plays again....his power is gone (roids), he is an as$hole, and I would rather see someone else in there...he is a 30M slap singles hitter at this point, even worse than A-Gone......hopefully they plant coke on him and he gets arrested....

And the timing is crazy, think about it.....if what you said is true and his labrum (the same one) is torn BEFORE, why didn't he do the surgery at the end of October? Again why wait until January? they lost in mid-October, giving it a couple of weeks for the swelling to go down, that puts it at the end of October, beginning of November....

With a torn labrum (I have one in shoulder) especially if it is the same one that re-tore itself, the options are only one.....I mean you will know if PT has an affect after a few sessions.....

Part of me thinks A-Rod hid it too....remember he still hasn't faced the music for that assassin number copping incident...that was their last home game of the year...

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Apparently, according to reports, the doctor doing the surgery wanted Arod to rehab the hip first to get it stronger before surgery. I'm no doctor so I have no clue if this is normal or not so I can't really comment on it however you do see guys with tears try to rehab first before surgery, that's what the Yankees tried with Banuelous before he got TJ. So I don't think it's right or fair to blame Arod for getting the surgery in January without knowing all the deals. Perhaps it is his fault but again we simply don't know.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    No PT on a torn labrum, the same one, for over a month is absolutely foolish.....I did it for 3 weeks, the PT was like "this is having no affect at all"...there are theresholds to have to meet, and if you dont, PT is meaningless....

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey just saying what I read from I believe either Heyman or Sherman. They except from to be out for 4 to 6 months.

finyank13 likes this.
  7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Strike that I was wrong....

it was the other hip......the man is breaking down down down....

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Granderson should have some trade value even with 1 year left on his deal. Not sure if it makes sense to move him though right now since the Yankees are already starting the year without Arod and possibly Jeter. Just leaves another big hole to fill.

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think it is time to start planning for the future with this team....I said it all last year, that last years team was the BEST team you will see for a while.....

Again not sure how you do it, but if Granderson is a chip you part with to bring back some good prospects, so be it...the vacancy of the farm system is one of the big reasons they are in this mess.....

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The problem with the Yankees is they are a win now team because they have too many older guys signed longer term (Arod, Teixeira, Jeter, CC). They can't simply stop and rebuild because of that. They other issue they run into is they have guys like Granderson and Cano who are a year away from being FAs and they play a position that will be hard to replace if they go elsewhere. And again the Yankees minor league system is bare of top prospects that can come in and make an immediate impact as they're either hurt (Banuelous) or in A ball, meaning they're a few years away.

I still think the Yankees will be good this year but then what. That luxury tax is already causing them to scale back on the spending to avoid it and with those players getting older then what? I mean the Yankees are just resigning the same guys they had on the team last year to 1 year deals, but are they getting better?

It's one of the reasons why I was a huge fan of that Punto Trade because it effectively got rid of all of the Sox long term debt and they're able to start fresh. Even if it means they need to take a step back for a year or two. Now the Sox are in the driver's seat where they can offer FAs shorter term deals for more money and still come in under that luxury cap and with the prospects they got in the trade along with the prospects they already have they will be able to field a younger, cheaper and possibly better team moving forward.

Again which is why I laugh at people knocking the Sox for "quitting" on the season when they weren't going to win anyway. I mean if we rewind to the 2011 Miami Dolphin season do you think people would still be against them tanking or quitting on the season on purpose so they could draft Luck or RG3? Sometimes franchises need to take a step back for the future. Of course that's if they're able to, I'm not sure the Yankees are in this point with the way their roster is.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I was a catalyst for Suck for Luck.....unfortunately people have misguided pride and homerism....

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This is an interesting turn of events......so lets hope he body breaks down beyond repair.....good to see they at least tried SOME sort of measure to protect themselves...

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sigh what could have been huh?

Obviously its nice the Yankees could possibly get some relief but his salary would still count towards to the luxury tax cap which could prevent them from spending.

finyank13 likes this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    that's fine, but in the end it is free money.....and it offsets the cap.....the hard part is going to be getting him to sit out the year.....

they are trying hard to get Keppinger.....

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's not really free money in the sense that they still have to pay Arod just not as much but it doesn't offset the cap as Arod's salary, even with insurance relief, is still included in the payroll.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    by the time his contract is getting to the point where this will be resolved they will be well under the luxary tax thereshold.....

at that point they will have no Jeter, Rivera, AP, Kuroda and Granderson, hell they might not even have Cano....

it wont be an issue...again the problem is going to be getting him to sit the year out.....but I am sure the Yankee doctor are going to be the ones whom ultimately clear him to play so theres that too....

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So Boras has been talking about the lack of Yankee foolish spending, saying something to the effect of the Goaliths are no more.....followed by Onley, and Heyman saying it is embarrassing to their brand, and that they are coupon clippers....

I am SHOCKED that so many people are actually shocked and confused that NY is reigning in spending and trying to keep their draft picks...as opposed to stick to a method of overspending and losing draft picks, which hasnt worked....

expect more of the same in 2014 too.....2015 is when they will be able to spend a couple of dollars....

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I likey....although I like Hughes over Nova...I want him to stay.....because after this year they are going to need starting pitching in a big way...

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    So Brian Cashman apparently doesn't have any power to make moves. I find this laughable in so many ways, mostly how the Red Sox were getting hammered because Larry Luchhino stuck his nose in baseball ops business. Looks like the same thing is happening to Brian Cashman (again and really has multiple times since 2007).

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I find that very hard to believe that article....the two things are totally different....

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Who knows what's true, fact remains that the Yankees ownership group does stick their nose in baseball ops matters too (Arod, Soriano), it happens in all FO. So people bashing the Sox/Lucchino is silly either way.

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think they set guidelines as far as how they they can spend....but Cashman is making those moves....I agree A-Rod was Hank's venture and coincidentally hasn't been heard from since...and yes you are right on Soriano......I agree.....however those guys arent stepping on Cashmans feet the way Lucchino did to Theo to the point where he left his hometown to get away from him.....

I believe they are strict as hell with the money.....this isnt George running it anymore that much is obvious.....and lastly I love how that article comes out from the WSJ, from a guy you rarely hear from who said he has a "source" telling him this, as the very next tweet comes in from Heyman saying Cashman is shopping Nova, Granderson and Hughes.....

got to love SOURCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I like sauces, especially pasta sauces, although those arent sauces those are gravy Fink....dont mix them up....

and lastly lastly if it is true, the Yanks are in a world of hurt and I hope Cashman tells them to screw and leaves...

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    If the price drops to a 1/2 yr deal I can see the Sox being heavily involved as well...

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think the Sox would sign him for 3 years max too. But anything more than that would be risky.

finyank13 likes this.
  26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Sorry Fink your Twitter plea fell on deaf ears....for that bargain tho I wonder why any team wouldn't take a stab at him....he must like the West Coast....

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I read it for him 3.6 is a decent payday....

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He isn't exactly Mr. Healthy, which is probably the reason. He's only thrown more than 120 innings in a season once too. It's not a terrible contract though and worth a shot.

30. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    That sucks he was a borderline HoF player his all or nothing approach the last couple of years and his lack of conditioning ruined him.

31. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Youk???

:censored:

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    So you don't like the signing of a 34 year old (at the start of the season) with a bad back and hip, who's missing more games in the past 3 years than Arod, who's not very good defensively at 3rd, and who hit .177/.266/.291/.557 on the road?

I personally think Youk is done but good for him and his agent to get 12 million this year.

33. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    *** Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread***

I agree. I think he's done as well. And I was completely wrong in that regard before when I questioned why anyone would give up on him.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah, it was easy to bash the Red Sox for trading him last year and for such little return, and who knows maybe they could have gotten more, but the time was right to go with Middlebrooks. I mean I thought if he was healthy in 2012 he might have a nice bounce back but the injuries just kept piling up. Hopefully people will remember just how good Youkilis was from 2006 to 2009 before he got hurt. I mean he was always thought of as a nice prospect but not a star, his ceiling was maybe league average player that gets on base and plays average defense. The guy really worked hard to become an All Star player for the Sox, unfortunately injuries just killed his career. It happens.

35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I don't think he will be awful in that lineup, he wont play everyday, as Girardi will have the master shuffle going on in the infield....do I think he will be great?? Absolutely not.....

But I will say about Youk is the guy is a gamer, and he does know the strike zone pretty well....and as bad as he is in the field, probably an upgrade over the other statue they at 3rd...

Hey at least it makes Red Sox/Yankee game interesting again...

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not really. I mean I really don't care Youkilis is on the Yankees. Can't see how its even remotely interesting at his point of his career and it's not like he chose the Yankees over the Sox or anything like that.

37. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    *** Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread***

Yeah, and it's not like he's bitter at the Red Sox, everyone involved with him being traded is pretty much gone. He doesn't even know a lot of players on that team anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Screw both of you okay.....

The reaction will be interesting first time he goes to Fenway....for me at least....that being said I probably wont see it...

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He'll probably get cheered because he was on the 2004 and 2007 teams. The only one that wasn't was Damon, half of that was his own fault.

40. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Looks like Bernie is off the HOF ballot for the future with getting only 3% of the votes. I knew it was a long shot but Bernie was my favorite player growing up so I hate that hes off. Still think they should retire his number on 9/13/??, his birthday and when he signed with the yankees