1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

****Official 2010 New York Yankees Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He’s gone. He had one foot out the door in this series. He doesn’t want to come back and his wife doesn’t like Noo Yawk.

The 2011 Yankees are going to look pretty different, and might be a better team for the trouble.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well on the bright side Girardi won't have to change his uniform number next year....

The Yankees had a good season but it was clear from mid August that the team was going to have some issues come playoff time. I am shocked how badly they played this series though.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Just got off the plane after eventful flight issues, finally landed and connected.....sounds like I didnt miss much...oh well.

Yanks were shaky late in the season, and Tex injury sealed the deal - but their bat ZZzzzzzz sealed it prior to Tex too.

Texas out Yanked the Yanks with clutchness.

adamprez2003 and finyank13 like this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Not according to Heyman, he is being resigned with a raise, the Yankee brass love him.

finyank13 likes this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This...not only is he not going anywhere...but...

The Yankees have already decided to bring manager Joe Girardi back for the 2011 season and will give him a raise.

No surprise here. Girardi was linked loosely to the Cubs and Cardinals this fall, but Chicago hired Mike Quade full-time this week and manager Tony La Russa has agreed to return to St. Louis for another season. Girardi led the Yanks to a 95-67 record in 2010 and the American League Championship Series. New York won its 27th World Series title in 2009.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/10/22/daily.scoop2/index.html?eref=writers

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well good for the rangers. only two teams left now who have never played in the world series....seattle mariners and washington nationals

finyank13 likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I heard the entire Yankees coaching staff lined up this morning and committed Seppeku in right field at sunrise this morning.

Any truth to that? Would it be on page 6?

:D

Rangers were swinging hot bats and took advantage of every opportunity, the Yanks bats went cold at a bad time. And keep in mind Cliff Lee is a Ranger only because MLB loaned Texas the money to pay him for the rest of the yr when they traded for him, he really wanted to go to a large market team.

Good for Texas though, I can imagine a certain NFL owner in the Dallas-Arlington area being a bit green with envy right about now..and that is a good thing.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And the Yankees should bring back Girardi. Yeah he had a terrible ALCS managing wise but he did win a WS last year, that has to at least give him a little more rope.

One thing I wouldn't be shocked to see this offseason is a trade of Joba Chamberlain. He seemed to really fall far into the doghouse this year. I think the Yankees made a mistake moving him back and forth and for whatever reason his stuff wasn't nearly as good/sharp as it has been in the past. A move like an 'Alex Gordon type' (a former high end prospect that hasn't panned out for whatever reason but saying Gordon because obviously the Yankees have no room for him) for Joba might be a possible since I would be shocked if Joba alone could net them a big time player.

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Parity in Baseball is alive and well, and money buying you championships is proven once again as the silliest saying ever......as far as Yanks payroll, as a fan of game and of Yanks, I am grateful when ownership attempts to put the best product on the field and reinvests available monies.

I know every year the team's 25 and 40- man rosters will be different, new arrivals and departures will be occurring based on age and all for financial reasons of cutting dead weight and adding new bodies for reinvestment into the product on the field. That to me is the best thing any Fan could ask for.

I dont have an issue with Girardi staying, dont see Yanks with any better options when it comes to knowing the culture and NY Media. Who would you want to replace G and why? I dont think anyone other than Torre returning would be a comfortable fit.

finyank13 likes this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

there is simply nothing you can do if you dont pitch...they ended up with something like 6.78 ERA in that series, 3rd highest in LCS history.....

adamprez2003 likes this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    which is nuts when u think about that 1995 team.....

Junior
    A-Rod
    Randy Johnson
    Buener
    Edgar Martinez
    Tino Martinez...

wow that was stacked...who did they lose to again in the LCS??

adamprez2003 likes this.
  12. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    to me the biggest culprit was the pitching decisions girardi made. Robertson and Logan being put in those positions instead of joba or wood is just ridiculous imo. you go with your best players, not pitching matchups and percentages. the percentage managers always get outcoached by the coaches that go with the hot hands. pettite shouldve started gm 2 not a 24 yr old hughes. just bad coaching IMO.

At the end of the day the rangers outplayed us but better coaching on our part couldve stolen another gm

finyank13 likes this.
  13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    the mighty indians

finyank13 likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And that Indians Team was loaded with talent, Manny, Belle, Baerga, Alomar, Lofton, Sorrento, Thome, Eddie Murray.

Eh, Yanks will trade Joba, sign Cliff Lee, maybe keep Berkman but that is not 100% as they may want to keep the DH open for Posada and whomever else needs a day off.

finyank13 likes this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    they have to sign Wood too if Rivera retires...which I think might happen, as Girardi brought him in in a 6-1 game to pitch...I enjoyed every single pitch last night as I kept saying it could have been the last....:no:

16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    You forgot Vaughn, Taylor, Dorn, and Serrano.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  17. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I was DAMNED scared Joba was gonna come in last night. No idea why he didnt. He murdered the Rangers last weekend.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I’ll believe it when the ink’s dry.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Exactly. Anyone saying they don't want Girardi back but doesn't have a real candidate and valid reasons as to why he'd be a better fit shouldn't even talk about not rehiring or firing Girardi.

Even bringing Torre back would be a backward move. How is Torre all of a sudden a fit to manage the team when 2 years ago he wasn't?

I'm not even talking about the LCS, I'm talking in general. Girardi lost faith in Joba in the middle of the season and Joba never was able to earn back his trust. While someone like Robertson, who's a nice pitcher but doesn't have the stuff/potential Joba does, was seemed to take his place in the pen pecking order.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yankees not bringing back pitching coach Dave Eiland. I guess that puts to rest what an effect he had on AJ Burnett and others. I wonder what the next excuse will be for Burnett when he doesn't pitch well next year.

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Same as Beckett's....:lol:

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Beckett or the Red Sox have never made an excuse for his poor pitching. He was bad this year no way around it, even if I do think it was a mixture of an injury as well as some bad luck.

The Yankee spin control about Burnett and Eiland was laughable. I mean seriously the guy (who had been in the league for over 10 years mind you) was pitching bad because the pitching coach wasn't with the team?

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Oh, agree about backwards with Torre to a degree.

Just pointing out when it comes to Yanks it takes somewhat of a NY guy with NY experience somewhere to get the picture of Media and expectations.

Now, Torre per the book has several reasons as to the exit...and with King George passing, perhaps old wounds heal....but do not for one second think Torre is in the discussion because for one second do not believe Girardi will be out.

24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Cashman made it pretty clear today that Girardi is still their guy. It would have been a little interesting to see what would have happened if the Cubs or Cardinals didn't name managers already only because it would have made for some very entertaining radio/news paper articles but I don't think Girardi would even consider leaving the Yankees or another team at this point in time.

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not that this means anything but what else are we going to talk about:

Cliff Lee's wife told USA Today's Bob Nightengale that she enjoys the Dallas area and that living there makes her life "a lot easier."

Lee is just weeks away from hitting the free agent market and is expected to score one of the biggest contracts in the history of baseball. The Yankees are known to have interest in signing the dominant lefty, but Lee's wife, Kristen, was treated poorly while at Yankee Stadium for the ALCS. "The fans did not do good things in my heart," she told Nightengale. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it’s hard not to take it personal." Kristen loves the ease of travel in Texas and the proximity to her Arkansas home.

I'm sure over $100 million will help make his wife forget about all of those nasty things she saw and heard though.

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Yankees are expected to give manager Joe Girardi a three-year contract extension.

Heyman adds that talks "shouldn't take long" and that Girardi will haul in around $3 million over the life of the new contract. The Yankees won their 27th World Series title under Girardi in 2009 and went all the way to the ALCS in 2010. You cannot argue with the results thus far and the Yanks will only add to their star-studded roster this offseason.

27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I didnt see that article....I could care less too...he sucked, they sucked, they lost...time to look to making this team better...

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I dont want Torre back...the guy is an awful manager....

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Since when have women ever deterimined where a guy goes....they say they do...then the FA always goes to the team who had the biggest contract..

30. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Right, now I get it.
    Money doesn't mean ANYTHING unless your the one with it.
    Thank you for helping me make my point.
    Teams losing all their favorite players each year is EXACTLY why fans stop caring about a team.
    I've lived it up close and personal being a D-backs fan.
    Once again, you have the "Haves" that will be competitive each and every year....then you have the other 25 teams in the league that CAN'T compete.
    Sure some catch a break every? 10th or 15th season, but then its back to mediocrity.
    The D-backs did indeed buy a championship, and the seats were ALWAYS filled at the BOB, but then they had to pay the money back to the league, they had to sell off players, they were no longer competitive, no longer filled seats, and the owner had to file bankruptcy.
    That's the life of the "Have-nots".
    I'm still a die hard D-backs fan, but I am in the minority cause its not the sylish "winning" way.
    Winners fill seats.
    Money makes winners.

EDIT: Its also interesting that the part about Yankee fans cussing, throwing beer at and spitting on her isn't in your quote. :up:

31. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Well, its not dry but its wet.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...es.girardi/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz13UjfAWy9

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Again, let me know when it’s dry. :lol:

Never underestimate the power of the nagging wife who doesn’t like the city her husband works in. That’s one of the big reasons why Saban left, for example.

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    But for that one year you were the have's, bought everybody and won a championship.....you sound like a cry baby.....ohhh your team has all this money...ooohhhhh my team doesnt...

Well then find a any to generate it, until then, stop sounding like most Americans today hating on the rich, and think they should be taxed more than anybody.....when in reality, the rich are what keep the economy going...case in point...MLB SUBSIDIZED Cliff Lee contract, through revenue sharing, which the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox all contributed too....thats crap, there should be no revenue sharing...you cant fault the Mets, Sox, and Yankees because they are sucessful, MLB literally had to do it themselves because mostly all the teams that get money from revenue sharing pocket it instead of getting players to help themselevs.....again more crap....the system is broken and needs to be fixed...either teams dissolve, or there is a salary cap...honestly nobody in America cares with the exception of Arizonians if the Diamondbacks and their illustrious 12 year histroy dissolves...Colangelo screwed that team, not the Yankees, Sox, or Mets, or Angels...or the big bad haves...

And Yankees fans for the most part are *****, like Red Sox fans, and Philly fans....they dont subscribe to the St. Louis lets all be friends mentaility...funny thinng too Mrs. Lee thought THAT was bad....she should have been in the old Stadium if she wanted to see intimidation....

Ray Finkle likes this.
  34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    This post I had has nothing to do with the haves and have nots of the league. It had to do with Lee's wife being quoting as saying she didn't like New York because of an incident. What you're trying to push as your point has nothing to do with my original post.

You keep yelling and screaming about big market vs. small market and I already explained to you how the system can work to help out the small market teams in the World Series thread so if you want to continue that discussion I'm game.

And I'm sorry but what superstar player have the Diamondbacks lost because of the big bad market teams besides Schilling and Johnson? Besides Brandon Webb and Justin Upton, the Diamondbacks haven't produced any superstar players that these big market teams sign. That's on the ownership and front office and has nothing to do with having or not having money. Your team has had bad management (especially due to all the debt Jerry Colangelo brought on the team in order to bring in tons of superstars) and made stupid decisions in trades and signing players (hello Eric Byrnes). Your team not being good has more to do with bad management then it does because of the big market teams.

And the reason why my post didn't have anything about the Yankee fans doing anything specific to Lee's wife was because the site I copied that post from (rotoworld.com) didn't have it. It's not because I'm trying to hide or defend Yankee fans. So I'm not quite sure what's so interesting about it.

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nice post but I decided to focus on this part of it. Bottom line, in any stadium in the world there will be both good fans and bad ones. In some places there's more good than bad and in some there's more bad than good. It's not like stuff like that only happens in New York or Boston or Philly....

finyank13 likes this.
  36. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Right, if you go to the World Series thread, I posted the "other" things that went on.
    It included cussing glasses of beer being tossed on and being spat upon.
    -
    I understand that money isn't involved in what you posted EXCEPT you back up that regardless of how Cliff's wife was treated (spit on?!?!?) Money would still ultimately have in as a Yankee.
    You are completely and totally contradicting yourself. :lol:

I'm done with the discussion. Feel free to have at it, and sorry for spamming the Yahkee thread. :up:

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I could care less about what the fans actually did as I didn't even bother reading the full article on it just the main points from rotoworld. All I was pointing out is whatever they did and no matter how bad she was treated, she would forget about it because of the money she would receive.

I'm not contradicting myself, you're bringing up two seperate issues/points as you keep going back to the big markets vs. small markets. You're looking for something that isn't there.

finyank13 likes this.
  38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I cant wait when Texas spends some of that 3 billion dollar TV contract money, buys free agents soon, and their dumb *** fans still rag on NY and Boston....

I say good job Texas, you generated the contract, now go make the product better to so it is worth it to the fans paying money to see them play on TV......

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh the best is how people are saying they're happy two small market teams are in the playoffs when San Francisco only has a 100 million dollar payroll (good for 9th in the MLB, 4th in the NL). Yet also fail to realize that Dallas is the 9th largest city in the US, while SF is 12th. And it was only a few years ago that Texas was one of the higher spenders in the game. Texas and SF are not small market teams.

Do people realize that SF has the 3rd highest payroll out of the 8 original playoff teams this year? Do people realize that the #1, #4, #9, #13, #15, #19, #21, & #26 teams in terms of payroll made the playoffs this year? You'd think with the way some people talk that these playoff teams should be #1-8 but obviously that's not the case. Once again payroll alone does NOT equal wins.

Also people crying about small market teams should check their cities population. You might not be the small market team you may think you are or the owner claims.

I hope Texas spends a ton of money this offseason, of course the haters will point and say well they just signed a big TV deal yet fail to realize big market teams like the Red Sox and (especially)Yankees have deals very similiar and is another reason why they're able to spend more money. It's not just strictly ticket sales in play here.

40. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Agreeing with red sox fans is something i rarely do, but Finkle, you put the laces in the right direction this time! Big Market, small market...who the hell cares! The idea that Big market teams are bad for baseball is just plain dumb! Along with "buying" talent, the yankees also put the most homegrown talent on the field out of anybody in major league baseball. They also played in sold out road stadiums 88% of the time. Same with the red sox. For someone to say that small market teams can never have a chance, need to write to their teams' owners and beg them to spend the money they maid off the yankees and red sox and mets for that matter, on the product they are putting out on the field. Plus, a team like the d-backs, who are consistently having losing seasons, are at a serious advantage when it comes to drafting talent! Shouldnt some of these teams be able to develope the talent they are drafting and be able to put a compitent product on the field?

On another topic, C.C. is having knee surgery to repair meniscus, it shouldnt affect his time frame for his off season throwing program.

Ray Finkle likes this.