1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offensive Guard Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keithjackson, Jul 12, 2013.

Who will be the TWO starting Offensive Guards by the END of the season?

1. Richie Incognito

31 vote(s)
    86.1%
  2. John Jerry

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Lance Louis

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  4. Dallas Thomas

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. Other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Every once in a while an idea for a thread comes along that is so fabulously evocative it is shocking it doesn't already exist! As the offseason approaches and visions of tackling encircle our head, we see running backs juking and defensive ends spinning, but let us give props to the most underrated position on the field, the offensive guard.

To many, this area of our team is the weak link, with the lowest expectations - but, hey, if you got to pick where your weak link was, you'd prob pick guard. Well, too bad, because I'm saying here and now that one of the biggest surprises of the offseason will be the improved play of our guards turning from liability to asset. This also will be the tightest camp battle with four qualified suitors for two positions.

Lance Louis was signed to be a starter. He was the best offensive lineman on the entire Chicage team and is here on a one year deal for 3 or 4 million. There is no reason to think he wont elevate his play playing within a better system (yes we have a better online than Chicago). Incognito finished the year strong and somehow earned a pro bowl nod, playing in a contract year. If he falters, he can be cut to save 4 or 5 million, which would prob be the surprise cut of the offseason. This hinges moreso on the play of the cap-friendly youngsters, John Jerry, who this would be the light turns on if it's going to, and Dallas Thomas, who I absolutely love as a left guard, much more so than at left tackle. When I attribute 3or 4 future starters to this draft class, I always include him. If ever a LG and RB were a perfect match, it's Thomas and Lamar Miller. Thomas' run blocking isn't eye-opening, but he has a knack for making just enough of a hole at just the right time. He is a master at creating these subtle and nuanced holes that seem hidden, except for the half second that the running back needs to use them, so when you thought they were gonna run into a crowd, they end up squeezing through, which is exactly what I like from Lamar Miller last year (and was the opposite of Reggie Bush). Lamar has the speed plus the north-south mentality that seems to exploit finding those creases that you don't even know are there in between all the bodies. Finally you have John Jerry, who has gotten noticeably better every year, who has proved a serviceable starter, who is on a team friendly contract, and is probably the best #4 OG in the league.

As competition will make these men play better, and as Mike Pouncey grows a year closer towards elite status, and as Tyson Clabo becomes the best RT we've had since Vernon Carey, not only will we see a much improved squad of Guards than last year, but we will see the beauty of what Ireland has done as far as flexibility for what contracts to sign next offseason, and have confidence in stability at that position for years to come. Let's enjoy watching the players fight, the starters rise, and Miami Dolphins band together as one.

Thoughts? Predictions on our two new guards? Improvements Jerry can make? Can Richie play a whole season the way he ended last year? Who does our scheme and Turner's coaching style benefit most? I put a poll up as to who you think will be our starting two guards by the end of the year - so who did you pick and why?

P h i N s A N i T y, Bpk and smahtaz like this.
  2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I predict two of these guys win the starting OG starter spots. Beyond that it's a toss up IMHO. If Jderry reports to TC in shap and under 345 lbs, which Philbin certainly hAs made clear he damn well better, I see he and Incognito starting, not how I want it but that's how I see it, with the Jerry weight caveat.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I would like to see JJerry win the RG job, but expect Louis to win it.

Bpk likes this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    incognito & louis

Bpk likes this.
  5. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I'd love to see Louis fully healthy and win the job but I also think there's a chance he'd get cut (injury-waiver) if he's not fully healthy come the start of the season. I think Miami felt they could risk it and then not lose much on a 1 year deal and they won't have to pay him the contract if he doesn't come through. It's very iffy that he'll be 100% and ready to go, imo. I think that's partly why the Bears let him go and why Miami was willing to do the deal at really no risk.

And, here's the real deal:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2013/04/02/miami-dolphins-sign-g-lance-louis-rehabbing-from-torn-acl-to-prove-it-contract/

maynard, Bpk and padre31 like this.
  6. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I think Incognito and Jerry start again. Love incognito his attitude, and so do the guys. Jerry is a player who can swing to tackle if needed and play well. Thomas will have to wait a year IMO.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Louis mightnot be100% by training camp, which means we keep 4 guards and Jerry and cogs are our starters inTC. Hopefully Louis can grab the RG position by game 1 or 2

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wish Dallas could compete with Jerry on the right but he hasn't played on that side so I guess he's not even competing over there..

Bpk likes this.
  9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think that if Louis is healthy by the time the regular season begins, he will be the starting RG. If he is still not 100% healthy, Jerry will unfortunately probably be the starting RG to begin the season. Eventually though as Louis regains his full health and is able to contribute on a weekly basis, I expect him to become the full time starter at the RG position.

Thomas will probably make the roster, but I don't see him being anything more than a backup this season. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Thomas doesn't spend most of the season as a non active member of the team on game days. Perhaps he will have a future with the Dolphins but I don't see him being a legitimate starting offensive lineman until at least 2014.

10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

WOuld love to see a cutup showing these four guys reps for comparison.

Failing that, I am going on Louis' reputation, what I have seen of Thomas at OG and OT, and of course guessing how Jerry projects this year based on weight. I think Incog is a safe bet to not be terrible and maybe be above average.

With Martin at Left Tackle I don't think the coaches consider playing a rookie like Thomas next to him. Martin will need Incognito's experience beside him this year.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Looking at that contract, if there is a chance he's going to be healthy during the season (assuming he starts off 'less than healthy'), it makes more sense to keep him along for later in the season in case of injury or if JJ struggles at his position.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Of course the ideal thing would be for JJ to become reliable and play well and Thomas to continue to develop so that the loss of RI, likely at the end of this season (due to age/cost/lack of flexibility in this system/etc) would be minimized. That's not what I think will happen, but it's the best case scenario...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think Incognito and Lance Louis will be the starters provided Louis' knee recovers. If not, then I suspect John Jerry will get the nod.

That being said, I'm not afraid to go out on a limb and say that I think Dallas Thomas will be a starter at some point this season. I doubt it'd be right off the bat as I think Miami will want Richie's experience next to Jonathan Martin, and not a rookie, but I think Dallas Thomas is the long-term LG of the team.

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Another reason I wish Thomas could play right guard, I don't want to get rid if Richie, think he's very underrated, and excellent for the locker room, and he's only 30.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Thomas is also coming off of a torn labrum, it will take time to rehab that to NFL standards.

16. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wasn't Thomas back at mini-camp? I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be full-go for training camp.

17. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, if Thomas really impresses, it wouldn't surprise me if they put Richie Incognito at RG - he played well there for the Rams, and was the RG for the Bills in his brief stint there. I just think it'd be a matter of the coaching staff not wanting a rookie playing next to Martin on Tannehill's blindside. At least not right off the bat.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of shape John Jerry comes in at for training camp.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    oh yeah that's right, Jerry better step up then cause richie will replace him next year over there, slide Thomas in, then look for a right tackle in the draft and a tight end.