1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Thrilled With My 1st $$$ League Team

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by slickj101, Aug 17, 2009.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    12 team, PPR, 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 1-3 WR, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K. 8 players starting total

Important to know that QB TDs are only worth 4 points, .04 for every passing yard, theres no completion or rush points for them.

QB: Matt Ryan (6)

RB: MJD (1), Moreno (5), Bradshaw (8)

WR: Wayne (2), Colston (3), Cotchery (7), Harvin (9)

TE: Gates (4), Keller (10)

Bench (Who I'm targeting): Bess, Hillis, Chilenz or Henry, a decent D, Orton (he plays Stl during Ryans bye)

I'm really not too happy with this so far.

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't like MJD this year. I know everyone has him ranked high, but I'm not a believer in Jacksonville's offense. He'll do good, but not top 5 pick good, IMHO.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think he's solid.

I'm in a PPR league so that's also huge since he's really their only passing weapon except for Holt.

Their OL only got better (don't be fooled by how good our passrush is). They drafted Monroe and Thomas has been playing very well.

His schedule is cake.

What don't you like about him?

4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's not so much what I don't like about him. It's what I like about others that I think should be picked ahead of him. I think he's worth taking in the first round. I would just question where you took him. Some people are taking him 2nd or 3rd overall. I don't agree with taking him so early.

But to nitpick -

I question his ability to carry the load with Fred Taylor gone.

David Garrard is not a very good QB, IMO which means MJD could find it tough to run if he's their only weapon.

He's regressed since his performance his rookie year, IMO.

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    His YPC did regress since his rookie year, but his receptions have also dramatically increased. His TDs last year were 1 off of his rookie season.

I don't doubt that he can carry the load since he's never been seriously injured and has only missed 1 game. I don't think Jax will be asking for a monster workload either.

Their offense def hasn't declined very much since last year, IMO. Losing Jones is the only negative I can think of.

I really don't see how he isn't top 3 in PPR.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I love the MJD pick...im debating him or Adrian Peterson at 1 overall in my ppr league. While I dont love the Jacksonville offense I felt the same way about Michael Turner last year. Sometimes the teams who are short on weapons have the best RB's to draft because they have to use their rbs in the passing game also. Having Torry Holt to stretch the field a bit will be good for the Jags.

I dont like the Ryan pick and I definitely think you need a 3rd back for the bye weeks of Moreno and MJD. While Ryan added Gonzalez in the passing game their schedule is considerably harder this year and teams are gonna be ready. Im assuming the big name qb's are taken but Id take a flyer on a QB like Hasselbeck coming off an injury filled year who you could buy low on. I also really like Matt Cassel in the spread offense. He has at least 4 games vs teams that are going to be below average defensively (Denver and Oakland) and a relatively workable schedule which is key in a PPC league. I took Cassel in my 14 team league and took Pennington as a backup (for week 1 when cassel plays Baltimore)

slickj101 likes this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think Harvin and now Farve, are all the more reason to go MJD. I know I would of taken him at #1. Like you said, plenty of guys have had success in the same situation and he has a ton of positives like schedule, pass catching and no competition.

The Ryan pick was pretty much desperation. There was really nothing left at QB at this point and I figured that Ryan would still be throwing more in a pretty nice offense. My backup is Pennington and the week I need him, we play the Bills. I'll be keeping an eye on the wire. Keep in mind that QB TDs are only 4 pts in this league compared to 6 at every other position.

My backup for MJD and Moreno is Bradshaw. I like him a lot and the week I need to use him, they play Arizona. I don't mind that matchup.

I think the guy that will really make or break me this year is Cotchery. I'll look to start him until Moreno (or Buckhalter since I picked him up) takes over in Denver.

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Even in PPR leagues that only start 1 back I still favor having a 2nd back. Backs that you can count on for 20+ touches a game give you a sweet advantage because you pretty much know theyre getting 20 touches every game. Even the best WR's will have weeks where they only get 3-4 catches so there's less opportunity there for TD's. Plus injuries are just extremely prevalent at rb. IMO you also reached on Gates. Keller alone would have been fine; he had 535 in basically 5-6 games since he went the from about game 3 to 12 without doing much. Maybe trade Gates for a good back

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    O i def reached on Gates. But at the same time I didn't like any RBs that were left. Guys that were left were Lynch, Grant, LJ, TJ, and Ward. Ward was the only one I really considered, but his schedule is brutal and he'll be splitting carries with at least Graham.

My first time ever in a league that gives the option of starting 1-3 RBs and WRs (4 total).

I figured that I should have a lot of firepower at TE to help the rest of my team.

10. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Yuck. I wouldn't be happy, either. I'm seeing several gaping holes in your draft...

1. Why did you burn a 10th round pick on a backup TE? Can you seriously envision a time when you'll be benching Antonio Gates, short of a bye week?

2. Not in love with Harvin in round 9. Rookie receiver on a run-first team? Maybe about 4-5 rounds later I'd be interested in him.

3. Your RB depth is crap. You're counting on a Denver RB and a backup as your depth, and that's it. You're going to be playing 3 receivers most weeks, I guess. And yes, I like Moreno okay this year, but Denver is going to remain RB hell; don't think for a moment that Moreno is going to be a 300+ carry bell cow. Not with Correll Buckhalter and Lamont Jordan around.

4. A 6th on Matt Ryan? Did you look at his stats last year? He's the new Troy Aikman: he's a fine real life QB, but he's not going to put up big numbers. I would not consider him as a starter in anything short of a 14 or 16 team league.

You'd have been further ahead blowing your entry fee on strippers and booze. And I'm a bit perplexed: I've seen some of your other drafts and they looked good. Yet here you completely fell apart after round 4.

11. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Wait a minute, you passed on both Lynch and Grant to take Gates? I take back my original comment: your draft fell apart after round 3, not 4. You could have had Lynch in 4, then used that 10th round pick on Fred Jackson, instead of Dustin Keller, used the 5th rounder on a better QB, and then waited until around 7 or 8 to get a TE and been MUCH farther ahead.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Have you seen Lynch an Grant's stats from last year? Both were pretty awful (def Grant more than Lynch). Grant will be losing work on passing downs. Lynch will lose 3 games and will probably end up splitting carries with Fred Jackson when he gets back. I wouldn't want to rely on either of those guys.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    No, but Keller was great value and if I do want to move Gates or his toe injury returns then I'll be ok.

Min does love Harvin and they already designed 15-20 plays specifically for him. They're going to use him all over the field at RB, WR, and QB. If anything, he's a slot receiver with a ton of upside.

I only need to start 1 RB a week and obviously that will be MJD until Moreno establishes himself which I believe he will, as long as he stays healthy.

I don't like Ryan either but I do think he has room for improvement. Atl ran all the time last year bc their schedule had some awful teams. I know they'll be throwing a lot more and Ryan def has some nice options there and a good OL. We'll see. But yea I'd like to upgrade that spot. I didn't prioritize QB as high bc of the downgrade in scoring for this league.

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Grant had 1200 yards and 5 TDS after being injured and missing camp to start the year. His first 6 games were exrtremely up and down as he tried to play through the injuries. He can only be better this year imo. Passing him up was a bad call in my opinion.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    To my knowledge, he held out of camp for $ and his biggest injury was a thumb issue. Up and down was putting it extremely nicely. I'd just say horrible.

Here's his stats from my league last year:

1 Min 9
    2 @Det 2
    3 Dal 3
    4 @TB 2
    5 Atl 8
    6 @Sea 9
    7 Ind 19
    8 BYE - - - -
    9 @Ten 8
    10 @Min 13
    11 Chi 21
    12 @NO 10
    13 Car 3
    14 Hou 17
    15 @Jac 11
    16 @Chi 17
    17 Det 13

If I want that kind of production then I might as well start Bradshaw. Not to mention the fact that he only had 18 receptions to Brando Jackson's 30. And as far as his playoff schedule, he gets Chicago and Pittsburg for weeks 14 and 15. No thank you.

Grant is one of those guys that I just would never draft. At least not this year.