1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-PM thread - FA

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ohio Fanatic, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    How about a different thread centered on FA not named Manning?

What about the 2 guards Minny just cut - Herrera and Hutchinson? I know Hutchinson is done, can't finish a season. Herrera is 31 and still played 12 games last season. might be worth a look

Puka-head likes this.
  2. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I don't think so. We tried the old, breaking down approach a couple of years ago in Smiley and Grove. Drafting Decastro or Reiff at #8 may be our best bet to address the OL.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Well, if we don't get a stud pass rusher at #8, then I definitely would like to see a Olineman. Unless of course we don't get manning or Flynn, then QB is obvious

smahtaz likes this.
  4. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    If we are going to poach someone from minnesota I would prefer vinsanthe shiancoe. But thats just me.

dolfan32323, Conuficus and Pandarilla like this.
  5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Craig Steltz
    Early Doucet

Two FAs I'm really high on

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ummm...Smiley and Grove were in no way old...broken down, perhaps but not old...

So you think we draft another 1st rounder for the OL and forget about all our other needs ?? I don't know about that course of action either, although I like both of those guys... Based off Shermans comments from a month ago, I think they go a different route than OL in the first...

We've got to shore up our S spots, both of them. I think there are some guys out there that fit the bill and could even be reasonable at both FS and SS....I think Bell gets cut and perhaps is asked back at a lower price, but he certainly showed his age last season, so we need to upgrade there. And who exactly was our FS ?? I can't remember because I'm not sure we even had one... We have to replace the pass rushing presence of JT as well in FA...there might be a few guys there...maybe even Freeney at a lower price...does that aid in getting Manning here ?? LOL... We have a bunch of holes to fill and a limited cap space...particularly if we miss on Manning and have to go with Flynn...

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

just speaking position wise i'd like to see us fill S, pass rush, QB, OL and not necessarily in that order

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, we need another pass rusher and an OL in the 1st and 2nd, in either order. Depending on how free agency goes. I think if we don't sign Manning we will sign Flynn.

smahtaz likes this.
  9. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Yes, I should have said older vs. old.

I don't disagree with you that both safety positions are in need of an upgrade, but I can't see Miami spending the #8 pick on Baron. And there isn't another safety in the draft worthy of going in round 1 imo. Signing Manning makes OL the #1 priority. Signing Flynn allows Maimi the option of going a different route with the 8th pick, Coples or Ingram perhaps, but there are certainly questions with both those guys. Let's face it, this draft is week on defense. Value wise, unless Richardson or Blackmon or Claiborne falls to #8, which is not likely, OL is the best value given our current needs/holes.

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I'm more concerned about the outside pass rush at this time. At least there are OL prospects already on the roster. With a top ten pick I would hope a high impact player is selected.

11. smahtaz

I really like Doucet. What kind of money do you think he’s looking for?

Isn’t Steltz a SS? What about Reggie Nelson and move Clemons or Jones to SS.

12. MrClean

Smiley was 27 when we signed him and Grove was 29. Both were right in their prime. Both had injury histories though that Parcells seemed to disregard.

13. MrClean

Steltz has been mainly a SS when he's played defense, but he is more a special teamer. 2011 was the first year he played significant defensive snaps with 419. He didn't play any in 2010, 154 in 2009, and 135 in 2008.

I'd rather sign Nelson to play FS and move Clemons to SS, and Jones to the Greyhound Bus Depot.

smahtaz likes this.
  14. smahtaz

What about a midnight train to Georgia?

MrClean likes this.