1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nolan's Defense is #6 in NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Nov 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is odd for me as I typically think "team" and rarely attribute a unit's success to one coach.."but"...There is no denying the job Mike Nolan has done this season:

10th in points allowed, and keep in mind the Special Team's return TD's count against them as well as Int's returned for TD's that is 21 or 28 points and look at who we have played.

6th Total Yds allowed at about 300 per game

4th in passing yds allowed with 200 ypg

13th in rushing yds allowed with 105 ypg

And this is with dropping 10 int's, and with far fewer sacks than in 09, we have 27 which is 17 short of 09's 44 with 5 games to go.

turnover ratio is -3.

For some perspective in 09:

-26th -8 TO ratio
    -25th in points allowed
    -25th against the pass

Cannot find the stats but we were top 10 vs the run in 09.

So all in all, Nolan's Defense has created a 10 place jump in every category save for run defense, and has improved the +/- ratio by 5, and it should be more like +3 or so if the Db's could consistently cash in on their opportunities.

2. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    He's done a great job and we're lucky to have him. Only problem is that with another good year, you might hear his name start popping up for HC opportunities again.

3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I thought our running D was better than 13th. I think AP and CJ are the only ones who had their way with the D.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

That is the downside, we were kind of lucky to land him as we originally had looked at the Steelers Lb Coach.

And we still have Bill Sheridan on staff, he had a one yr shot in NY to be the DefCord, maybe spending time and working with Nolan helps him step up his game?

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think with Nolan we see that the players are generally in position to make plays. They haven't always executed (dropped INTs and missed tackles), but you rarely see plays where the defense is completely lost. You also see this defense make adjustments. Other than the Raven's game, I can't recall a game where I felt our defense was just out-coached. I also remember seeing our defense give up too many long conversions, although in those situations there was usually a player in position who just missed the play. I had no idea that our rating was so high, but it was clear that Nolan was doing a good job of putting his players in position to succeed.

DolfanTom likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Nolan does not mind guys rushing for 100 yds in exchange for better pass defense Forte had close to 100, fairly sure that Johnson went for over 100 yds as well, eh no big deal we were in both games guys throwing for over 300 yds against us is a bit more rare.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yeah I like what Miami is doing to their Line, I think they are developing into a very good unit....sign Wakey and Soli to an extension....can you imagine if Merling and Odrick see their potential play out?? You are talking it could be dominate...I believe they need a legit CB opposite VD, then you can slide SS over as the 3rd CB, and find one more LB...whoa...

Now if Miami get the same from the other side of the ball....

8. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Padre, if you take out the special teams points and the defensive scores...where do we rank in terms of average points allowed per game? For example yesterday, Miami's D only gave up 10 points with seven more coming by way of special teams. Same can be said about the New England game.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well keep in mind the pick 6 as well.

right now we have given up 225 pts, the next closest team has also given up 197, so we would be tied with the Saints so I think we would be tied for 6th or so.

10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I love how the whole thread is spun into all Nolan. The personnel is young and full of fire. That definitely needs to be taken into account as a variable of why this defense is playing so well. :wink2:

adamprez2003 and Califin like this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    get this KP, they have developed, who would have thunk players can actually do that...you know get better....?

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Have you taken a look at Denver's Defense this season?

From top 10 in 09 to...#32...in a single season.

Credit where it is due, Nolan is good, so is Crennel and Weis in KC.

CashInFist, jetssuck and Samphin like this.
  13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I took so much heat for wanting young players on this defense. Now they are playing very well. I don't want the credit but they sure deserve some.
    When I was beating down JT and calling him done this is exactly what I was talking about...... a future. Development is key and you can't develop a mid 30 something player on his last leg. Even the person who started this thread told me you couldn't be successful with a bunch of kids on the field. Oh the irony! :up:

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    When did I once say that Nolan wasn't a good DC?

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh, is that what it is?

you funny Killahp, the youngsters are playing well, you were right.

I bang the drum every offseason to switch to the 4-3..one day..oh yes..one day..:yes:

The really crazy thing is, missing Merling and Odrick the defense is still playing this well, when both are healthy next season who leaves the Dline rotation?

Bpk likes this.
  16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Not like he makes much of an impact when healthy.....

17. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah Merling is a bust. Ever since he was told to put on a few pounds he got real lazy and slow. Everyone lives off of that one play.
    I have been on record as saying Odrick is a bust too but that isn't because of what I see on the field really and I'm still on the fence but my gut tells me we are going to have an injury history with the guy. Good chance I'm wrong at least let's hope.

Bpk likes this.
  18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought against the Jets he got beat...their misdirection combined with sanchez's feet are tough for us to stay ahead of...were gonna need to do something drastic to change that rhythm.

19. Samphin

This is the same defense that has Channing Crowder, the bane of your existance in the middle. In fact, the D has played even better once he came back. Since we are giving players credit and all...

But I tend to agree about the youngsters. It is a nice combo to have with young talented defenders married with a talented defensive coordinator that puts them in the right positions to make plays. They just now have to make them. As Padre's numbers show, the defenders are getting put in the right spots to make plays. Sometimes they make them, other times not. That will come with more experience though I think. If they stay healthy, i think this defense has a chance to be considered great next year.

BlameItOnTheHenne and smahtaz like this.
  20. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The same Channing Crowder that was non existent yesterday. Not a single hit on the stat sheet. Don't look now but his counterparts are passing him by in talent and production. That ILB spot is is one of the few weaknesses that need to be addressed. Overall depth could be another but that comes with development.

djphinfan likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He's decent, this was yr #3 for him as well, and his production was ahead of Kendall Langford up until now.

22. Samphin

I just wanted to give you crap. :lol:

Although I don't mind Crowder as much as a few others. He will never be the stat king, but he is a solid glue guy that I think others respond too.

Pandarilla likes this.
  23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :lol:

Not tough to get me wound up when it comes to Crowder huh Sam.....

24. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think most of the improvement is due to the development of Vontae, Clemons, Wake, Soliai and the addition of Dansby but credit is due Nolan also. He is a marked improvement over Pasquoloni. Successful defenses are aggressive defenses and Nolan brings the aggressiveness that Pasq was allergic too. Its a good combination. The thing I'm happy with regarding Nolan is that there doesnt seem to be a dip in effectiveness as there seemed to be in Denver the year prior. I think thats due to our young guys growing up

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Denver last yr was a veteran defense that tried to mask to many things and it caught up with them, this is yet another gripe of mine about McAdolescent, he needed to reload the D as Nolan found out, BDawk and a secondary with 4 starters close or over 30 and no passrushers just is not going to have success.

26. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Our run defense is shaky at times, our tackling leaves a lot to be desired and we can't catch interceptions that would change games, not enough players.

That said, when our depth on the defensive line comes back, we find a true down hill thumper to play with Dansby, add another edge rusher and our secondary players start putting away some of their chances I think we'll have a fine defense. We're a couple of players away from being potentially dominant IMO.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  27. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    we're already a fine defense. when we add the pieces you mentioned we will be a ferocious top three dominant defense

28. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I would have loved to have added Brandon Graham in the draft. I think the guy will eventually be a real fine edge rusher. It would have been nice to have a guy like that to develop on the other side of Wake.

29. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, I wanted Brandon Graham as well, but I give credit to Ireland as Misi played well and looks to be getting stronger. Hell, he almost made a sweet interception yesterday...

Nolan might just save Sparano his job. Hope we can pull a turnaround on offense like we did with defense. New coordinator and heavy offensive draft.

Killerphins likes this.
  30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Speaking of the offense, guess who has a legit shot at 1,000 yds?

Brian Hartline..616 with 5 games left

31. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    Are you guys surprised? Nolan is a very good defensive coach. Head coach? Not too much.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sam, dobbins had 6, crowder 0, he also got killed trying to fill a hole...I just dont see enough to consider him safe in this defense.

Bpk likes this.
  33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the one play that Jacoby scored for a TD was an all out blitz, the problem was our guys started the blitz way to far back, They had clear lanes at the QB, but took way to long to get there..result, the QB was able to set and release a perfect throw....6 points...I thought to my self after that play, W..T..F..

34. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Uh huh... I noted that as well. I wondered if he played yesterday. But, it appears that even if he was on the field, he didn't play.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Tim Dobbins played his first good game as a Dolphin yesterday.

Anonymous likes this.
  36. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO, Nolan doesn't even want to be a HC anymore. That niners team was so poorly handled and it was clear that he had no idea how to develop a team that i just can't imagine he wants to take another crack at that. The ironic thing about the niners was that Nolan could no longer coach the defense as the HC (ya know, like sparano doesn't get to coach the Oline now) and they clearly suffered for it. They're defensive line was continually bad under him, their LBs were mediocre save for P. Willis, and their secondary was pretty so-so too even after shelling out all that money for Clements. Nolan probably left the niners feeling like a complete failure because they in no way shape or form accomplished anything he set out to do with them.

Hes very well paid at his position as it is and the stress level cannot be anywhere near the same. He'd have to be offered one sweet HC job to leave IMO.

37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I cant wait for this week, with a running back who absolutely on fire....it will be a good measuring stick for this defense...

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    BTW, the Raiders 16 total yards rushing is the #1 or #2 Dolphins defensive performance in franchise history:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/30/1949193/sundays-shutdown-among-miamis.html

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hillis reminds me of a young Brandon Jacobs.

40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah same here Pads...funny though Jacobs is still not old...he has just disappeared...