1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFP Mock Draft-Second Round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Feb 3, 2009.

1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/nfp-mock-draft-second-round/

Besides the fact we have the 44th pick from the Redskins, not the 45th, I have no issues with Delmas at that pick. Take note he has Clint Sintom at #44 which is our actual pick.

But if we pick Pat White with our original 2nd round pick I will vomit all over myself. Forget the fact Pat White should go no higher than the 3rd or 4th round, but to take a guy with no true position with Connor Barwin, Eric Wood, Derrick Williams and Tyronne Green still on the board is draft suicide.

Skeet84 and padre31 like this.
  2. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

You won't. If we pick Pat White in the 2nd round, it'll only take an hour or so before everyone around here has talked himself into believing it to be a move of pure draft genius.

alen1 likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I usually like NFP because they do great work, especially Mike Lombardi but I'm not a fan of their draft stuff. Look at this -

How do you say that and then slot Andre Smith there?

Aaron Curry at twelve?

And I don't see us going Michael Johnson.

joeydolfan likes this.
  4. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    No way I could talk myself into believing that is a genius draft move. Would take for him to show me something in the league before I change my mind.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Poor guy fell for the ruse.

6. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I'm just bantering, mate.

But truth to be told, I like Pat White a lot and I wouldn't scream bloody murder if we used a 2nd round pick on him. I see the rational behind the whole luxury pick argument but I wouldn't vomit all over myself if we drafted him. He's smart, he's a baller, he's got a lot of tools to work with as a development receiver and occasional wildcat gimmicky QB and he'll impact right away on special teams. There's worse picks in the 2nd round than Pat White.

joeydolfan likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And I would be downright giddy to get Louis Delmas at #44. Some coaches always preach that you build from the inside-out. The DTs, the MLB, and the Safeties are the middle of your defense and they need to be the strength. Imagine if we signed Karlos Dansby, then drafted Rey Maualuga and Louis Delmas. Ferguson, Dansby, Maualuga, Delmas and Bell would be a heck of an interior of the defense to build out with.

8. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Give me an OLB (Sintim, English or whoever grades highest on our board) instead of Maualuga and I'm a happy Gigolo in April.

Skeet84 likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Altogether he'd have us with Michael Johnson, Louis Delmas and Pat White. Hrm. I could see a lot of people being very disappointed with that. The Johnson pick at #25 wouldn't disappoint me as much as the Pat White pick at #57, truthfully.

Skeet84 likes this.
  10. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Neither Johnson nor White really fit into the Parcells/Ireland mold of players for day 1 so I'd suspect that the chances for everyone to get upset about this particular selection are rather slim.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of Michael Johnson but I would rather take him at the twenty-five spot than Pat White at the fifty-seven spot. If we go wide receiver, I rather us take a guy whose played it already and has some games under his belt playing it.

Skeet84 likes this.
  12. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Not that I dis like Pat White as a player, I am just a big believer in staying true to your board and most have him as a 4th rounder, 3rd at the earliest. Using a 4th rounder on him, no problem, lets see if he can play.

But to pass up on a true starter like an OL or LB or DB over a guy who may be a QB, may be A WR? Yeah, I would have a problem with that.

13. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Gotta veto that. You can afford to blow a low second round pick on occasion but you usually can't afford to blow a 1st round selection. Johnson is the epitome of boom or bust. I wouldn't touch a guy like that in the 1st round with a pole. A luxury gamble at the end of the 2nd? Not the best of moves but I will gladly take it over a gamble in the 1st round.

14. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Not sure how high I am at this point on Maualuga, I know most of the Gurus say he has issues with missing assignments and playing out of control, but on the other hand GRT8 comes on the board and makes a point in that is how he is scheme to play in USC defense and for all intensive purposes we would be foolish to pass on him.

I can say one thing for Rey, Rey, he makes impact plays despite some flaws. I would rather have a guy that screws up occasionally and can make impact plays to turn games in your favor rather than a guy who plays it safe all game but almost never makes a big play (insert Crowder).

That issue along with his knees as CK has mentioned is another reason I do not think the front office is so hot on re signing him.

15. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    No thank you on Johnson either. I have seen enough of his play to know he is too hot and cold for a 1st rounder. To be honest, I would really like to see us trade down and pick up another 2nd and possibly an extra 3rd rounder as I am of the opinion there are some real baller's in those rounds this year.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true. I think that the potential and talent level at that spot is too much to pass up though. And he's been playing this position for a while, opposed to Pat White having never played it from what I know. I don't want Johnson either but if he was there at 25, I think it would be difficult to pass him up.

17. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

As am I. Thing is, I have him as 2nd round talent on mine because I'm pretty certain that he can play. I understand the argument that the Dolphins have more pressing needs to adress, rendering White into a luxury pick, but since we're talking staying true to the board ... I mean, if you're saying "most" got him as a 3rd or 4th round talent, you're talking guys like you and me and the rest of this board who happen to own a draft site/blog. We won't know until April where people doing this stuff professionally have him.

18. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

To steal Simon's catch phrase: Potential doesn't play on Sundays. When we're talking first round selections, I want consistent production and Johnson did not produce consistently. He doesn't only take plays off - he takes games off. You can get cute with upside picks on day 2 or at the end of day 1 if you particularly want to but the 1st round is a bad place to draft potential. In most cases, you end up with no production.

joeydolfan and alen1 like this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    All good points and I agree. Not a fan of either at that pick but in the end, if you asked me which one do you like more at those picks, honestly I say Michael Johnson. And that's what my original post was about.

20. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Thank you and well said, I think our head office proved last year they will take production over upside last year especially in the 1st round.

21. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Agreed, still have the combine to go through and who knows, maybe Pat White shows really good WR skills there and runs a great 40 time. We already know he can handle the ball well, can be elusive in the open field and is actually a better passer than most think.

22. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Fair enough, mate. Though personally, I'd rather draft White at #25 than Johnson.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with that. I think he needs to learn to look off defenders though. He stares down his wide receivers often.

24. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Too bad Ozzie Newsome has found his one trick pony QB already ...

25. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Not to get too off topic here but does anyone else think we may only take a 2nd day pick for a NT this year? Just look at the guys coming out next year and the field is much better IMO.

Terrence Cody, DeMarcus Granger, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Al Woods, Vince Oghobaase and Marvin Austin if he declares early.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wouldn't shock me considering Ferguson and Ratliff were second day picks.

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I like this rotation.

Porter and Wake on the OLB
    Laurinitis and Dansby in the ILB

With Roth..Ayodele subbing.

Thats alot of guys who can rush the passer and are athletic enough to drop into coverage.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cody Brown has interest from several teams.

And the Bengals are interested in him as well. I would have to think that Ireland and co. spoke to him or will soon.

Also, Preston Parker has been kicked off of the FSU football team and may enter the Supplemental draft.

29. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    No thank you on Parker and I highly doubt the head office would have interest on a kid that has been arrested 3 times already. Weapons, Marijuana and DUI offense already. :no:

30. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    The Pat White pick makes me sick! No way he should be a day one pick

derek likes this.