1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFP 3-Round Mock Draft....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Mar 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I love all these people eating the cheese with Pat White.

3. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    To save some time:

4. Tractor Traylor

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree. Pat White would be a luxury pick for us and at this stage, and that early in the draft, we can't afford it. Also, I find it hard to believe that we would pass on players like James Casey, Darry Beckwith, and Cody Brown for a wrinkle in the wildcat. There are plenty of guys who could be considered in the 6th/7th/UDFA range that could bring comparable results.

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That's because people honestly think we run the Wildcat formation 50% of the time.

I swear, every opposing fan I hear "All you guys do is run the Wildcat, only reason you win..."

The reply is always the same, "No. We run it, on average, about 3 or 4 times a game you idiot..."

B.Sebo, SICK, Stitches and 1 other person like this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah it's maybe 10 percent of our offensive play calling. LOL.

7. Tractor Traylor

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    On a side note, is anyone surprised that Jayson Foster wasn't ever used in it? With quarterback experience and his quickness (and the fact that Parcells liked him), he could accomplish what Pat White would bring, without the high draft pick. I'm not saying we should sign him but just an observation...

8. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    I would love if the phins drafted Kenny Britt he is tough kid....

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think they alluded to the fact that when we originally talked about the Wildcat in training camp, they had different personnel in mind for it. That could have been Jayson Foster. But he was too clueless as a WR and return guy, and as Sparano says if you can't do enough jobs you don't get on the roster.

The Dolphins could take a look at a Rodney Landers and certainly a Zach Miller and see what they have to offer as a RB and TE, respectively, with Wildcat potential. I would be absolutely tickled if we looked at Zach Miller. I still see those two as the only players in this draft that truly add something as a Wildcat thrower.

10. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    If Tebow falls to us next year, you think we'll pull the trigger if we don't get Landers or Miller?

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The thing about having a 'Wildcat' player on the roster is, he has to be able to do other things.

You can't draft Pat White with the Wildcat in mind if you project him to be your #3 QB. Your 3rd QB isn't active on gameday because it's a waste of a roster spot, and you have the luxury of activating him and only him during a game if you lose your Top 2 guys (i.e. prior to the 4th quarter, if he plays the other two guys become inactive).

So if he's going to be active, he's got to be able to contribute at WR, KR/special teams, etc. Somewhere. And if that's the case, you've got to be prepared to essentially burn his rookie season at QB, because being a rookie QB in the NFL is daunting enough. Asking him to also return kicks/punts, play WR, line up in the Wildcat, etc.

That's why it makes sense to A) draft a non-QB prospect that will contribute in other ways, or B) draft White with the intent of primarily playing him somewhere else.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Nope.

13. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Isn't the element of surprise part of the beauty of the Wildcat?

I mean, if Ronnie Brown runs the Wildcat, teams don't know its coming until he's the lone back behind center and Chad splits out wide. If we had a designated Wildcat guy, once he enters the huddle, the opposition can substitute accordingly.

My point: The Wildcat is effective because it is run by our starting tailback. If we had a designated Wildcat man, it would be less effective.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Best Wildcat option who can also impact at his normal position= TE James Casey.

MrClean and djphinfan like this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's why Casey would be perfect. :wink2: Defenses won't know whether he's lining up at TE or running the Wildcat. Plus he upgrades Martin and complements Fasano perfectly.... as well as adding much needed physicalness to the receiver position (redzone and blocking).

He might not be the best blocker right now against LB's, but I bet he beats the snot out of DB's in 2 TE sets where he's lined up outside! Defenses would have no clue how we're about to use him.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if we dont use our #1 pick on receiver {no sense in adding any receivers unless they have superior talent} then imo, there could'nt be a better offensive option to add to this particular offense then James Casey, the diversity he adds to a already diverse multidimensional offense is bliss.

About Pat white.....i like cheese..... good football character, good football player, has the potential to be diverse, could be our third string project and our future back up to henne {and equipped with skills that a normal backup does'nt posess} with all that in a fourth round pick, I'll take it.

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No, because the Wildcat wasn't usually run out of a normal packages.

Usually it was run out of a 3-HB, 2-TE package, sometimes with one of the TEs subbed out for a fullback. That in itself tips teams off, I dont think any modern formations use that kind of package.