1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL's new kickoff rule

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by steveincolorado, Aug 21, 2011.

1. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't know about anyone else, but I hate this rule. I understand the safety issues, but damn. In the 2 weeks of preseason games, why even have kickoffs? I know the league wants to get rid of them, but damn, it's part of the game.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sucks, in a word.

I hate to say it CO, but the NFL is becoming pussified, to many accountants running things in NYC.

Soundwave likes this.
  3. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Hopefully the league can do the right thing, but they won't. I think the NFL hates football.

padre31 likes this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It is amazing isn't it?

One would think if they had their choice they would wear flags on their hips and play only for 200 per game ppv.

5. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Watch, next year they will do away with punts.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I know the CFL gets bagged on, however they have no such nonsense, they have a no yds rule that creates a bubble for the returner and rare is there an injury on a kickoff.

7. bigmac62

bigmac62 New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Upstate New York
    This rule is awful! It gives little to no chance of seeing someone like a Devin Hester or a Dante Hall run it back for a touchdown...it just flies out of the end zone. Heaven forbid we should have a penalty marched off on the kickoff...it'll be flying out of the stadium!I can see it maybe...maybe preventing injury, but exactly how many major injuries did we see on the kickoff last year? Not many.It just got boring after about the second time it flew out of the end zone in the first game I saw. Why not just place it at the 20 to start? That's where it's going to go anyway.

steveincolorado likes this.
  8. bigmac62

bigmac62 New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Upstate New York
    And while I'm thinking about it, why, oh why do we now have a rule that once the helmet comes off the play is dead? I just saw a Cowboys player still run with his helmet off and run it in for a touchdown, but guess what, oh no, it's not a touchdown now. I almost expected all 40,000 or so fans in attendance to start chanting "No Fun League" (although they did start booing, for that and a penalty on the play), but why do we have this rule? I can understand, again, most likely for safety, but give me a break!

9. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'm all for tough players, big hits, killing the enemy...but Kick-offs are the most barbaric and most dangerous play in sports. Its the play where so many of the devastating paralysis injuries occur. 22 men, 11 on 11 running full speed at each other over a large distance like a scene out of Braveheart, its insanely dangerous. I can see the leagues point. I'd sacrifice kick-offs to keep the game going.

Honestly, I think they need to protect the QB and WRs way less. Those guys get babied and under much safer conditions. But kickoffs are a bit nuts. I think the game needs them, and they made them a little bit safer. I have no problem with it.

10. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    The NFL is doing a great job of ruining the game of football.

bigmac62 and padre31 like this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, who was the last NFL player to be seriously injured on kickoff duty?

Soundwave and steveincolorado like this.
  12. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Pads, that picture reminds me so much on Mercury Morris.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Had to change it up a bit as Parcells is gone and Sparano is the Captain of his own ship now.

Someone used to have sigpic with Morris on it with Griese in the background that reminded me a bit of that picture.

And let me tell ya, both the Sun Sentinnel and PBP's galleries were one third Reggie Bush pics.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I hate the rule change. I think the NFL has to decide if the game needs kick offs or not. If it needs them then you live with the injury risk and tweak other rules. If it doesn't then you spot the ball at the 20 like in some of those pee wee league scrimmages. As it stands, I expect that returns will go down about 70% once the real games start.

15. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    during the game telecast, Griese actually stated that....how back in his day, a former back was claimed to be incapable of running between the tackles "by the experts" and proved everyone wrong. Mr. Bush, meet Mr. Morris!

now if we can find a Csonka, and Kick combo as well that would be solid.

16. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Kid on the Bills a few years back. Broke his neck.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Corey Wooten on the Bears 1st KO in their 1st preseason game this year tore up his knee.

Sethdaddy8 and gafinfan like this.
  18. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I, for one, have no problem with the new (return to old) rule. This weekend alone two players got knocked out during returns. the worst being the small RB on the Pats team. He tried to get up while several team mates tried to make him stay on the ground! Very scary as he tried to stand he fell back but others caught him!

This from Football Outsiders:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2011/blogging-nfl-rule-book-2011-changes

This is the way I see some using this, to their advantage, It really is a natural progression if one wants to pen the other team inside the 20 rather than just being poed about it. Not surprised that this came from the Jets ST coach. He's a dang good one that Whanny fired to bring on a buddy. We've been screwed ever since!

While some see this as an empty water glass others see it as a way to try something different, I like the outside the box thinking myself! One can boo-hoo or get off the pot and find an answer!

Sethdaddy8 and Stitches like this.