1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL teams pay price for failure....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/496097.html
    good read

TOP PRICE FOR TOP PICKS

This year, the Dolphins will attempt to do something no other team in the past five years has been able to accomplish: Lessen the potential risk of drafting a player first overall. No doubt, In a league of rising costs, it will be a tough task. Check out the contracts of the past five first picks (with an emphasis on the guaranteed money) to see what Dolphins executive
    Bill Parcells is up against:

QB JaMarcus Russell: Six years, $61 million, $29 million guaranteed.

DE Mario Williams: Six years, $54 million, $26.5 million guaranteed.

QB Alex Smith: Six years, $49.5 million, $24 million guaranteed.

QB Eli Manning: Six years, $54 million, $20 million guaranteed.

QB Carson Palmer: Seven years, $49 million, $10 million guaranteed.

2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    wow, that was quite a jump from Carson to Eli. Way to screw it up, Giants.

ATVZ400 likes this.
  3. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    It's just insane what these guys are getting.

alen1 likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thats ridiculous... 20--29 million GUARANTEED before even stepping on the field... thats just insanity. In my opinion, this is an area the league and owners should be concerned with, its gotten out of control, and it is only getting worse.

alen1 likes this.
  5. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    true that. I wish they would institute a rookie salary cap that keeps these guys from getting rediculous money.

alen1 likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with both. Paying a guy that much money and he has yet to even meet his teammates, better yet step in the locker room. The NFL needs to adapt a rookie salary cap or find a way to minimize these deals. Guys who have worked their asses off for years aren't even getting this money.

7. Jamester23

Jamester23 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm sick of the ludicrous money that the rookies get. I don't even agree with the money the Veterans make. Over $450K to sit on the BENCH for a year as a veteran Wha? I'll work the rest of my life like a champion, never see my wife, not have kids because I don't want to have kids I don't have time for, move all over the country and still probably never see a $450K payday......The benchwarmers get that????

What even worse are the holdouts and the fact that the teams let them happen. I loved how Huizenga took ahard line on Ginn's potential holdout last year. Now, Ginn is a great guy and probably didn't push Wayne's hand. What is going to happen this next year?

Prepare yourself boys and girls. We will experience a holdout from camp that will get us all fired up.

If I'm wrong then Parcells is really the man!

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe Parcells will really be the man in this case. I think he will sign the player before the draft or right after. I dont think theres anyway we will see a top pick holding out under Parcells reign.