1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nfl parity, the fix & 2014

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jan 1, 2014.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the NFL is all about parity, 8/8 represents parity in its simplest form & most honest form. not so bad for a year two team with a new head-coach, coaching staff & system of play & an inexperienced rookie QB.
    what to do to fix an offense quickly:
    I believe it all begins in the trenches. having said that, to completely rebuild an offensive line in a season is very difficult.
    1) I would replace Turner immediately.
    2) then re-sign our pro-bowlers for another year, adding to the list one free-agent Maurkice Pouncey, if doable. if not, then Garner would enter the line-up:
    start: McKinnie_ Pouncey_ Maurkice Pouncey_Incognito_Clabo
    bench: Garner, Thomas, Watkins, Yeatman
    3) then I would turn my attention to the next two drafts for potential replacements at right and/or left tackle.
    4) about the coaching staff: some heads should roll:

Zac Taylor Assistant Quarterbacks

Jim Turner Offensive Line

Kevin Coyle Defensive Coordinator

George Edwards Linebackers

Charlie Bullen Offensive Assistant

Jeff Nixon Running Back

I see only one replacement for head-coach should the axe have to fall, Mike Shanahan. I see no improvement in the GM position available. I would give the head coach the ability to keep or replace Ireland. personally, I believe they will both be back in 2014.

for the draft I would keep it simple best talent available per pick with an eye on OL, LB, RB/FB...

I would try to recruit Pennington for a coaching vacancy. Philbin needs to take more interest in game planning & play calling. this is not sand lot football. it is all about winning. he must produce a winner in 2014 or hit the road. year two 8/8 not so bad, just disappointing.

2. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    How in the world do you see Incognito coming back?!! He will be released. Why would you bring back that whole mess, especially since he played very poorly this year. The line improved without him. Especially that it was reported that Philbin wanted him gone after the golf incident. I don't think the phins can run any faster away from Cogs...wow

finyank13 likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Incognito is one of the best guards available in the NFL today. Mike Pouncey's best position is (pulling) left guard & his brother center. this group has experience not only with each other but big game experience. what they need is very little time with a good coach to get it together. as for Jon Jon & his sissy fit, I have no comment other than I'm glad he's gone & he is the one that won't return. if the Dolphins are serious about a break-out season Incognito should be a serious consideration.

4. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Incogs contract is set to expire. He would have to be re-signed. Not likely, even considering how much we could use him. Could we really sign maurkice, and a tackle or two, all while keeping mike in future plans ? They may take less to stay together, but your talking about a lot of resources being used to fix this line. This plan suggests we pay a hefty price for 4 Free agents before locking up the other Pouncey. And the only change from this past year is one guard ! I'm sure there's a 1st round LT in this scenario, but still.

I like how you see the " big picture " overall, however.... Refreshing read.

Also consider the decisions to be made at DT. Lets Add that position into the draft wish list.

the 23rd likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the problem is the line... it has to be fixed now. we can draft for the future but we have to play next season & this line-up is as good as it gets with a real offensive line coach at the helm. everything is doable, if you want to play to win. Philbin could make or break his career on this decision. he better man up & do the right thing.

GMJohnson likes this.
  6. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Cogs isn't coming back.

finyank13 and bigbry like this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I believe that was said of Ricky Williams too! want to win? play the pro-bowlers at their strength positions & don't re-event the wheel. sometimes its hard to see the obvious...
    the offensive line should not be a problem for 2014 with a good coach, McKinnie/Pouncey on the left, Maurkice @ center & Incognito/Clabo on the right, the problem is resolved.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Firstly,

1. Not completely true. Most people thought Ricky would come back to the NFL at some point. And the Dolphins invested too much into him to let him walk. Certainly his talent was apart of the equation, given that he could of been the best ever. Richie's talent is no where near the same level, so talent factors less within his equation. Infact, he wasn't having a good year prior to his suspension.

2. Ricky's situation and Cogs. situation are different. Ricky had mental health and subsequent drug abuse issues that went unnoticed and/or unaddressed leading him to self imposed exile. Incognito was suspended for being an *******. And would have been off the team if Philbin had his way, after Richie sexually harassed and humiliated a volunteer @ a Dolphins event. Jeff Ireland's job was on the line, so he couldn't afford to lose the talent and forced him upon Philbin. It's not going to happen again given the public relations nightmare and distraction it cause the team.

Ricky and Incognito are nothing alike. Their problems are nothing alike. Their behavior and treatment of others is nothing alike.

Secondly,
    Parity is a double edged sword. It cuts both ways. The Dolphins have a lot of talent that wants to be paid this coming off-season. They're also deficient in talent in a number of areas. This includes almost the entire offensive line. Which, in your example, is still terrible. All you've done is replace Mike Pouncey, with his brother, coming off a major injury, and moving Mike to G. Perhaps Ma.Pouncey is a good signing. But it doesn't solve the problem as a whole.

- Clabo is done. An additional year of wear and tear isn't going to make him stronger, quicker, or a better fit for this offense.
    - McKinnie might have some life in him still, but I'm not willing to risk Tannehill for one more year to bank on it. Miami needs to draft a LT in round 1 or sign a FA.
    - Incognito is done in Miami. Wish him well with his life and problems going forward.

In order to fill 4/5 lineman spots, Miami is going to have to make sacrifices. That means probably letting Starks, Soliai, and Grimes walk in FA. Their money needs to be invested into Ryan Tannehill's life. Which means we're going to have to fill holes only to create new ones because Ireland can't draft for ****. And since Ryan Tannehill > Starks, Soliai, and Grimes combined, the offensive holes must be filled first. Which means our defense will likely be worse than 2013, and our offensive might be (depending on Tanny's development) be better. We could easily become an 8-8 team again.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    do you want another break even season? I don't. and it is because we need to win next year that the quick fix is a viable option... the offensive line is more than one first round draft pick, it is a unit that needs time to acquire experience & timing. the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. our best shot is to re-negotiate contracts for 2014 & go after the twin to play center. with a good offensive line coach at the helm, we will be able to compete immediately.
    Incognito is a top tier NFL guard, who plays to his strength on the right. Ricky is a once in a life-time running back. my all time favorite. the connection is they were both maligned grievously & written off.
    we need Incognito to return, it is in the team's best interest to resign him to a reasonable contract.
    these things are doable. personal opinions based on morality or personal likes & dislikes do not interest me. I want to win games & Incognito is a winner.
    not to worry, Grimes and Starks or Soliai will be resigned. what we need to find is another defensive coordinator.

10. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    We want to win next season. We don't "need" to. Not in the sense that you mean. Especially at the expense of the long term health of the football. The only necessity next season is fixing the o-line with a vision short and long term. How did the quick fix of Colombo and Clabo turn out? Terrible. Let's not repeat the same mistakes again. It's just stupid.

Do you even realize that most of the o-line doesn't fit the scheme for which they play? You basically made this same argument for the o-line weeks ago in a different thread. Those ideas are as bad then as they're now. Pouncey is the only member of the starting unit that should be kept. The rest are too old and/or bad system fits. An additional year doesn't change that. Clabo is done. McKinnie is done. Incognito dug his own grave and is NEVER coming back, whether you like it or not. If that was even a real possibility, he would of been back this year.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    hubris & opinionated, everything starts in the trenches & in the end it is all about winning
    if this regime can't turn the corner in year three then they should be fired...
    please don't twist my words. I've been coherent & consistent in my views since day one.
    without an offensive line, there is no offense.
    to be honest with you, I didn't expect TANNEHILL to last the season after breaking the sack record & he didn't . he fell apart in the closing two games. I predicted as much @ mid-season...

a good coach, McKinnie/Pouncey on the left, Maurkice @ center & Incognito/Clabo on the right, the problem is resolved.

12. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008

Tannehill didn't break the sack record. And your "coherent and consistent" opinion is beyond convoluted.

You say the Dolphins need a strong offensive line to win. You freely admit the dolphins offensive line sucks and almost killed Tannehill in 2013. You're suggestion to fix the offensive line in 2014 is to resign all the players who made the line suck, while adding one free agent (coming off major injury). Make sense, OP.

[​IMG]

13. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Do you want yet another public embarrassment for this once proud franchise? Because that's what will happen if you resign Incognito. It's even more stupid when you consider the idea that you want Philbin to stick around, and Joe wanted Incognito off the team after the golf course incident.

Even without Incognito, as long as Ireland is around, there will be another public embarrassment for the organization. This time, it may be Ireland questioning someone's sexuality in a draft meeting or free agency meeting.

14. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Maurkice Pouncey is a free agent in 2015, he was pre rookie wage scale.

Clark Kent and finyank13 like this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    doable.

16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If true then that list is weak because Incognito is very mediocre to below average.

17. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    No way does Pittsburgh let Pouncey go. and No way does Ritchie get back on the Phins. Agree with the need for massive upgrades on the Oline but we need to keep grounded in a little reality here.