1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Jonas Gray Re-Signs with Dolphins: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Jonas Gray - contract whore.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    maybe this "shock" will get Gray to turn the corner on consistency. We are due some karma. If shock helped Vontae turn all-pro, maybe it can turn Gray into a really good #2 RB instead of just an improvement over Williams and Daniel Thomas.

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He knew what this was.

Larry Little likes this.
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008

Shock didn't turn Vonte All-pro... That narrative is entirely fictitious and created for the purposes of making people feel better that we were stupid enough to trade him. Miami should of targeted Blount last season after Pitt cut him. I heard Dennis Hickey liked him a lot, but he would of been a much better banger than Daniel Thomas was in 2014 and better than JG or anyone else on our roster atm.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, that's simply not true. Shock or "wake up calls" happen all the time. There are any number of things that can change a person's perspective.

VD was not taking his job seriously enough. The trade is exactly the kind of thing that can and has woke somebody up and caused them to focus their efforts. Especially a younger person.

Do we know for certain that's what it was? No of course not, but to act like its crazy for that to be possible is every bit as agenda driven as you believe the other side of the argument to be.

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  6. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    I don't think anyone denies that vontae davis was good player here. He also showed up to games, and meetings late/drunk. That is what we hold against him. Somewhere the colts did what we couldn't, they got him to games and meetings on time and presumably sober. That kinda falls on the coaches and management. They needed to find a way to reach the kid and they decided they couldn't so they traded him. I've never seen a post saying vontae sucked as a dolphin. I see many posts asking why we traded such a talented player though.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I get what you're saying muskrat. Though IMO the change of scenery was a large factor. What is there in Indiana to do (nightlife)?

In Miami, if you stay up all night drinking, you're just a party animal.
    In Indianapolis, if you stay up all night drinking, you're a drunk with a drinking problem.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Couple of things......

1. Yes you're right as to what Davis' problem was and many people ignore that. (Though I didn't know about the drunk part.)
    2. His discipline problems fall on the previous staff. Philbin's staff didn't have him long enough.
    3. They didn't trade him because they didn't think they could reach him, they traded him because they got a solid offer for a player who was not living up to his potential and was lazy.

I cannot stress this enough, the Dolphins did not seek to trade VD. Indy called us.

9. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

Well you better tell Vonte then

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/12/18/vontae-davis-grows-up/20590981/

Rocky Raccoon, gunn34 and Fin D like this.
  10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    When I first saw this thread title, I thought the rest of it was going to read, "...with the Patriots." and I was going to lose my ****.

11. SuhMe

SuhMe Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    That's true and as much as I love the players Ireland acquired for this team, I knew at the time trading Vontae for a second was a huge mistake. I know he was immature and came to practice drunk and all of that, but this is the NFL. You can't just give up on young talented players at premium positions so quickly. Like Brian Billick once said, my daughters have incredible character, but I wouldn't want them carrying the ball in from the 2 yard line. Jamar better develop this year or the position looks weak once Grimes starts losing steps.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Again, they didn't give up on him. They made a transaction. I won't argue that it was the right call or not, I just take exception to certain incorrect things being applied to this scenario. And they are, that we "gave up" on him, that Philbin didn't want to deal with him, or that we initiated the trade.

13. SuhMe

SuhMe Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    When you trade a young player, that's kind of giving up on them. Imo at least, I mean you can argue semantics all day and I know it was a transaction, but at the end of the day they don't make that transaction if they truly believe in the man which obviously they did not. Vontae and Dion I put almost entirely on Ireland (obviously Dion) and imo they were his two worst moves.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think its an important distinction and not semantics though.

I mena if they started shopping him, then yes, they gave up on him. But since they were contacted out of the blue, that tells me they were perfectly fine keeping him on the team. A deal fell into their laps, and they took it. Again, there's a debate to be had about should that trade have been made, but again IMO, its important to understand the motivations behind the deal because those motivations are used in other areas of assessment.

This is similar to the problem with Ireland. Its fine for someone to think he sucks, but many thought he sucked for the wrong reasons.

15. SuhMe

SuhMe Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    I get your point. I guess I'm just still a lil pissed we made the trade at all. I understand the reasons why, I just thought he was a hell of a lot more valuable than a 2nd. And maybe the change of scenery has helped him, but he's kind of proving us wrong in Indy which I always thought he would.

Fin D likes this.
  16. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    or Jim Irsay.

resnor, VManis and Fin D like this.
  17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm confused. Is Jonas Gray BACK on the active roster? Like right now, September 17th?

18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Nothing official as of yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

19. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    They just signed him to the practice squad. Don't we still have an open spot? Can he return kicks?

20. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
  21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
  22. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Ajayi must not be doing well.

23. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ajayi is Reserve/Designated to Return IR for 8 weeks, not on PS, so we had the slot available on PS, not bad idea if Gray was willing to go back on it.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    OK so we're basically in the same spot I thought we were. They put him on the practice squad, then brought him up to the 53 man roster for a game check, then put him back on the practice squad. That game check was very likely a payoff to keep him interested in staying on Miami's practice squad rather than continuing to shop his services elsewhere.

MonstBlitz and djphinfan like this.
  25. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    What is the point of having him on the practice squad? I can see bridging the time until Ajayi comes back (assuming they believe in him).

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's complicated. You only get to dress so many players on game day. If he's not in position to be dressed for game day (because he doesn't know the playbook, e.g.) then the only reason you'd want him on roster instead of practice squad would be if another team were after him for their 53 man roster. If no teams are after him there's no difference so you might as well have him on practice squad.

By bumping him from the practice squad to the 53 man roster for one week, his weekly pay check probably quadrupled, and out of appreciation for that he may be more likely to give the Dolphins a chance to bring him up to the roster should another team make him an offer to sign with them.

27. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I am surprised he is even eligible for the practice squad with his experience. Did the rules change for that?