1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Draft: Looking at the top underclassmen

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Dec 18, 2008.

1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth

Rivals.com College Football - NFL draft: Looking at the top underclassmen

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wonder if he's better suited in the zone, playing with the ball in front of him.

3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    My personal favorite was the reasoning in the George Selvie part. He has a lack of lateral agility apparently, yet he should play in space at OLB? What? I could see the not holding the POA point as the reasoning, but that agility thing in there like that though. A little strange,.....no?

alen1 likes this.
  4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I noticed that. Weird.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    5. OT Andre Smith, Alabama

THE BUZZ: The Outland Trophy winner has done an excellent job creating holes for the powerful Alabama rushing attack and protecting QB John Parker Wilson. He has struggled with speed rushers at times this season and might be best-suited to play on the right side or inside at guard. Either way, Smith is a light-footed lineman with the body control and agility to play just about anywhere on the line.

Is it just me or does that sound similar to some of the opinions on Jake Long coming out?

funkdat likes this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

^ Yes.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No way (at this point) do we take him over Sintim, Cushing, Maybin, Cody, Peria Jerry, and others IMO.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Why? He can't set the edge, he's too light for defensive end, he's raw as a pass rusher and I'm not sure he can cover because he's stiff in his backpedal. He's a one-way player IMO.

Stitches likes this.
  9. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007

I'm not sure how. Being as he's 244 maxed out, isn't any sort of force in the run game because he continually gets washed out and quite possibly has never played a second of coverage in his life.

10. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    He could..... but most teams are not going to spend a #1 draft pick on a guy who will only come in on passing downs.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No particular love for Selvie, I don't think I've ever seen him take a snap except just about 10 seconds ago off of Youtube, but to a certain extent I think none of that is a particularly big deal. Not every player is Jason Taylor, but is any of that not true about him?

Taylor, legitimately, weighed what? Maybe he started the season around 255, but I remember reading something about his struggle to keep weight on during the Saban era discussing that he routinely dropped into the high 230's during the late part of the season.

He also spent the bulk of his career being "protected" because he wasn't a great run defender. He because pretty good at it later in his career, but the guy was a mild liability for most of his career I'd argue.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  12. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    True but Vernon was good at playing the run and going after the QB.The main thing with him is he just hasn't be playing football very long.So no matter where a team put's him......it was going to take him time and making him a OLB in a 3-4 will take ever longer for him to "get it".

As far as teams taking developmental players, the good ones don't take them with a top 20 pick.