1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Draft Head 2 Head: Long vs. Gholston

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Who's the best DE in the draft:
    Chris Long or Vernon Gholston?
    With the NFL Draft right around the corner, the debate over whether Chris Long or Vernon Gholston is the better defender has heated up. Scout.com's Chris Steuber profiles, analyzes and breaks down Long and Gholston and puts them Head 2 Head.

This breakdown is dated Mar 25, 2008. It's very good. I looked it was posted yet.....

GREAT READ
    LINK to rest of story
    http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/740258.html

alen1 likes this.
  2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Chris Long never takes off on plays....Gholston does.

3. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

"Strengths: Long has great size, quickness and plays with a high motor. He’s strong off the edge and sheds blocks well. He uses his hands to gain an advantage, displays great technique and plays with leverage. He’s highly instinctive and diagnoses the action extremely well. He locates the ball carrier quickly, possesses a solid burst and is quick in pursuit. He’s versatile and can play DE or OLB at the next level.

Weaknesses: He may already be a finished product with little upside. He’s still developing as a pass rusher and has only demonstrated elite pass rushing ability during his senior year.
    NFL Comparison: Patrick Kerney, Seattle Seahawks"

ok. this really confuses me. his weakness is that he may already be a finished product with little more upside. that means that he will never be better than;"Long has great size, quickness and plays with a high motor. He’s strong off the edge and sheds blocks well. He uses his hands to gain an advantage, displays great technique and plays with leverage. He’s highly instinctive and diagnoses the action extremely well. He locates the ball carrier quickly, possesses a solid burst and is quick in pursuit. He’s versatile and can play DE or OLB at the next level". i guess that is bad. or it means that the first round is for people with potential and upside, unpolished?

i must be in the minority here, but if i'm spending first pick money then i want results sooner than later and i want more of a guarantee. not ..has potential and should develop in two or three years.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    My opinion is this...

Chris Long will be a better DE, Gholston will be a better LB.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Totally agree - Chris Long is a better version of Patrick Kerney in a 4-3; I don't think Gholston could be as productive, save playing OLB in a 3-4.

6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Either player works for me, I can see both dominating in the NFL.