1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Developmental League, which ten Dolphins should go there?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 17, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, it's Saturday evening in Mid July and the "NFL Developmental League" concept has been rattling around so here is how it could be created, and who I'd send from the Dolphins Roster:

-43 man roster
    -8 team league with each NFL team contributing 10 players
    -Final 3 roster spots would go to Kicker, Punter, Long snapper
    -Two schedules, one in the Spring, one in the Fall
    -Each NFL team would negotiate who they wanted on Staff
    -Roster requirements:

-8 Olinemen
    -3 qb's (though 4 would work)
    -8 Lb's
    -5 Dlinemen
    -2 Te's
    -3 rb's
    -5 Wr's
    -6 Db's

It would make sense to create permanent positional roster spots, with filling them can also include trades among NFL teams, as long as they only involve intra NFLDL players for example if the Bears wish to develop a Rb, they could trade a LB roster spot with the Rams, the Bears recieve the Rb roster slot, the Rams the Lb roster spot. That would allow NFL teams that are weak at a position to develop a player they wish to develop.

As for the Dolphins 10 man contribution:

-2 Wr's
    -2 olinemen
    -2 lb's
    -1 Qb
    -2 db's
    -1 rb

Roberto Wallace
    Julius Pruitt

Lydon Murtha
    Dimitri Tsoumpas (as a swingman G/C/T)

JD Folsom
    Chris McCoy

Pat White

Nolan Carrol
    Reshad Jones

Tristan Davis

Thoughts?

I love the idea of a NFLDL, but and it's a huge butt, it would be a developmental league, possibly a Rehab league, it would be meant for longshots and the athletically gifted, but not ready to be on a NFL roster..yet.

That is why they would be in that league.

dolfan7171, jetssuck and FinsAreLife like this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Agree with all of those selections but...

Is it too late to send Pat Turner?

and

Replace him with Reshad (SS depth)

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Theoretical league, and Turner is in the mix, albeit a longshot, for the #4 or #5 Wr job.

A NFLDL would have to start in the Spring with the prior yr's practice squad and injured players, or in the Fall, with players who won't make the roster, but the NFL team doesn't wish to just waive.

4. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Dolphins trade OL spot for a DL spot
    Dolphins trade Wr spot for a LB spot
    Dolphins trade Wr spot for a DL spot

QB-Pat White
    RB-Kory Sheets
    OL-Dimitri Tsoumpas
    DL-Lionel Dotson
    DL-Travis Ivey
    LB-Chris McCoy
    LB-Austin Spitler
    LB-JD Folsom
    DB-AJ Wallace
    DB-Jonathon Amaya

padre31 likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sheets would be a great NFLDL player, give him some reps, he would be ready to step back unto the Phins roster in the Fall if someone was injured.

And trading those slots does make sense if people think about it, the problem with NFLE (imho) is there was no real purpose to it, they treated it like it was the CFL or another Pro League, not a Minor League.

Roberto Wallace has the makings of a Beast Wr, 6'4/225/4.4 40, but he is raw as he came up in Panama and only picked up Football later in High School.

6. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I could see a Roberto Wallace, Grice-Mullen, or Turner. IMO if it was a developmental league It would make more since to me for this team to develop defensive players this year rather than a possible 5th wide-receiver.

7. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The thing is, you can't look at this from the perspective of today's 53 man roster. The league schedule is going to expand and the allowed final roster will expand with it. If this D-League happens, it'll come with the new CBA along with the new schedule/rosters. Therefor, I would project a linear increase in roster size to 59.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the 3-4 and 4-3 teams aren't going to want their defensive players to be playing another defense. Hell, if you really think about it, I could see different 4-3 defensive schemes not wanting to be mixed up.

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    David Lee as the OC? If he is the heir apparent to Henning I would like to see what he can do.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd submit an increase in a NFL team's roster size wouldn't matter very much DD, as teams still have players they would like to see developed, especially Qb's.

Well, Small College players, guys buried in the depth chart, guys on the practice squad, especially players who have rehabbed an injury and need playing time etc.

10. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    You know I would actually watch this, especially in the off-season.
    AFC
    Orlando Owls(Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers)
    Las Vegas Dice(Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts, Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos)
    Rhode Island Family Guys(New England Patriots, Houston Texans, Cincinnati Bengals, Oakland Raiders)
    Portland Peacocks(New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kansas City Chiefs)
    NFC
    Birmingham Bombers(Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Philadelphia Eagles)
    San Antonio Sunfire (New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, Green bay Packers, Dallas Cowboys)
    Charleston Cougars (Carolina Panthers, San Fransisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants)
    Boise Brigade(Atlanta Falcons, St. Louis Rams, Detroit Lions,Washington Redskins)

11. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Love to see this happen.... regardless of whether or not the league itself would be profitable. It would be great for every team and raise the quality of the NFL overall.

texanphinatic and Anonymous like this.
  12. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I think the league would be profitable if the teams have NFL quality stars on them. So if the teams are forced to supply 10 players there would be quality players on the teams. Justin Forsett, Ahmad Bradshaw, Julian Edelman, Bernard Scott, Marques Colston, Devin Aromashodu, Bruce Gradkowski, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, Jay Ratliff, Derek Anderson are just some of the few players that could have been stars in this league.

texanphinatic likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I'd think they would need a salary cap as even NFL Practice Squad players make 200k or more per season, 43 players, and that is a rather expensive team for a developmental league.

Which would mean the guys who weren't under NFL contract would have to make less than NFL contract monies, the #7 Olineman may have to make do with 100k.

14. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Why not just make it like baseball and each franchise gets its own farm team. Play a rotating schedule in Europe to continue to develop the fan base there, a few games every year in Mexico and Asia

padre31 likes this.