1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News article: Dolphins go into the bye weekend a day early

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Oct 7, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
  2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Nothing like rewarding two straight home losses in division with an extra day off.

3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Because grinding them into the ground is a much better idea.

4. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    So, the regular practice schedule "grinds them into the ground?" Because that's what you're saying. If that were true, we'd have a problem with the regular schedule that would need addressing.

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Sometimes in all jobs, you need to step back, take a day and regenerate.

I don't see a big problem with it.

DolfanJake likes this.
  6. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Not what I'm saying. You have three options in this case. 1) Be angry as a coach and beat the **** out of them in practice for those two terrible games. 2) Have a regular practice 3) Give them one extra day off. This gives them a chance to clear their minds and move on from the pats game. Also it shows your players you care about them and are in their corner. I have no problem with option 3. I doubt that extra day of practice really matters in the grand scheme of things.

7. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't think he should have beat the crap out of them, but I also think that giving them a day off sends the wrong message. You should send a message of "we need to go to work and fix our mistakes."

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  8. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    How do we know that message wasn't sent in practice already? It could very well be like this: the team was pushed hard to fix their mistakes show dedication and it was done so they were given the day off. Like say your boss (I know you're a photographer so I don't know it works for you, but play along) comes up to you and says "Hey Rick your performance hasn't been up to par lately and I'd like to see you start doing these things better". You dedicate yourself and work your *** off and your boss comes back and says "Hey Rick I'm pleasantly surprised in how you did this week, why not take the day off".

late again and adamprez2003 like this.
  9. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    I am sure by now the yelling and screaming has subsided and TS realizes that these guys played their balls off in the last two games. Maybe he feels that they need a mental and physical break in order to keep their spirits up and not get discouraged.

There are times when you need to step out of the batters box and stretch in order to hit a home run. I am sure TS knows his guys pretty well and understands that great warriors are not great because they fight every battle - great warriors are great because they pick their battles wisely.

Grinding them down isn't a battle worth fighting at the moment. IMHO

DolfanJake likes this.
  10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I think Tony Sparano is just trying prevent a psychological downfall of the team. They HAVE to be hurting inside after losing back-to-back home primetime games against division rivals. Hope it works...

I have no problem with this. And seeing as this is a bye week, I don't see why others would have a problem with it either.

DolfanJake likes this.
  11. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Maybe. I think a day off would have been more appropriate after they say, won a hard road game, like against Green Bay maybe.

12. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    SOME of them played their balls off. Some of them took plays off.

13. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I think this is mostly about preserving psyche. They say as a DB you need a short memory because if you dwell on getting beat it will affect your play. When I played baseball I was my worst harshest critic. As a result it affected my play at the plate because I'd be so psyched out/up instead of relaxing and playing ball. My round about point, is that we need to preserve this teams pysche. If we let them dwell on the loss and get down on themselves it will affect their play. They need to forget about it and take a page from the Jerry Jones play book and pretend.

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I like it, I think the players pushed themselves too hard and it lead to fear of making a mistake.

Meanwhile, Sparano and Ireland should take note of who hangs around Davie and works on their game, and who heads out of town, and how they played in the last two games.

The way I see it, if a player thinks they did their job the last two games, and they are confident in that, then they should enjoy their time off, the players who think they played like cow flop should have the good sense to stick around or fall into the churn zone this Monday.

People should best believe that Sparano and Irish and Rizzi will watch film on players who can do a better job during this 4 day weekend and decide to churn or not to churn on Monday or Tuesday.