1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York Jets' Jenkins has a nose for 'dirty work'

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by njfinfan, Jul 27, 2008.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
  2. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Jenkins is a big boy and is exactly what you ask for in a 34 Nose Tackle. He was throwing around Mangold like a little child when I was at Training Camp the other day. Can't wait to see him do that to the other AFC East Centers.

3. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Not Samson...

I still have doubts about how well he'll do out of the gates and how well their run defense has improved.

We'll see Sept. 7 though!

4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    The jets run D has been reliably crappy for about 5 years now. It would be a shame if they improved.

5. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Samson isn't as good as Nick. He's a nice young prospect though.

6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I question your ability to properly grade the ability of a center.

7. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    ahh, a shvelt 1 pound away from violating his weight clause. new position, bad shape, injury history...yeah im quaking.

alen1 likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Jenkins is a biscuit away from blowing up. That said, ask Shaun Rogers to take him out for dinner.

9. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Around 360 pounds is what they like him to be. He can still be weighing 365, 370. They are protecting themselves for if he ballons to 380-400lbs like he did sometimes while he was in Carolina. Big difference.

Boy the cockiness of the fans from a 1 win team is going far, far down come opening day.

10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    whose cocky, i just find it amusing watching the Jets misevaluate their talent like we did last year. you guys we're 4-12, and treated this off-season like you were primed for a superbowl run. just missing a few pieces. this off-season will single handedly set your franchise back YEARS.

mangini, in year one had that great, smart draft with mangold and d'brick. wasnt sexy, but it was what you needed. played it close to the vest, and had a great year. then you go 4-12, and press the panic buttom. now you're back to taking TE's in the first round, and getting robbed in the heart of Free Agent Robbery season, paying top dollar for 4 or 5 guys, not one of which who can come in and knowingly dominate for even the next 3 years.

you guys blew it this year.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This is going to get ugly...

12. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    nah, we're both being gentlemanly about is. 124 is entitled to his opinion.

13. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    So you're saying that you don't need a dominate force in the 34 Defense at Nose Tackle? The most important position in a 34 defense is the Nose Tackle. Also, the Offensive Line was HORRIBLE last season, so why not sign a seven consecutive Pro Bowl invitee? 31 years old, yes, but for an Offensive Lineman, that isn't old. Once they hit 34, 35, thats when you beging to worry. However, there are many who are still playing very well past that age. Offensive Line and Nose Tackle are basically the two positions where age doesn't really matter (Jenkins at 28 isn't old anyway).

The Pace signing could be a huge mistake, I agree with you there, but Tony Richardson for one year at the league minimum was a steal. He has helped plenty of backs, including Priest Holmes a nobody before arriving in Kansas City, to thousand yard seasons. He came on the cheap.

Vernon Gholston, like Brick & Nick in the 06 draft, was a need as was Keller as the Jets don't have a third receiving threat, so I don't understand your bashing of the Jets draft strategies.

And no alen it won't get ugly, we respect each other. I think. :wink2:

14. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    we do, no doubt.

and you are spot on that a 3-4 NT is crucial. but i dont think you got the guy you needed. you gave up a 3rd and a 5th, and signed a huge contract to an injury prone guy whose played 4-3 DT his whole career. i dont think you should make a move like that unless its a sure thing.

take it from me, Miami tried desperately to run a 3-4, and we forced the situation, and look what happened? we didnt have the personnel, we tried to force pieces into slots that didnt fit, and we paid.

i see a lot of patch work, at the expense of pissing off a bunch of vets because you blew 140 million in contracts on questionable guys. i understand you want to be optimistic. i just think you guys are gonna pay dearly, with major cap issues and a lack of production.

the biggest thing is, we hit rock bottom, and we're heading in a new direction. i dont know how good we'll be, but im pretty confident that we're headed somewhere better than NOW. you guy are at a cross roads, and i think you went down the wrong blvd.

124 likes this.
  15. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Miami does now have a 34 Nose man in Jason Ferguson and the pieces are in place to run a 34 in terms of that, but I don't think you have the Defensive Ends or Inside Linebackers to run it. Channing Crowder would be much better as a 43 OLB.

Here's the thing with Jenkins. He's 28, a three-time Pro Bowler and just a mountain of a man. Yes he's played in the 43 in his entire life but he was the Nose man of the 43 defense. Dewayne Robertson was a 43 DT but he was barely 300-310lbs and he was a gap shooting DT who liked to rush the passer. The Jets should've known from the get-go that he could not fit in as a 34 NT.

Jenkins on the other hand, his entire career he has been dealing with two, sometime three man blocks and stops the run, he prefers not to go after the Quarterback, the perfect man needed to hold down fort in the 34. Sure he could have a weight problem or injury, but thats a gamble we're willing to take. He was the best option out there.

We also are getting that 3rd round pick back, possibly in the form of a 2nd, from New Orleans for Jonathan Vilma.

16. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    [​IMG]

Now
    its getting ugly.

unluckyluciano, alen1 and 124 like this.
  17. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

crowder was an ILB in college at Florida. but Miami is certainly missing a few pieces throughout our O and D. i think our front 7 is still way more deep than our secondary. but we have some guys who need to go out and prove themselves. thing is, we didnt over pay for those guys, and we acquired many of them through the draft.

i came across nasty in a few posts, and i apologize because you are a nice kid. but i am hearing a lot of talk from Buffalo and the Jets. I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves because take it from me, nothing is worse than shattered expectations.

18. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Being nasty is fine. We're AFC East fans. This isn't an NFC South board or something, it comes with the territory.

I remember Crowder at Florida and wanted badly for the Jets to draft him. Of course, how it always works out for me, my favorite college players end up to teams I dislike / hate / what have you.

And boy can I relate to the shattered expectations. If Chad Pennington is the starting Quarterback I expect nothing better than 6-10. Anything else is just gravey.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  19. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    sadly, Pennington is twice as good as any QB we've had since 13 retired. but theres just not a lot of Peytons and Bradys floating around.

20. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Pre two torn rotator cuffs in less than 12 months, yes, Pennington was better than anything you've had since "13". However, 2005-present Pennington isn't as good as Jay Fiedler was. I think Miami fans under-rated him and expected too much out of him. He wasn't half bad.

21. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    he had a good passer rating, and won a nice % of the games he played. we also used to goto the play-offs then, and had superbowl expectations with that ridiculously good defense. he was better than the wrap he gets.