1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New year, new hope for 2007's struggling teams

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by DonShula84, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Who am I to disagree with this guy ;)

Well, I'll disagree with him about Miami pulling in the top recruiting class. Way too many 2 star players in that class to be tops imo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3171464

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Not bad of a list. But I think UCLA could join that rank. With an actual QB, starting RB back, more experienced coach, and continued defensive coaching, we could see a turnaround.

3. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I agree UCLA could be better, but they won a decent amount of games this year so they dont have as much room to improve as these other teams.

4. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains

Probably not a top class any more but IMHO definetly top 3 right now and could be a #1 class....add Ben Jones, TJ Bryant, Corey Luigett, Brandon Harris and it "COULD" be at the top f the last 10 years IMHO...doubt they get all these guys but they do have a legit shot at all.

John Calhoun: probably a legit 2 star role player.
    Taylor Cook:2 star by rivals, #8 QB in the country by Scout.
    Patrick Hill: One dimensional blocking FB that fits perfectly...a destroyer as a blocker.
    Zach Kane: no way this guy is a 2 star player...very underrated but keeps getting kicked out of games for fighting.
    CJ Odom:Probable non qualifier.
    Andrew Smith:Probable grey shirt.
    Jake Wieclaw:Hurt mid way thru SR. year...top 3 kicker and pushes Bonner aside.

I'll take those two star guys all day...and I am not a "star" guy....

5. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    The sites that do declare a winner for recruiting - ESPN, Rivals, Scout- use the star rating, and those 2 stars will pull the UM average down making it hard for me to see how they can jump some of the schools ahead of them. Espcially when some of the schools ahead of them are still being considered by good players as well. I understand the argument against getting too caught up in star rankings, but strictly from a rating stand point I dont see how that doesnt hurt them in the final tally. This article is from ESPN and I cant figure out their recruiting rankings. They vary quite a bit from both Rivals and Scout.

On a side note, it appears UM is taking in a large class this year.

6. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I would not even try to figure out the rankings, these guys are generally not football guru's...just think they are, like the rest of us shmoes.....

Yes UM has 8 EE's that count against 07, and plans on using all 25 of their 08 schollys....NCAA allows a class of 25 so that is what it is.....

you are correct.....some sites use total stars, some average, some use EE's some do not, etc....it is all very subjective. Add UM's EE's for 08 to their actual 07 class and their # 8 class or whatever now rivals the top classes of last year.

But the EE's that count to the 07 class will be evaluated by the sites as part of 08...which will overvalue Miami this year....and not fairly represent the value they got from 07 scholly's.

Also some of these kids are late developers for instance their is NO WAY in the world Zach Kane is a 2 star guy.....so my advice to any novice recruiting watcher is do not even pay attention to "stars"...watch their videos, any games you can get a hold of, and see what skills you see, look at their triangle numbers and see how they project, look at the depth chart and positional analysis from the class, etc..

If you look at the big picture look at how your school protects it's traditional feeder schools, look if you made any inroads at other peoples traditional feeder schools, did you protect any pipelines, etc....those are the keys for long term success and maintaining it...IMHO...

Stars are for crap and that is from a UM fan that will have a star happy class....

7. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    so notre dame's sissy schedule gets easier?

8. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Was only a sissy schedule to those who dont pay attention ;) The first 2 months of ND's schedule was as brutal as just about anyones in the country.

9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Like against penn State. :thumbup: