1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New work (not yet job) offer

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Miamian, Jun 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    A new non-profit whose purpose is to promote sustainability would like to use me as a writer and researcher. The scope of their work is related to city planning, my profession. It's funny because during the past three years I've worked in different environments related to my profession by only on a volunteer basis and often at my own cost.

The director, who is as of yet also unpaid, said that hopefully they'll get some money and be able to start offering competitive wages. Plus, they also want to work internationally. That's what I've wanted to do: to work in sustainable planning internationally.

I've been underemployed for the past four and a half years, teaching English to mostly French people. There's been some been some benefit. I speak French very well now and that can't hurt in a job hunt. I've also been helping an ex-coworker of mine to start a new business in which I'd be a full partner, but it has nothing to do with planning, sustainability, architecture, and the like. That hasn't started but she's gung-ho.

Push may come to shove. I may have to give up a steady income to do what love.

2. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Good Luck with your ventures Miamian.

Miamian likes this.
  3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Good luck with your new position.

What levels of city planning, micro or macro?

Sustainability, or being "Green" for that matter is all up for interpretation, and every company claims to be green.

I ask Micro or Macro because there is a program called LEED, you are probably familiar with it, that is a voluntary standard for new construction setting guidelines for being green and sustainable. Points are given as per their criteria and buildings reach certain levels based on their score; Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.

Other voluntary standards are coming out now, such as the National Green Building Standard.

It may be in your best interest to look at these as options.

LEED has a test (LENGTHY!!!) and a course that can be completed, making you an "Accredited Professional". APs are highly being sought after as consultants (there are even LEED consulting firms) and full time employees because of the amount of recognition LEED has achieved in the marketplace. Any claimed green/sustainable building now is being subjected to the LEED program.

Just something for you to consider.

Miamian likes this.
  4. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I'm not familiar with LEED, but I don't live in the US anymore and accreditation may not be the standard worldwide. I was really disappointed that when I decided to drop my AICP accreditation, I studied hard to get it and I passed the test. If I decide to go for it again I would have to retest.

But to answer your other question, I'm trained to think globally, so I'm probably on the macro end of things.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Is your work or chosen field more of a localism type projects Miamian?

Or is it stuff like "smart growth"?

6. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Smart growth. It's nice to see that that term is becoming more common. :up: