New TV Shows Out Right Now

952 replies

cuchulainncuchulainnSupporter
Apr 2, 2019, 06:42 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I hope you are not calling Gotham serious.

Reread what I wrote... "roles".

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 2, 2019, 06:49 PM

"cuchulainn wrote:

Reread what I wrote... "roles".

I am just making sure. Gotham makes Adam West Batman look like The Dark Knight

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 2, 2019, 06:51 PM

"cuchulainn wrote:

Or Duckie Dale. ;-)

Ben McKenzie, who played Jim Gordon in Gotham would be an interesting choice, and as he's already aware, people don't want caricatures or campy portrayals. They want people to take the roles serious as the characters are already over the top by their very nature.

He should be fine, however I would want someone with more Charisma.

Someone who comes off as a pinnacle of what it means to be a human. Like a younger Idras Elba or younger Brad Pitt.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

cuchulainncuchulainnSupporter
Apr 2, 2019, 08:41 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

He should be fine, however I would want someone with more Charisma.

Someone who comes off as a pinnacle of what it means to be a human. Like a younger Idras Elba or younger Brad Pitt.

Walton Goggins :shifty:

Tony mentioned Cranston, who has a lot of intensity and can convey menace as well as charm. Timothy Olyphant can do the same thing and has experience in the genre... Hell, Jensen Ackles would be an interesting choice for that matter.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 2, 2019, 09:23 PM

"cuchulainn wrote:

Walton Goggins :shifty:

Tony mentioned Cranston, who has a lot of intensity and can convey menace as well as charm. Timothy Olyphant can do the same thing and has experience in the genre... Hell, Jensen Ackles would be an interesting choice for that matter.

If you go by modern Lex, he is the pinnacle of humanity. Part of the reason he hates superman is that if superman wasn't around he would be looked at as the savior of earth.
I just don't see Cranston pulling that off. Plus a little too old.

I like Timothy Olyphant for the role.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Apr 3, 2019, 09:13 PM

"ToddPhin wrote:

Santa Clarita Diet Season 3 - best season yet through 8 episodes! Just a ball of fun.

Hannah was fulfillable but fell short of memorable. Action scenes & choreography needed to be closer to the stuff in Logan..... and Hannah herself was done somewhat poorly and cast poorly. Definitely needed a girl who’s more proficient in martial arts and less athletically awkward. I had to keep reminding myself that this is a girl who was essentially genetically modified after birth and lived isolated from society all her life. She wasn’t nearly wild & raw enough.

she was raised by a soldier in a strict disciplined environment, not by wolves. Why would she be wild & raw. I thought she did a great job showing the social awkwardness that would accompany that type of upbringing



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 3, 2019, 11:37 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

she was raised by a soldier in a strict disciplined environment, not by wolves. Why would she be wild & raw. I thought she did a great job showing the social awkwardness that would accompany that type of upbringing

I don’t care who raises you and with what discipline, if you grow up in a cave in complete isolation from society, you’re gonna possess an air of wildness & rawness. The movie version of Hanna had more of it. That “discipline” you speak of works against your argument and for mine. It’s nothing like your typical parental discipline; it’s a militaristic survivalist one. She was trained since birth to be a soldier who lives off the grid and doesn’t venture beyond the red marked pines, not almost seamlessly integrate into the real world.

By the 2nd episode, she’s already playfully posing in a damn photo booth like she’s known it all her life. Everything she sees and experiences in society is a first for her, yet it’s all so nonchalant. First car ride- so calm and relaxed like she’s Brittany Spears in Crossroads. First visit to a convenient store- trying on glasses like she’s had a monthly subscription to People magazine. First time in a club- looking no different than any other memorized teenage girl walking into one for the first time. Navigates and escapes the facility like she’s actually been in a building before, even knows how to use an ID badge to unlock a door. Mails a letter in episode 2 like she already knows what stamps are, what they look like, where they’re kept, how they’re used, what a mailbox is, and precisely how the postal system works. Somehow innately understands how to get from the train station to the rendezvous point despite never seeing so much as a street sign in her life, and then somehow easily knows how to locate the correct apartment amidst a 7 story building as though she’s visited a hundred of these before. Already knows how to drive and use a clutch even though she hadn’t seen a vehicle until a few days prior. The whole series is like this.

Even when she’s in the forest with her friends and she takes her shoes off to chase the deer, she doesn’t even look wild and raw then. She runs like a 16 year old girl raised in the suburbs who’s in PE for the first time.

If not for the adult content you’d think it’s a WB version of Hanna.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 3, 2019, 11:44 PM

Characters acting completely out of what their role should be always pulls me out of a show or movie too. Doesn't always ruin it, but it does lessen it. I haven't (and won't) see it because I'm not a Prime member, but it seems to odd that they would buy a property, presumably put a lot of money into it, promote it on all platforms, and then make those huge mistakes.

The lead actress is basically totally new to the business, but both of her parents are long time Hollywood actors. I wonder if her casting was some kind of favor, instead of being something that she earned on her merits?

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 4, 2019, 12:13 AM

Additionally, Hanna’s backstory was too short and uninformative..... and lacking in character development. Hollywood makes full length films strictly dedicated to individuals trying to survive and navigate the outdoors, yet we’re only provided with like 10 min of Hanna’s backstory in a show that’s nearly 7 hours long and will likely feature a 2nd season. The writers/directors totally missed the mark in developing her character, which is a shame bc she’s such a wonderful character to develop and grow. It’s like they thought- meh, the audience is already familiar with Hanna’s story so let’s just get right to it. Plus the show had 4 different directors, 2 episodes each, and at times it felt like it.

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 4, 2019, 12:39 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Characters acting completely out of what their role should be always pulls me out of a show or movie too. Doesn't always ruin it, but it does lessen it. I haven't (and won't) see it because I'm not a Prime member, but it seems to odd that they would buy a property, presumably put a lot of money into it, promote it on all platforms, and then make those huge mistakes.

The lead actress is basically totally new to the business, but both of her parents are long time Hollywood actors. I wonder if her casting was some kind of favor, instead of being something that she earned on her merits?

Yeah it ruins the immersivness for me too, Ben. I shouldn’t have to periodically remind myself that this girl was raised as a soldier in a forest cave, completely isolated from society.

Having family in the biz always seems to help. Happens often enough to believe that nepotism is a strong force. Can’t imagine that Esme Creed-Miles is the most coordinated, athletic, MMA-proficient teenage girl with a British accent who can act. Her running, moving, and fighting was more awkward than her introduction to society, which obviously should’ve been the reverse.

Apparently her actor father took martial arts for 20 years, so I maybe that’s additionally why she got the role, even though she had never trained prior to the gig. So basically the role could’ve gone to ANY talented British teenage actress who is then trained by an expert for it.

Here’s a Q&A sample with her:

Were you a physical kind of person before this?
“No, not at all. It was very intimidating. It’s weird how your body just adapts, though. We only had two months of training, and I remember some of the trainers looking at me and being, like, This isn’t enough time. When I started, I couldn’t punch. My punch looked like shit. I didn’t have that kind of physicality to make it believable. It wasn’t part of my bones yet. Luckily, my dad has been doing martial arts for like 25 years, so I had support, but I had to put in the extra hours.”

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 4, 2019, 12:40 AM

Ahem, Adam...... per Hanna herself:

“This version is slightly more grounded,” Esme added. "In the movie, she’s this ethereal, otherworldly character, whereas this Hanna is more of a normal teenager."

Terrible terrible decision. There’s such a huge disconnect between what Hanna SHOULD be and her as more of a normal teenager.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Apr 4, 2019, 02:03 PM

Finished:

Russia Doll 9/10
Barry 8/10
Castle Rock 6/10

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 4, 2019, 03:59 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

Finished:

Russia Doll 9/10
Barry 8/10
Castle Rock 6/10

Russian Doll was enjoyable. I went into each episode looking for an excuse to turn it off but could never find one.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Apr 4, 2019, 04:32 PM

"ToddPhin wrote:

Ahem, Adam...... per Hanna herself:

“This version is slightly more grounded,” Esme added. "In the movie, she’s this ethereal, otherworldly character, whereas this Hanna is more of a normal teenager."

Terrible terrible decision. There’s such a huge disconnect between what Hanna SHOULD be and her as more of a normal teenager.

guess we just disagree. I don't see it as a terrible decision. I like the actress. Thought she was great in the role. How she acted in society seemed appropriate to me considering how she was brought up. The fight scenes were fine from what I was looking for. I wasn't looking for martial arts but more of a krav maga style of fighting like in the Bourne movies.



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 4, 2019, 07:46 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

guess we just disagree. I don't see it as a terrible decision. I like the actress. Thought she was great in the role. How she acted in society seemed appropriate to me considering how she was brought up. The fight scenes were fine from what I was looking for. I wasn't looking for martial arts but more of a krav maga style of fighting like in the Bourne movies.

Doesn’t Krav Maga fall under the umbrella of martial arts? Regardless of style, you can tell that she only recently started training and thus looked out of place for a character who’s been doing it since birth.

This Hanna was made to seem like more of a normal teen, and that’s exactly how she came across. Therefore, I think it’s tough to argue that she looked as awkward as she should have for a girl who was raised in a cave, as doing so would completely contradict itself.

There were no books or literature for her to learn from, no pictures with which to identify things. All she had was the verbal knowledge & descriptions passed on from her father. It’s no different than trying to explain what society is, as well as every structure and object within it, to a blind person. Yet she seemed to understand everything as though she’d already been immersed in it for a year. Like I said- the photo booth event sums it up perfectly- it’s like her 2nd day in the real world and she’s taking silly pics as if she’s a typical normal teenager on a spring break vacation.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Apr 4, 2019, 10:25 PM

"ToddPhin wrote:

Doesn’t Krav Maga fall under the umbrella of martial arts? Regardless of style, you can tell that she only recently started training and thus looked out of place for a character who’s been doing it since birth.

This Hanna was made to seem like more of a normal teen, and that’s exactly how she came across. Therefore, I think it’s tough to argue that she looked as awkward as she should have for a girl who was raised in a cave, as doing so would completely contradict itself.

There were no books or literature for her to learn from, no pictures with which to identify things. All she had was the verbal knowledge & descriptions passed on from her father. It’s no different than trying to explain what society is, as well as every structure and object within it, to a blind person. Yet she seemed to understand everything as though she’d already been immersed in it for a year. Like I said- the photo booth event sums it up perfectly- it’s like her 2nd day in the real world and she’s taking silly pics as if she’s a typical normal teenager on a spring break vacation.

She wasn't raised in a cave. She was raised in a house. She had books on science, history,etc.i think they discussed whales or some other animal. Remember her stepdad would quiz her

she wasn't raised by wolves but another human being. You may think this type of upbringing would raise some feral type of kid but it wouldnt. The way the actress played it is pretty much how that kid would act. Keep silent, watch others and mimic what they do. Like an eight year old who is trying to hang out with twelve year olds. The photo booth is a perfect example of that. Her friend started goofing she started mimicking. She probably made the same silly faces with her stepdad in the cabin. And her unique upbringing does come out in the instances when she resorts to gentle violence to voice her displeasure with guys actions. The Polish lumberjack gets a quick whack in the face and the kid at the party who tries to move HANNA away from the tv gets a quick foot to the jaw. Peaceful conflict resolution wasn't really taught I guess lol

Even in today's world there are people who live somewhat similar lives. They may not be totally isolated but they have very little interaction with the outside world. They dont run around like some wild beast when they interact with people



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Apr 15, 2019, 09:28 AM

Watching a ton of tv right now:
Our Planet
Killing Eve
A Discovery of Witches
Barry
GOT
Deadwood
Brooklyn nine nine

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Apr 16, 2019, 10:19 AM

Who does this actress look like besides Kristen Stewart? I want to say I recognize her from another tv show.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 16, 2019, 01:18 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

Who does this actress look like besides Kristen Stewart? I want to say I recognize her from another tv show.

She looks a little like Reese Witherspoon to me. But its obviously not her.

cuchulainncuchulainnSupporter
Apr 16, 2019, 04:42 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

Who does this actress look like besides Kristen Stewart? I want to say I recognize her from another tv show.

This is Teresa Palmer...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1954240/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_Palmer

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 16, 2019, 04:47 PM

"cuchulainn wrote:

This is Teresa Palmer...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1954240/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_Palmer

Cool! I've never seen anything that shes been in.

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 16, 2019, 07:39 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

Who does this actress look like besides Kristen Stewart? I want to say I recognize her from another tv show.

Maybe a younger Rachael Taylor when she was in Transformers.

[ATTACH:full]

Teresa’s new witch-vampire series seems promising. Watched the pilot last week.

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 16, 2019, 07:44 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Cool! I've never seen anything that shes been in.

She was hot as hell in ‘I Am Number Four’ and super adorable in ‘Warm Bodies’ with Nicholas Hoult.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Apr 16, 2019, 08:22 PM

"ToddPhin wrote:

She was hot as hell in ‘I Am Number Four’ and super adorable in ‘Warm Bodies’ with Nicholas Hoult.

I know of both, but had no desire to see either. I know that Number 4 starred the blonde girl from Glee.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Apr 16, 2019, 08:40 PM

"cuchulainn wrote:

This is Teresa Palmer...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1954240/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_Palmer

I know her name. What happened is I was watching Discovery of Witches last night and thought she looks exactly like this girl from this other show! I wonder if it's the same actress. So by the time I got my computer open to check the show I had forgotten the name of the damn show and now it's driving me crazy. Teresa Palmer has only been in movies I've seen so it's not her I was thinking of but someone who looks just like her in that picture I posted.

"ToddPhin wrote:

She was hot as hell in ‘I Am Number Four’ and super adorable in ‘Warm Bodies’ with Nicholas Hoult.

Nope not her but she's awesome.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.