1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Shows Out Right Now

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm a Marvel guy mostly. My wife is big time into the Arrowverse and I've watched a lot of those, but its not really my thing.

I also can't help by chuckle that in the Teen Titans Go movie, they teased that Alfred would get a movie before Robin did, and here we are sort of. :chuckle:

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    It was one of the better docu-drama TV shows I've seen in recent years and I highly recommend it as well. It's easily one of the most colossal mistakes by a government in modern times and the portrayal was excellent.

I don't know if you could put something like that in a "top 5" since it was only 6 episodes, but it's definitely top 5 for it's category...and probably the best docu-drama series ever made.

3. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    The critics didn't like it very much, so I wasn't sure what to expect from Amazon's Carnival Row, but I ended up enjoying it a lot. It seemed to be tipped as the next GoT (isn't every new show...), and it's not on that level, so may be why there's fairly negative or average reviews, but on it's own it's an amazing show to look at (the budget must have been significant) with a decent storyline and some good acting. It's set in a steampunk-ish Victorian London like world with mythical creatures like human sized fairies (fae) and satyrs (pucks), and there is a strong racism/immigration underlying story in them ending in the Borgue, after a war, and being not wanted and hated by the majority of the population. The war the people of the Borgue were fighting was with the Pact who are killing the fae (hence the immigration to the Borgue), you don't see much of them but seem to me to be based on the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany. Would like to see more of them and the background to the war, but it's not covered much in this season.

I've never been a fan of Orlando Bloom, but he redeems himself in my eyes in this one as the main character.

Give it a few episodes to see if it grabs you, as it does take a while to get going, but there's a 2nd season commissioned so at least it's not a wasted watch if you do like it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    rafael and Unlucky 13 like this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I really enjoyed Carnival Row. I had no expectations going in. I didn't see anything on it, hadn't seen any reviews and wasn't familiar with any actors besides Bloom (I'm neutral on him). I just happen to be flipping through and it was on the top of the screen. But I was hooked one episode in.

Claymore95 likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The Boys is so, so, so good.

Karl Urban is the most underrated person in Hollywood. He straight up kills it in everything he is in and never gets the star recognition he deserves.

He is great in this. He was great in Thor Ragnarok. He was great in the Star Trek movies. He was great as Judge Dredd. He was great in the amazing short lived show Almost Human.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Totally agree on Karl Urban, with everything you mentioned. Plus, LOTR!

Fin D likes this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah it makes no sense why he's not one of the bigger stars out there.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It seemed like he was there for a while. Prominant roles in a bunch of major movies. Then his own TV show with Almost Human. (which was amazing, and awesome, so of course it was cancelled quickly). Then mostly smaller stuff since then, and not as much. I look forward to anything that I see he's going to be in though, most of the time. Really enjoyable actor. The last I read, he was totally on board with another Star Trek movie, and it was a few of the others that Paramount was trying to convince.

9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    It had me interested thought the first couple episodes, then began to grow bored midway through and switched over to Fastest Car and Glitch on Netflix, which were both quite good, especially Fastest Car. Maybe I should’ve given it more time.

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Season 2 of Lost In Space is coming on December 24th on Netflix. Did anyone else watch and enjoy the first season like I did?

11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    My wife and I loved the first season, can't wait for the 2nd one.

Fin D likes this.
  12. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    totally forgot about Almost Human. Enjoyed that one a lot as well.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its a spectacularly made show. A feature film every episode almost. Molly Parker, the lead actress, is really really good in the role. I just wish that they would lighten things up a bit more every once in a while, and not be super serious and stressfull full bore. Hoping for more from the characters Don and Penny in season two.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  14. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Would give Raising Dion on Netflix a try, think it might be something you would enjoy. It's the story of an 8 year old kid who develops superpowers, and how his single mother has to deal with it and all that it entails. Decent storyline, not great, but definitely watchable and I would watch a second season. It's not got ultra-violence or any X-rated swearing or nudity, so you might enjoy it more.

I found the actor playing the 8 year old a bit annoying at times, and don't think he did a great job, but he didn't put me off and I managed to binge-watch all the episodes in 2 nights. Strange number of episodes though, with only 9 in this season.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've got nothing against swearing and nudity! :up:

It's the dark storylines/themes, people being miserable, and especially gore that bother me.

Claymore95 likes this.
  16. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I just finished the Righteous Gemstones. Great first season but they cleaned up all the story lines so I'm not really sure where they will go with season 2.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    cant wait. Watchmen start tonight and next month is the final season of Man in the High Castle!!!!!!!!!

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Sooooo next? :confused2:

19. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    :lol:

Was a quiet interlude from my usual TV diet of senseless violence at least ;) Read Lucky's posts wrong and though he didn't enjoy any shows like that, but it's just gory violence and dark storylines he's not keen on.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My wife watched the trailer for Raising Dion and is really interested in it. We added it to our que, and will get to it eventually.

Claymore95 likes this.
  21. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    First Episode of the Watchmen was better than expected.

Don Johnson was one of the main reasons I tuned in so him dying sucked

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I thought that the movie was worth seeing once, even though it was too dark and despondant for my tastes. But I wouldn't want to immerse myself in that world on a weekly basis.

23. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    His Dark Materials started last night, not watched it yet but hearing it's a big improvement on the film and is much more faithful to the book(s). Joint production by BBC and HBO, so shouldn't suffer from the reticence of the film in dealing with the themes raised in it.

Looking forward to it as, even though they're really YA/children's books, I read them all a long time ago and really enjoyed them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It sounds interesting, and I'd probably check it out if it wasn't only on HBO in the US.

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    rafael likes this.
  26. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
  27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    When we first got Netflix last Autumn, my wife and I thought that it would be a show that our older daughter would like. Its rated Y7, looks cool, magic and all. But after we'd watched the first two episodes, our daughter had zero interest. However, my wife and I both loved it. Its Y7 because there aren't curse words or bloody gore, but it has all of the other content that a good prime time network show would have, with great voice acting, really good characters, action, comedy, and an engrossing plot. The creator said that he wants to do seven seasons to fully tell the story, so I have my fingers crossed that they let him.

28. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    There's always room for more high fantasy, IMO. The episodes I caught (not many) of Avatar and Legend of Korra were a step above, as well, so I can see why this has been critically acclaimed.

For me, I grew up with Saturday mornings full of Dragonball Z, Reboot, and Beast Wars, so I like seeing these shows that can challenge imaginations a little bit. Most of the new cartoons on Cartoon Network are pretty glib and unfunny any more, like Amazing World of Gumball.

29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I think that most of what Cartoon Network does is geared towards a pretty narrow audience, like 10-14 year olds. I don't see how anyone else could like it. We don't let our kids watch most of it.

I feel fortunate to have grown up in the 80s, with a golden age of cartoons. Transformers, GI Joe, Thundercats, The Real Ghostbusters, ect. Those were my Saturday mornings and then weekday afternoons in syndication.

30. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    FWIW, Beast Wars was Transformers. It's funny looking back at the beginning of computer animation finding it's way into television series. Back then, it was a challenge. Now, it's a way to make things go faster and cheaper. I relish the hand-drawn stuff more now, especially with all of the cynical live-action remakes that Disney is pumping out currently.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Cartoons are a lot better now. GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats are not very good. They have some nostalgia quality, but we're just big toy commercials.

Nothing I watched as a could hold a candle to b Adventure Time, Avatar The Last Airbender, Gravity Falls, Hilda, or the mini series Over The Garden Wall.

Not to mention the amazing kids anime life My Hero Acadamia, Doctor Stone, and the many others.

I couldn't imagine the pain I put my parents through watching He Man and Silver Hawks.

First 2 seasons of the real Ghostbusters is tight

Stitches likes this.
  32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I tried Hilda. Couldn't get into it. I like weird, and I like English, but it was too dry. As far the the 80s cartoons, I agree that they haven't aged well as something for 42 year old me to watch again, but as a kid in the 80s, they were awesome. I don't care if they were commercials or not, because I loved the toys too. It was all a huge part of my childhood, and a warmly remembered one.

My older daughter has recently discovered Pokemon, and its basically more of the same idea. She watched every episode of the newest series three times.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    As a kid we had terrible tastes. Once in a whole there was a gem like the Real Ghostbusters, but only because the exes didn't believe in the show and did not care until it became popular and ruined it.

Most of the cartoons in the 80s were terrible. Youth is good, the cartoons were mostly bad

Stitches likes this.
  34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Glad I can spread the word!

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have to pick it back up. Every review tells me all the things that bother me from the show improves in season 2

37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I really hope that they haven't changed much, because so much of it is what I enjoy! My only hesitation comes in questionable motivations for one of the characters, but I'm hoping that they dig down and explain that better.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I dislike the animation. It took away my enjoyment of the show. I hear season 2 they greatly improve it.

39. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    anyone watching Disney Plus yet? watched the first episode of Mandalorian last night. Eager to see if they do backstory of the Mandalorians as series unfolds. Also will say, getting my teenagers to actually sit down and watch TV with me in first time in forever - watching a lot of the PIXAR shorts and laughing our butts off - worth the price of admission.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Not yet, but my family will be subscribing at some point.