1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV Shows Out Right Now

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The new season of Fear the Walking Dead is pretty damn good. Definitely better than the last few seasons from the Walking Dead.

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I just finished it today. The show is delightful. I wouldn't call it great, but it is good enough for me to watch for six episodes, enjoy, and hope for a season 2.

Fin D likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't know that I'll ever get used to the super short seasons that shows have now sometimes. I still think of 22 episodes as being normal, and feel that 12-15 is short. But its been years since a show that I regularly watch was given the full 22 episode run. Now, I guess its pretty normal for streaming shows to only go 8-10 as a "full" season, and some are designed for less than that. Its like a snack, not a filling meal. And its even weirder when there are multiple years between seasons sometimes.

4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Watched Good Omens and Catch 22 on Amazon. Catch 22 was good but darker then the movie and the book. I remember the book being kind of absurdist and the movie took that tack. The series however was more serious and focused on the dark nature of the situation. Personally, I would've gone for a lighter take.

Good Omens was very enjoyable. The two main characters, an angel and devil were great. The problem was when they weren't on the screen the series became kind of dull and boring. None of the other characters were very interesting. The good thing is the angel and or devil dominated screen time so the lulls in between weren't that long.

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I remember the book being very dark. Though I haven't read it since high school. It was funny and absurdist, but a good chunk of the book is him saying "there, there" to a guy who is obviously dead.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  6. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    It was dark and absurdist. Guess a black comedy. I think the series focused more on the dark whereas the movie focused more on the absurd

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not like the movie much. I felt it was a very abridged cliff note version of the book.

I do agree that the movie focused more on the zany than the dark.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  8. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Damn, will I have to start the show from the beginning to catch up to when it starts getting good?

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That’s just bc you’re accustomed to shows with minimal content/production value. :tongue: Better material costs more & takes longer.

Not to mention, Serial shows (ongoing plots) need to be paced better & can’t contain as much useless filler space. With Episodic shows (aka stand-alone episodes, aka usually boring tv, aka sometimes plotless), you can produce a whole lot more of it obviously bc you’re essentially dealing with new material each episode...... whereas with Serial shows there typically isn’t enough material to support more than 8-12 episodes.

An ongoing plot with 20+ episodes?.... at multiple seasons no less? Yikes, that’d be a lot of f***in work. Could you imagine one of your stand-alone CSI episodes having to last 20 episodes, let alone 3 seasons of 20+ episodes for the same plot? There’s no way. The content would suck; the writing would end up having to suck; and the viewer would grow bored and lose interest within 4 episodes.

Thankfully there are so many great Serial shows out there that it doesn’t matter that they’re shorter than their Episodic cousins. It’s probably better that they’re short bc it allows you time to watch other great shows. I mean, the whole point of serial shows is that they’re basically like watching a movie but formatted much longer. 10 episodes might seem short to you, but in movie time it’s the equivalent of a 7-8 hour film. But that’s just for 1 season. 3 seasons and you’re looking at 22 hours. The Lord of the Rings trilogy by comparison was told in 9 hours.

All of Harry Potter was told in 18 hrs and 38 min, still equivalent to or less time than 3 seasons of a serial show at 8-10 episodes per yr.

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that there's certainly room for both at the table. Comedy doesn't need to be serial to be entertaining, though it can be serial and be spectacular, as evidenced by The Good Place. I don't watch shows for stupid people, and there's very little comedy on TV that I even pay attention to these days, but I'd like there to be! I see The Good Place as the spiritual successor to other offbeat NBC comedies over the years that I've enjoyed a lot: Community, Scrubs, News Radio and Night Court. All shows that are smart, well acted and well written, and ones that although you can watch the episodes out of order and still like them, are best if you get all of the inside jokes that are built in over time.

I'm also a person who puts a lot of value on production quality. Camera work and angles, sets, costumes, and of course the level of acting writing and directing. Its difficult for me to enjoy something that's sub par and/or unprofessional, even pure comedy.

My other favorite current show, Agents of Shield, is very much both high quality and episodic. In fact, you have to know all of the movies in the MCU to fully grasp and appreciate it, and it takes all of that burden on when crafting every episode. The show was originally 22 episodes per season, until ABC tried to cancel it due to poor ratings, before being told that they had to keep creating it by Disney. They generally would split the Autumn and Spring into two separate plot arcs. Now, its just a half season show due to being limited.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    And how many main characters are in Agents? A bit easier to have more episodes when you have like 15 characters to build up and lend screen time to. If you took away 10 of those characters and could only focus on 5 or less [like most shows], how many episodes do you believe each season would be?

12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    There are five primary characters who have been there since day one, and have been in every episode. Others have come and gone as time has passed, generally about eight at a time, give or take. And for me, that's about the best number. Similar to what most of my other favorite shows over the years have had.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Dark season 2 is out. Booyah. Contemplating rewatching season 1 first.

14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, I enjoyed it too. Tennant is always a favorite.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  15. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    news radio, one of the more underrated sitcoms and one of my favorites.
    I still enjoy Agents of Shield and last season definitely was a good one, but not one of my must-see shows. I tend to wait and start binge watching it, like this weekend with the new season.

16. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I know that I'm the opposite of many, but I really don't like binging TV shows unless its a comedy and I've been drinking. That, I've been doing for 20 years! But for a drama, I just feel like I've had enough after one episode, and want to wait at least a few days before watching another. It annoys my wife. :confused2:

17. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Holy cow. Just watched the 2nd episode of Chernobyl. Man, this is must see tv. I thought I knew the story but I never realized just how bad it really got for those russians

KeyFin and ToddPhin like this.
  18. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Finished chernobyl. If you haven't seen it you should. I know the basic story and yet I was still on the edge of my seat when they were fighting to contain the disaster. Plus you learn what really happened and I really wasn't aware the stupid reasons it happened, how bad it could have been and how close they were to worst case scenario. Really, really frightening

KeyFin and ToddPhin like this.
  19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Would you put it in your top 5 series all time?

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I might, though I would put it into a different category then The Vikings or Banshee or Penny Dreadful. I guess you would categorize it as a miniseries docudrama and in that category, quite frankly, it might be the best I ever seen. Usually in docudramas, the acting or directing or script is subpar but here everything was a ten. I wasnt kidding when I said I was on the edge of my seat at parts of this series. And they covered so many fascinating aspects. Like the part with the dogs. A lot of people would have left that out but I thought it was a fascinating fact to include. on a scale of 5, i gave it a five. There isnt a thing I would change about the series. The director did a great job

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  21. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    NewsRadio was one of the greatest comedies of all time. It was a slight rip off of WKRP IN CINCINNATI but was much funnier. Although WKRP had one of the funniest episodes ever when they had the turkey drop on Thanksgiving

Ohio Fanatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  22. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    As someone who grew up with all the sources it frequently references, I feel like the only person in the world that strongly dislikes the pandery Stranger Things.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Haven't watched it yet. My wife and I keep procrastinating about starting the series.

24. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I binge watched The Boys from Amazon over the last couple of days, and absolutely loved it. Very much R-rated, in language, violence and sex, and not in any way like your usual DC/Marvel superhero story.

From the same comic book creator of Preacher, and you can see the similarities in tone, so if you like Preacher, you'll probably like this too.

ToddPhin likes this.
  25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched the trailer, and was horrified. Made me uneasy for a while.

26. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I actually thought of you when I posted that..."Unlucky13 will HATE this show"
    :tongue::couch:

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Hey, I'm gonna be me. I was willing to look at it and see what was up based on a written preview. The broad idea of superpowered people who have gotten out of control is interesting. Then I saw the video and....yikes. That **** would give me nightmares. Can't do it. Nearly lost it watching an episode of Agents of Shield the other night when someone was shot in the hand. :unsure:

Claymore95 likes this.
  28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I just finished binging the show. Wow! I loved it. Has a very Watchman feel to it. A modern day Watchman if you will. Not subtle in its liberal politics. If you are a conservative, I would issue a trigger warning on the show.

Brutal as hell, one sex scene that would make anyone barf.

Generally shows where I don't really like the characters are shows I generally do not like. However, this one is the exception. I cannot wait until season 2.

ToddPhin, adamprez2003 and Claymore95 like this.
  29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched the first few episodes of Stranger Things season one last night. So slow, and dry as Hell. No characters that I really like thus far. If it wasn't for all of the positive press, I'd just be done with it and not think twice, but I'm going to watch a few more and see if it gets better.

30. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    If you don't like it instantly it's probably not for you.

Currently watching the Terror season 1 and I'm enjoying it. I'll watch the Boys next.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Unlucky 13 like this.
  31. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Gonna binge watch final season of Legion this weekend. Love this show. Think it's the best representation of mind battles I've yet seen produced. Battles within the mind are best produced in books. In movies or tv shows they tend to be ridiculous but Legion captures the insanity and drama of it very well. I will miss this show when it's gone

32. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Mind Hunter Season 2 and the Righteous Gemstones. Mind Hunter is such a compelling show. It's the kind of show that keeps you so enthralled you tune out things like checking your phone. Righteous Gemstones first episode was great as well.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, after four episodes, I'm permanently out.

After all I'd read, I thought that it was supposed to be something fun and supernatural with an 80s vibe. I kept seeing things like The Goonies, ET and Flight of the Navigator referenced. But its just plain old dark, brutal horror.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I feel like you're watching an edited version.

KeyFin likes this.
  35. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Casting remains the best part of Mind Hunter. Got a chuckle out of "Professor Pyg" from Gotham being the FBI Chief of the BSU for them.

Enjoying the BTK arc over the span of the seasons.

Tench's life in Season 2 has been so disappointingly predictable tho...

Especially with Tench's kid. You saw this coming in the first season and simply hoped they wouldn't go there...
    Tench's wife is also annoying as Hell. Every other FBI or cop's wife understand the job and is supportive. She's annoying.
    Zero interest in Wendy's personal sex life. Brings zero to the show. Same with Holden's in the first season. Just feels like fluff.

36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    *shrug*

I give them all the credit in the world for creating a highly believable early 80s small town. But, other than 11, none of the characters are really likable, including the other kids. They're all basically awful to one another all the time. And then the show is basically half an hour of boredom followed by a smaller period of dark and creepy. Just not for me at all.

But like I said, everyone keeps talking about what a throwback to the 80s the show is, and its just not reminiscent of either my life back in those days, or any of the various shows and movies that I enjoyed growing up as a kid. Maybe for people who were teenagers back then, its a different story, but I was in grade school.

37. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I like that they go into their personal lives but I do agree that Trench's wife is annoying. I think that's the point though.

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Surprised at all the comic guys here yet no mention of Pennyworth. Great show. About Batman’s butler Alfred back in his heyday.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've watched the newest five episodes of Disenchantment, and they're excellent. I had been under the understanding that the ones released last year were Season One, and this would be Season Two. However, apparently its all Season One, split into two years. There will be a second season, split over 2020 and 2021.

The first year took a little bit of time to get rolling, but these just pick up where the last ones left off, both literally and figuratively. The show truly is in the spirit of Futurama and the better seasons of The Simpsons, with the twist that everything that happens is in a sequential order and has consequences for the future. I typically do not like to binge watch shows, and would rather only watch a few episodes a week, at most, of any one. However, my wife and I watched five over two evenings this week, and we'll probably burn through the rest this weekend.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    We've also started watching Travelers on Netflix, and I like it. Its a bit of a bummer going in to know that it was cancelled abruptly after its third season, but its a cool and enjoyable show, with an interesting backstory about people who come from the future and take over the bodies of people in our time to attempt to prevent catastrophy. There are some fairly large plot holes involving that, which they chose to ignore in order to create drama and tension, but if you can get past that, its really well done.

Claymore95 likes this.