1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Kick Off Rule

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    One of the biggest questions heading into the 2024 season is what impact the NFL’s changes to kickoffs will have on the game and we’ve heard a lot of thoughts on the topic over the course of the offseason.

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel added a few more in a Thursday press conference. McDaniel said he thinks the new setup — coverage teams can’t move until a returner fields the ball or it hits the ground inside the landing zone — can be “a big needle mover in terms of yards which forecast points.”

McDaniel added that it wouldn’t surprise him to see top receivers and running backs being used as returners in order to take advantage of those opportunities.

“I think it opens up your roster because the lack of distance or the reduction of distance for the coverage teams makes it less substantial of an investment overall,” McDaniel said, via a transcript from the team. “So it may be guys that traditionally have been starters on defense or starters on offense, I think it gives you more flexibility to get starters on that unit for various reasons. Overall, it wouldn’t shock me if, shoot, every No. 1 receiver and every No. 1 running back in the league is raising their hands to return kicks Week 4.”

If teams are regularly making big plays on returns, we could see teams just opt to go for touchbacks even though offenses will now start at their 30-yard-line but that’s one of many things that will remain up in the air until teams start playing games later this year.

resnor likes this.
  2. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Thinking I don't like this new rule. Not seeing it as needed.

resnor and Unlucky 13 like this.
  3. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I'm keeping an open mind until I see how it plays out.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I want the Fins to kick the ball into the back of the endzone and force a touchback 100% of the time. No need to add risks and lose the game because of getting greedy on ST.

resnor and dolphin25 like this.
  5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    From 1920 to 1974, the NFL kickoff was conducted at the 40 yard line. It was moved back to the 35 yard line in 1974 to increase kick return rates.

For 54 years, the kickoff line was consistent. From 1974 to 2011, the kickoff line has been moved 3 times, that essentially once every 12 years…where it had been consistent for 54 years.

Now the league is experimenting with a radical change in the kickoff, essentially adopting the XFL’s kickoff rule. There’s no need for it.

I understand that each time the league moves the kickoff line back, it set the stage for potential injury with players running full speed down field to make a tackle. I understand that, but you still want the kickoff to be a part of the game.

Here’s my take. Kickers have gotten stronger and a touchback is not uncommon anymore with the ball being kicked from the 35. Fine, so be it, TDK’s COMMON SENSE solution is this easy. Keep the kickoff at the 35. Bell, even move it up to the 40 if you want. If the kicker kicks a touchback, the receiving team gets the ball at the 35 yard line. That’s a hell of a price for kicking a touchback and places more emphasis on a kicker’s placement skill rather than the overall strength of his leg.

Doing it this way maintains the integrity of the kickoff, provides opportunities for exciting returns and truly tests the skill of your kicker.

It doesn’t radically change the play…just applies consequences for plain power rather than skill.

resnor likes this.
  6. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Excellent idea !

resnor likes this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The kickoff is like the single point XP. It served its purpose for a long, long time, but has become both routine and archaic, and thus unnecessary. But instead of doing the logical thing and simply removing it and streamlining the game and making the whole experience better for everyone involved (fans, coaches and players) the league is going wacky to try to make it interesting, which for me only makes the game worse.

I would like to have a situation where a team scores a TD, the coach signals to the officials that they'll just take 1 point to make it 7, they go to commercial, and when they come back the other team has the ball on their own 20. Easy, clean, gives us the real football we want to see without the stuff that shouldn't make a difference. Streamline ST into field goals and punts, and that's it.

resnor likes this.
  8. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Countless games have been won and loss on an extra point make/miss and KO return for a TD. Getting rid of either takes a lot from the game.

The KO rules are (supposedly) about player safety. I think the new rule will add some excitement.

resnor likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    And I hate it that they do. Hate it, passionately. Losing a game because of a freaking ST blunder is horribly painful and hard to get over.

10. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    If they want kick off returns, why not just kick off from the 30? That would allow for returns, and if the kicker still kicks it into the endzone, good for him.

11. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    way too many extra points are missed to do that. I love the extra point kick.

resnor likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ideally the missed number would be zero.

13. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    What about winning a game on a missed XP or KO return?

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its a freak occurance if it happens, and I never want to rely on something like that. Given the choice, I'd much rather eliminate the chance of both winning or losing that kind of way, and settle matters on the field with offense and defense. And then there's also the benefit that if you're a solid team and up late in a game, the odds of losing are greatly reduced if nothing bad can happen on ST.

If my team loses because the opponent drove 80 yards in ten plays twice, it sucks but I can live with it, knowing that they failed fair and square, and its purely their fault. Kind of what happened vs TEN last season. But if they're up two scores and lose because of an onside kick or a KO TD, then it feels like complete garbage.

resnor likes this.
  15. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The league already had that

16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Not if you're the team that wins. I just think it's part of the game.

I totally understand your frustration with it though

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As I said, I would be delighted to remove both the chance of winning or losing all together if I could.

resnor likes this.
  18. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    right, just go back to it and get some KO returns if that is what they are seeking.

19. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Would you want the FG removed? same possible screw ups with FG and XP. Score a TD or punt?

20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I would like it if FGs and punts were the entirety of ST.

resnor likes this.
  21. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    But that was one of the factors that was leading to injuries, players colliding at full speed.

This is why I’m advocating the kickoff be turned more into a skill play rather than raw power of kicking touchbacks.

resnor likes this.
  22. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah I get it.