1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New England is DONE

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by GARDENHEAD, Jan 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

2. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Meh...look where the RG and RT are lined up. From this angle it looks like the WR is lined up with them and if he's not he may be 6" further back. My line isn't perfect, but it's close and shows that his foot is about where the lineman's hands are. A little further back, but not egregious.

Hey, how about that PI call against the Jags? Or the Jesse James "no" catch"?

upload_2018-2-12_8-19-35.png

Attached Files:

3. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    6"? Dude is about 4-5' off the LOS.

Receivers must be on the line, and the only ones who are allowed to be staggered in their stance are lineman or attached ends. Any flexed or split ends must be on the LOS.

*Hopefully they finally get the catch rule straight soon and simplify for less judgment calls. James, IMO, made a TD catch vs NE because he got both feet (knee actually), snagged the ball, began to bring it down, and then in a secondary motion reached across the goalline. Play was over then, and the balls movement when it hit the ground in the EZ was irrelevant.

4. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    The actual line of scrimmage is the back of the football. Only the center and TE are "on" the LOS. Then there is the neutral zone and the front tip of the ball is also the LOS. In this picture the defender is maybe off sides. The WR in question is ~6" back from the RT judging that his foot is about at the back of the RT's helmet.

Anyhow, it's not blatant and there is subjectivity to exactly where everyone should be because it's not like there are lasers out there showing the LOS.

upload_2018-2-12_13-22-42.png

5. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    I don't want to sound like a dick, but you don't have to explain to me the detailed rules of football. A receiver, flexed or split end, who must cap off the tackle, is not allowed to be staggered off the LOS like a lineman which is based on the outside foot alignment of the lineman next to them closest to the football.

I always enjoy outside the box mental exercises (especially when bias is involved), so picture the teams flipped here. I heavily suspect if that was the Patriots who ran that play to score on 4&Goal before the half, you would be hounding the **** out of them, and claiming the refs are in Belichick's back pocket.

There's no grey area here. It was a missed call, and an illegal formation.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  6. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    He capped off the tackle. I'd bet that 50 out of 100 plays in the NFL look just like this one. Meaning someone is back an ~6" or more from the LOS. And no, I wouldn't be upset if the Pats lined up this way. They probably did the entire game anyhow. Here are clips from each teams first drive. I circled where there was at least a 6" difference in where they lined up. Now, either one was offsides or the other wasn't on the line. If I went through the entire game I could probably pull up many examples.

upload_2018-2-12_13-53-29.png

upload_2018-2-12_13-55-54.png

7. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    And in each example they are lined up with the center and the football, not the slightly offset stagger of the guards and tackles.

8. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    No they are not. In both examples the WR's are not inline with each other but slightly off. Since that's the case then one is offsides or one is not on the LOS.

9. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    Those WR's are NOT staggered off the LOS like guards and tackles. Back to the original discussion of that 4&Goal, that WR was staggered and therefore it was an illegal formation.

You're being ridiculous, and are frankly incredulous to think anyone but the Patriots are subjected to favorable calls on occasion.

10. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I've stated repeatedly that the refs miss calls. If you think the refs aren't clearly biased towards the Pats, however, you're not watchinf enough football. lol

My point is, this particular call is pretty consistently inconsistently called. Why? There is a lot of subjectivity to it. The LOS is a concept and not written in stone. If you want to get anal about what the LOS is we could measure it to the millimeter and players would be off the line or offsides on every play. But that's not going to happen. If you watch the play in question the WR asks the ref if he's lined up OK. The ref must have said yes. No?

Here's a great piece from PFT:

Were the Eagles lined up in an illegal formation when Nick Foles caught a touchdown pass on a fourth-and-goal trick play? Not according to the NFL.

A league source tells PFT that the league views it as a judgment call, not a call that was clearly right or clearly wrong.

The question is whether the wide receiver was on the line of scrimmage, in which case the formation was legal, or behind the line of scrimmage, in which case the Eagles only had six players on the line and were in an illegal formation.

The official thought the wide receiver was lined up close enough on the line to be covering the right tackle, and as a result the league doesn’t believe the Eagles got the benefit of a bad call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ossible-illegal-formation-as-a-judgment-call/

11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. Carmen Cygni

Dec 30, 2017
    LMAO. That X is so far off the LOS.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  13. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Did you see him ask the ref if he is OK? Do you think there's a conspiracy between him and the ref? Do you think the ref missed the call? Do you agree that it's subjective? I mean, I guess there's subjectivity on 99% of all calls, but this is something that goes on 1 out of 2 plays. He was covering the tackle.