1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Army bullet design

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by gafinfan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

A bullet with dimples? What do you think Marty? I want one!!:up:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/us-army-team-tests-radical-new-dimpled-bullet/

like2god likes this.
  2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    what took so long to discover this... I read an article about what the dimples on a golf ball do several years ago, I would not have thought to apply it to a projectile either to be honest. Be interesting to see how this affects artillary. The final sataement was interesting too;

Transferring all the energy into the target has always been the intent, this seriously enhances that. I wonder how this applies to Police.. many went to supervell years ago to prevent shoot through and causing collateral damage to others. This will enhance the knockdown and help prevent through and throughs. Thanks Ron, interesting stuff.

DeDolfan, like2god and gafinfan like this.
  3. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I would love to see a gel block after one has been fired into it. If what they are describing the devastation should be an eye opener, as in OH ****!!!

gafinfan likes this.
  4. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    My son is working on this "air disrupter" principle for a science project on rocket fin and nose cone design. As Marty said, it was born from the dimples of a golf ball. And, as Marty said again, what took so long. My son is 7 years old.

gafinfan, Ducken and opfinistic like this.
  5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Come on now guys you know how stick in the mud Military Brass is, If it wasn't for us snot nose types they would still think black powder was the cats meow!!

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Oh you are about to see DRAMATIC changes in artillery shells Marty, but it has nothing to do with dimples :up:

Think: Fins :smile:

7. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I was actually just being facetious, as I think you are doing now. :lol:

We can't say they haven't been trying for quite some time. Check out this oldie with the vortex generators on the wings.

[​IMG]

8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    But, higher velocities don't necessarily mean higher kinetic energies being delivered.

There is less mass now, does it have the same impact "force"?

Sorry if this has been answered in the article, at work, didn't get a chance to read the whole artilce.