1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needy teams shouldn't wait for second round to draft a QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Apr 15, 2011.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...econd-round-to-draft-a-qb?module=HP_headlines

How many teams in front of us might pick a QB?
    Every team up to Dallas could be hunting a QB and if theres a good one still on the board i wouldn't put it past Dallas to even grab one.

1. Carolina Possible QB
    2. Denver Possible QB
    3. Buffalo Possible QB
    4. Cincinnati Possible QB
    5. Arizona Possible Qb
    6. Cleveland Possible QB
    7. San Fran Possible QB
    8. Tennessee Possible QB
    9. Dallas first team with the least need for QB
    10. Washington Possible QB
    11. Houston no need for QB
    12. Minnesota Possible QB
    13. Detroit no need for a QB
    14. St. Louis not sure on this one
    15. Whats possible left for Miami?

This part is just my opinion but look at the QB hungry list. Atleast eleven teams might be grabbing QB's.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why unsure on St. Louis? They're not going to take a QB that high after taking Sam Bradford last season.

Same goes for Cleveland. I'd be surprised if Buffalo took one that high.

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If 5 QBs end up in the 1st round (thanks in part to over drafting) then I could see 4 of them busting (or at least falling short of expectations), especially with the added pressure of producing sooner that comes with the territory.

This could turn out similar to the 1999 draft with Couch, McNabb, Akili Smith, Culpepper, and Cade McNown........ except these 5 were taken within the first 12 picks.

xphinfanx likes this.
  4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Just not that up on Saint Louis myself thats why the question there. Do they have a solid backup? Just alot of teams in the top that have been talking qb
    On the Bills site they are looking at Cam Newton as a possible first pick At #3.

And heres a quote straight from the Browns.

5. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the QB is only a 2nd round talent it doens't matter if they are taken with the #1 pick in the draft. There is a reason teams wait till the second round its because there is no talent at that position worth the first round when the drafted more of the time.

xphinfanx likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You could argue they need a backup but I don't think they will take one in the first round.

I don't buy that stuff about Cleveland and Buffalo, personally.

xphinfanx likes this.
  7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Taking QBs is the riskiest thing to do in the top half of the 1st round. If they're not ready to play they'll be on the bench, with a high salary, doing absolutely nothing to help you win. Unless the Coach/GM have some serious job security, or there's no other option available at the position, I don't see why they'd want to go there. Fans always want a shiny new QB, which is understandable. Then again, its not the fans' *** on the line if said QB doesn't pan out.

xphinfanx and ToddsPhins like this.
  8. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The Bills defense was the biggest problem on that team last year. Qb play was pretty solid, as is usual for a Gailey coached team.

The Bills are praying for Von Miller imo

xphinfanx likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Besides QB, what position is most important to you OZ?

Watching Cam wake the past 2 years and having that kind of talent on your team, makes me agree with your assessment.

10. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Besides Qb, I'd say pass rusher for sure. A solid pass rush gives the secondary a chance to take a chance or two.