Need to fix the reply boxes....

26 replies

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum VeteranOP
Aug 10, 2009, 08:43 PM

Ok...lets say I click on a thread. Thread opens up and I click on a post in that thread. Below that thread is a reply box. IF I type into that reply box, the reply doesn't automatically go to that post which I opened. Instead it goes to the first post in the thread. This is a major flaw.

Either force an option of Quote, Quick Reply, etc and have the reply box locked until one is clicked or have the reply actually go to the post that is replied on when you reply in the box without hitting one of those options.

It is a huge inconvenience when you have a long thread and 75% or more of the replies are not in the correct places to the posts they were meant for. It is an even bigger pain to then have to copy your post, delete the post, go back to the post you meant to reply to, click on quick reply, paste in your reply, change it up a little bit because you can't post the same thing within 5 min of each other, and then click submit.

This should be a very simple thing for you to fix as we have done this before on other v-bulletin message boards.

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Aug 10, 2009, 09:02 PM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

Ok...lets say I click on a thread. Thread opens up and I click on a post in that thread. Below that thread is a reply box. IF I type into that reply box, the reply doesn't automatically go to that post which I opened. Instead it goes to the first post in the thread. This is a major flaw.

Either force an option of Quote, Quick Reply, etc and have the reply box locked until one is clicked or have the reply actually go to the post that is replied on when you reply in the box without hitting one of those options.

It is a huge inconvenience when you have a long thread and 75% or more of the replies are not in the correct places to the posts they were meant for. It is an even bigger pain to then have to copy your post, delete the post, go back to the post you meant to reply to, click on quick reply, paste in your reply, change it up a little bit because you can't post the same thing within 5 min of each other, and then click submit.

This should be a very simple thing for you to fix as we have done this before on other v-bulletin message boards.

Simple fix:

Click the "Quote" button beneath the post you want to reply to and type away. The reply will show up as you see now.

Easy stuff. Nothing is broken brother.

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 09:36 PM

I realize that. This box I am typing in now is titled "Quick Reply". If I just type in this box WITHOUT hitting the quick reply button, it will place my reply with the first message in the thread.

HOWEVER, I don't want to quote anything you said. So, there is no reason for me to click "QUOTE". This box shouldn't be titled "QUICK REPLY" if in fact it IS NOT a quick reply to the post I am reading.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 09:38 PM

testing....

edit:

works fine for me :confused2:

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Aug 10, 2009, 09:46 PM

"anlgp wrote:

testing....

edit:

works fine for me :confused2:

Of course it does. ;)

Cudos

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 09:49 PM

Lets see...I just clicked on your post and now I am typing in the box without clicking on QUOTE or QUICK REPLY. Just typing in the box and clicking POST.....

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 09:50 PM

i am so confused as to what the original problem even is.........?

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 09:50 PM

....and as predicted, the post fell under the original in the thread.

Look in hybrid view and look at the box up top so show you the thread. You will see where everything falls.

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 09:55 PM

Switch to hybrid view and look in the top box. You will see what I am talking about.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 09:56 PM

"Celtkin wrote:

Of course it does. ;)

Cudos

i wasn't trying to be a smart ass either i don't get what the issue is or nothing is wrong on this end :confused2:

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 09:56 PM

linear mode FTW :lol:

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 09:57 PM

"SICK wrote:

linear mode FTW :lol:

yup that's what i use too! no wonder we didn't know what was going on :lol:

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 10:05 PM

However, not everyone uses that.

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 10:08 PM

"Celtkin wrote:

Do NOT click the post number and post a reply. That will NOT work.

Understand?

Where did I ever mention clicking the "POST NUMBER"? I am not the one here with the problem understanding. :up:

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury Box
Aug 10, 2009, 10:17 PM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

I guess you don't get this. If you have this kind of dis-pleasure take it to a pm to Brother Celtkin, and don't try to show him up in the forums.:pity:


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 10:18 PM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

Where did I ever mention clicking the "POST NUMBER"? I am not the one here with the problem understanding. :up:

no, imo you are the one not clarifying the issue you are having.....you are making it difficult to be helped....

people arent going to go out of their way to help someone who is acting like you are.....just my .02 bro :up:

there are better ways of doing what you are attempting

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 10:21 PM

I am not trying to show up anyone. I have no ill will.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Aug 10, 2009, 10:53 PM

Dude, all the cool posters view it in linear mode.

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Aug 11, 2009, 08:11 AM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

Switch to hybrid view and look in the top box. You will see what I am talking about.

It probably would have been useful to have pointed out that you were using a non-standard view of the forums. For most of us, your complaint seemed odd considering that the normal view is linear.

I will see if I can find a fix unless you already know how to fix it.

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 11, 2009, 09:27 AM

I will talk to my "boss" at the other vbulletin site where I admin at. I know there is something to make it work in the code because it functions correctly in hybrid view there.

Sorry that I didn't clearly state hybrid view from the start. I am used to most everyone, including myself, using hybrid on many other boards. I just assumed that it was being used by most here.

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Aug 11, 2009, 10:03 AM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

I will talk to my "boss" at the other vbulletin site where I admin at. I know there is something to make it work in the code because it functions correctly in hybrid view there.

Sorry that I didn't clearly state hybrid view from the start. I am used to most everyone, including myself, using hybrid on many other boards. I just assumed that it was being used by most here.

Thanks :)

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 11, 2009, 10:04 AM

Here we go:

In the admin control panel:
vBulletin Options > Threaded/Hybrid Mode Options > Enable Threaded/Hybrid Mode (YES) AND Use Threaded Mode by Default (YES)

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

[deleted][deleted]Luxury Box
Aug 11, 2009, 10:23 AM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

Here we go:

In the admin control panel:
vBulletin Options > Threaded/Hybrid Mode Options > Enable Threaded/Hybrid Mode (YES) AND Use Threaded Mode by Default (YES)

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

Ok, see if it works for you now. I have set the display preferences as you suggested.

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 11, 2009, 10:31 AM

Testing...1.2.3.

This is only a test. :)

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Aug 11, 2009, 10:32 AM

Nope. that didn't seem to fix it.

Weird.