1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NC Schools trying to eliminate some history

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by KB21, Feb 8, 2010.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584758,00.html?mep

This sounds like a liberal progressive idea to me. There are teachers in North Carolina claiming that there isn't enough time to teach all of US history in school, so they are proposing to start the history at Rutherford B Hayes. Basically, this leaves out everything about our founding fathers and what they stood for. It leaves out everything about the Constitution. It leaves out everything about the War against Northern Aggression.

And they want to eliminate it in leiu of "global studies". Really? Is this something the UN wants?

2. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I don't really see how this can be blamed on liberals but simply another classic case of the people in charge of education being clueless. If you don't teach US history to 1877 how can you pick it up there?...give a 10 minute intro. and say "We beat the British and survived the Civil War and 1877 here we are." It makes absolutely no sense but the article suggests its a proposal not actually mandated yet so until that happens its just sensationalized media at its finest. If the proposal does become law however what a shame.

I don't understand what school systems are up to anymore even my local school district has actually created a class to teach the Bible in a historical context in high schools as an elective but have not offered a world religions or other separate religion classes in contrast. Which gives the good ole' middle finger to not favoring one religion clause of the Constitution.

Point is individual school districts do stupid things constantly. Sadly when education is treated as a red headed step child to other issues the idiots will mostly always be in charge. This story just proves that and its sad really.

Frumundah Finnatic and gafinfan like this.
  3. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I really feel that the unions have alot to do with the downfall of the quality in our schools. As one who was in the system before all of the present day stuff yet dealing with my own children's ed. plus having an aunt in the GA system for 30+ years I can honestly say its a wonder our kids get any education let alone a proper one.

Yes I know there schools out there that are every bit as good as the ones I attended but imho they are the exception not the rule. Very sad.:no:

4. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I think you can trace the decline of public education back to when the federal government decided that they wanted to control education and established the Federal Department of Education.

FinFan_Est.1984 and gafinfan like this.
  5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Can you elaborate on this GA? Curiosity on my part only...not trying argue but simply gain more knowledge. :D

Also can you elaborate KB? Such as what's changed from then to now and some statistics from each if possible. Once again curiosity and wanting to know more about this. :up:

gafinfan likes this.
  6. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

This may help in answering some of your questions.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Education/ednotes71.cfm

I remember my Aunt Ruth, God bless her, saying that Carter's move would be the death of Education as we then knew it.

As a side note let me say it is stated many places that Teachers of my time got little or no respect. Don't you ever believe that horse pucky, next to Doctors or Preachers, teachers were right in that mix! My Aunt went to college in the 30's and that was made possible only because my Uncle and my mom's sole goal was to see her become a teacher. My mom quit school to go to work to help make it happen.

Hope you enjoy the read.

I had to come back and add this link which proves my point about unions, imo.

http://www.businessinsider.com/henr...more-per-day-so-town-fires-all-of-them-2010-2

I must give jdang307 due credit for this link, thank you kind sir. :up:

Ducken likes this.