1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBA lockout will dwarf the NFL strife

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Topdawg13, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link-

2. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    That's one sport I won't miss.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I like the NBA, not in love with the NBA, to me the players run the league a bit to much when Larry Brown of all people is fired because the players did not like him, and the man accomplished as much as he has in the NBA, things are off centre.

steveincolorado likes this.
  4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The players run every league Padre. Even the NFL. Very few coaches can survive a tiff with star players

5. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i hope it ceases to exist. actually, i care too little for one outcome over the other. but i do think it'd be pretty neat seeing 6'9" dudes handing me my value meal. i wont even have to unbuckle my seatbelt to reach for it. now THATS service.

so yeah, my choice is clear. DIE NBA DIE!!!

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm Andy Reid and Mike Shanahan are both still employed, NHL is a bit different but similar to the NBA as coaches are interchangeable, MLB not so much.

Brown "retired" because of Gerald Henderson and a couple of others thought "he is to old school", Brown managed to get them into the playoffs in 09-10, gone by midseason 2011, Bobcats promise to be atrocious this season but at least the players like the coach...

That is the sort of thing that I don't care for about the NBA, Bobcats have been turrible, drafted poorly, Coach manages to get some results and is asked to resign? That makes -0- sense.

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Like hockey this won't affect me personally at all. As long as baseball and football are around I'm a happy camper. It seems like the league had been making a comeback in the last few seasons. This won't help them at all.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, thing with the NBA is rarely does anything happen worth watching prior to the Spring, if they miss October throw January I doubt it will be missed very much, as this has happened before and things worked out alright in 1998-99, 50 game season instead of 82 games.

9. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    A lockout of any sport is not good for the countless people (not talking about players) who rely on it to make a living... we need the NBA and NFL not to miss any games.

PhiNomina likes this.
  10. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The NBA is the second most popular league in the US of A. it is the second most popular sport in the world.

It is rather important that there is a season next year.

Stitches likes this.
  11. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    The NBA is more popular than the NFL, (world wide)? I don't know??

Btw, it's only important that they play for those that are interested in that sport.

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Basketball is indeed a more popular sport worldwide than American football. Football (American soccer) is the most popular.

13. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I wasn't aware that the NBA was more popular than the NFL worldwide. I knew soccer was the most popular.

14. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I would also like to see the official country count for the NBA finals compared to the Super Bowl.

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Let's put it this way: there's a reason why international players are beating down the door trying to play in the NBA, whereas international players in the NFL (such as Amobi Okoye) are a rarity. This despite the NFL's larger draft, larger roster sizes, higher franchise count, and bigger scouting departments.

16. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    To be honest, it doesn't take a real man to play basketball like it does in the NFL.
    NBA players are kind of like........ kickers.........

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes it is. And it is not even close.

There are leagues all over the world and in China, it is the national sport. Games in China get massive audiences.

and those that are interested in the sport also include the 110,000 people employed by the teams and arenas during the season.

18. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Your attempt at humor leaves another impression.

Have you ever seen a NBA game at court level?

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This may have just topped "DIE NBA, DIE" as the dumbest thing you've said in this thread. No other way to describe it. Just… dumb.

At this point, I wonder why, if you despise basketball and the NBA so much, you're devoting this much time and energy to a thread about the NBA.

20. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Kickers can run up and down a court for 40+ minutes?

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is true, Basketball (not neccessarily the NBA) is popular around the globe with several countries and continenents having their own leagues, football is just sort of a smallish sport in places like Europe with club teams from Italy to the UK, and of course Canada and Mexico, but pretty much every country has a pro bball league of one form or another.

Easy to play BBall, hoop, ball, see easy, organized football requires loads of equipment, which leaves me a bit ambivalent about some things.

Anywho, another problem the NBA faces this time over the last lockout is there are new owners who paid fortunes for their teams, in 1998-99 most owners had held their properties for long enough that a 12 million dollar investment in the 80's was worth 5x that in 1999 making them more agreeable to looking at the players demands for shares of revenues as "house money", the new owners (12 0r 16 of them since 1999) have a very different view.

To make matters worse, if BSPN is to be believed...no talks until August.

22. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I do think the owners in the NBA are basically moving towards throwing a season away if it means a better deal for them down the road. Funny thing is the owners that are losing money are their own worst enemies. When teams started throwing huge guaranteed contracts at any 7 footer with a pulse and over paying every free agent this is what happens when you combine guaranteed contracts and terrible team management.

The NBA owners are some of the dumbest in any professional sport, how many guys are floating around with bad contracts that go from team to team in order to make trades work? There aren't a whole bunch of guys making 15 million in the NFL that suck, in the NBA there are quite a few guys making 10 mill a year that aren't worth 10% of that. The owners do this stuff to themselves and now thousands of people depending on the league are going to be out of work in this economy? Nice move. I think Stern's legacy is going to be this lockout and labor deal.

I was really interested in this years playoffs for the first time in a long time, and my team wasn't even in the playoffs. Now we are looking at a lost year? Bad move, I haven't had even the slightest interest in the NHL since their labor issues to be honest.

23. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Three words maybe? The Miami Heat?

24. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Why would I spend the money to go see a NBA game? Make you a deal, you pay for my court side seats and I'll come to Miami next year and we can sit next to each other.

25. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    So what your saying is that in the NBA, players run for 40 minutes? They never sub out?

26. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Nope, I turned down several chances to get free tickets to the Nuggets last season.

27. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Some play close to 40 minutes...

I think it's disrespectful to compare basketball players to kickers... basketball takes a lot of skill and you must be in good shape. Obviously you've never played the game competitively in your lifetime to think likewise.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Difference is huge that NBA contracts are guaranteed, NFL contracts are not, if Brady or Manning or Brees were waived the contract would not be paid off, they of course pocketed their signing bonuses, in the NBA no such option exists.

Sign a young player to big money in the NBA they could very well ride the bench in a suit for a yr until their contract is nearing experation and then they have some form of trade value, which was one of the ways the Heat could land the 3 guys, but the owner had to pay huge money to get to the point where they could sign them, eat the bad contracts then pay for the new ones.

Which is one of the reasons why I can see the owners point about the last labor deal creating structure that should be changed.

29. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    then..if you have never seen a game, how can you comment on it's physicality?

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  30. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    You would think that the NBA contracts being guaranteed would make the owners a little bit less spend happy but it seems to do the opposite. Every 2 bit free agent gets 50 million in the NBA, guaranteed, thats what is causing so many owners to be losing money. They do it to themselves, they blame the NBA salary structure but no one is forcing them to pay a stiff 15 million a year.

31. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I love when fans tell NBA owners they should sign smarter contracts.

If your team got bounced out in the first round of the playoffs and didn't go above the salary cap to try and sign a FA to put them over the top, would you ***** and moan, or would you say, "I'm glad my owner made the smart play and stayed profitable rather than going for it all and trying to win."

The owners are in a Catch-22 - spend over the cap trying to win and lose money, or don't spend the money, turn off your fan base and lose money.

I think I saw a stat that the last 6 NBA champions have been over the salary cap - meaning in a league that is already run by the teams with the most money / best place to party, the gap grows wider by the teams in large markets.

I'm not blaming the players, obviously they should fight to get everything they can - but at the same time, if teams aren't profitable, the system should be changed. Sooner or later that is going to impact the players and their ability to make money.

Stitches likes this.
  32. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    How does all American sport get into this state ? Ive never seen anything like this in any soccer league across the globe.

Is it coz most/all teams are franchises ?

33. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    because sports in the USA have collective bargaining.

Leagues in the US operate under agreements signed between owners and unions.

34. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    This is another prime example of why ALL unions should be abolished.