1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My unworthy first round mock, plus the rest of Miami's picks...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    It’s all over the place, especially from 11 to 20, where I think it’s the most unsettled at the moment. I actually think 21 thru 32 was easier to forecast.

1. Detroit- QB Stafford, Matthew
    This appears to be the direction the Lions are going to go, over left tackle whom I think would be better value here in Jason Smith as they could drop Backus down to guard

2. St. Louis- OT Smith, Jason
    Some mocks have them taking Crabtree here. But IMO you can't pass up the next franchise left tackle, we all know you need one before a wide receiver.

3. Kansas City- LB Curry, Aaron
    The Chiefs get awesome value once again in the first round after nabbing Dorsey and Albert last year with Aaron Curry, whom I feel is the best player in this draft.

4. Seattle- OT Monroe, Eugene
    Left tackle makes an aweful lot of sense for the Seahawks here. After grabbing TJ in free agency, they don't "need" to draft Crabtree.

5. Cleveland- LB Orakpo, Brian
    Browns are still looking for that outside rush off the edge and Orakpo gives them a presence at outside linebacker. With Mangini taking over, you'd expect them to go defense with this pick. Some might think they'd take a shot at Crabtree here, especially if they are looking to trade Braylon Edwards as has been rumored. Since that hasn't happened yet, we can only go with the known quantity and that is to take the best pass rusher in the draft.

6. Cincinnati- OT Smith, Andre
    This may be a surprise to some but the Bengals don't fear taking on players with possible character concerns. They could certainly use the help at tackle.

7. Oakland- WR Crabtree, Michael
    And the Raiders get a potential steal here in Crabtree. There are many positions the Raiders could address with this pick, but Al Davis likes to shake things up. Taking the best WR in the class is something he wouldn't hesitate to do.

8. Jacksonville- WR Maclin, Jeremy
    Makes a ton of sense for the wide receiver starved Jags.

9. Green Bay- CB Jenkins, Malcolm
    No secret that the Packers are getting long in the tooth at corner. Taking the best one in the draft makes a ton of sense at this pick.

10. San Francisco- DE/OLB Brown, Everette
    The 49ers go with the pass rusher at this pick.

11. Buffalo- OT Oher, Michael
    Obvious selection here... now that Peters has been traded

12. Denver- DT Raji, BJ
    In need of some meat in the middle of their defense, the Broncos get the best defensive tackle in the draft.

13. Washington- DE Jackson, Tyson
    Perfect fit for what the Skins lacked last year, a left defensive end.

14. New Orleans- OLB Cushing, Brian
    In need of an outside linebacker, the Saints get the best one on the board.

15. Houston- CB Davis, Vontae
    One of the harder picks to forecast, they franchise tagged Dunta Robinson yet when is he healthy? They could look at Clay Matthews but is he a fit?

16. San Diego- LB Maualuga, Rey
    Why not… he makes a ton of sense at this pick. Inside presence that the Chargers lack IMO.

17. New York Jets- QB Sanchez, Mark
    This was a hard pick to decide on for the Jets. They could go WR, DE, CB… yet Sanchez has fallen to them here. I think if you have a shot at your franchise quarterback you can’t hesitate to pull the trigger.

18. Denver- LB Laurinaitis, James
    After selecting Raji at 12, the Broncos come back and get the leader of their defense for the next several years. If the Broncos switch to a 3-4, both these picks make an aweful lot of sense to a team that’s defense has struggled for too long.

19. Tampa Bay- QB Freeman, Josh
    Perhaps a mini surprise. The Bucs can’t pass on a franchise quarterback either with their new front office / coaching staff in place. They do something here that Gruden should have done for the last several years, draft a quarterback high!

20. Detroit- DE/OLB Maybin, Aaron
    Lacking an edge presence at defensive end, the Lions address that hole with this pick.

21. Philadelphia- RB Moreno, Knowshon
    Knowshon gives them their next great running back and adds depth behind Westbrook for the time being.

22. Minnesota- WR Harvin, Percy
    Clearly the Vikes need to address their WR spot once again. Harvin is just what the doctor ordered.

23. New England- OLB Matthews, Clay
    Pats get their guy with this pick. Didn’t Belichick coach his dad back with the Browns?

24. Atlanta- DE Ayers, Robert
    Now that the Falcons have addressed their need at tight end, I now have them taking a player who will complement Abraham on the opposite side. Solid pick for the Falcons.

25. Miami- WR Nicks, Hakeem
    The most NFL ready wide receiver in the draft. The Phins get the compliment to Ted Ginn that they have been lacking.

26. Baltimore- CB Smith, Sean
    With McAllister and Rolle gone, expect the Ravens to go corner with this pick. Smith gives them a style of corner they covet, big and physical at the line, athletic to make a play on the ball while in the air.

27. Indianapolis- DT Jerry, Peria
    No secret the Colts need a presence in the middle of that defense to help stop the run. Jerry is a great fit.

28. Buffalo- TE Pettigrew, Brandon
    Certainly makes a lot of sense with the Bills needing a tight end.

29. New York Giants- WR Heyward-Bey, Darrius
    Giants get the big wideout that can stretch the field.

30. Tennessee- WR Britt, Kenny
    No secret the Titans need to add another wideout. Britt is the best available.

31. Arizona- RB Wells, Chris
    I can’t believe I have Wells dropping this far but such is the life of a high profile running back in this draft. Teams know they can get running backs in the second and third rounds so they address other positions. The Cards on the other hand get who I feel is the best running back in this class. A major steal at this spot in the draft.

32. Pittsburgh- C Mack, Alex
    This guy has Steelers written all over him.

My guesses at some names we could see with our other picks:
    2.44 LB Clint Sintim – inside or outside, the Phins certainly have a linebacker who can play in nickel which IMO is something they need.
    2.56 CB Jairus Byrd – they should go corner with this pick. Darius Butler is also an option
    3.87 NT Dorrel Scott – certainly need another option at the nose. Scott would be solid if he’s still available. His stock has gone up, has it gone up beyond this pick?
    4.108 G Tyronne Green – Phins go guard for second draft in a row in the fourth round
    5.161 CB Keenan Lewis – another corner? Sure thing.
    6.181 LB Frantz Joseph – perhaps wishful thinking for him to last until the sixth
    7.214 RB Josh Vaughan – underrated
    7.237 QB Mike Teel – nice sized prospect has risen up draft boards

B.Sebo likes this.
  2. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    I would be very okay with that Paul, good job!

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Only picks I dislike are Green and Cosby, more so Cosby than green.

Vaughan looks intriguing as hell if you look at his workout #'s and production this past year.

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wouldn't complain with that outcome. And it seems very plausible.

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't think we need another Davone Bess in Cosby. We've got enough and what we really need is that tall physical WR.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Cosby in the seventh... can't go wrong with that pick IMO

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    heh, if the best you can do is gripe on my seventh round pick, perhaps I'm doing okay then... oh yeah, forgot the worth you attach to those seventh round picks bro... :tongue2:

8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It may be just a 7th but you gotta do better than that.

9. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I'll change it AFTER I make my seventh round pick in the GM league... don't want to give away any secrets... :knucks:

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Made a couple of changes to the Phins, can you spot them?

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I like this one even better.

Paul 13 likes this.
  12. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Better I guess. Would actually hope for Britt just a bit more but solid.

Paul 13 likes this.
  13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I do not see why guys are now starting to put Teel in Phins mock drafts in the 7th. I'd think if we draft a QB it would be one who can run the Wildcat.

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Because we've met with him and his stock has climbed from UDFA to at least the seventh round. The drafting of a qb is predicated on us moving John Beck, which is not something I am in support of... but my mock is more objective than most. :wink2:

MrClean likes this.
  15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    updated for the Bills / Eagles trade... PIMA!!

16. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Come on Paul. You're Dolphins mock is way too close to mine. Now when I post mine people are going to think I copied you. Obviously I like your picks though.

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    heh... sorry, I'm hardly ever correct on my mocks, so you should change your picks. :shifty: :tongue2:

sports24/7 likes this.
  18. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I swapped Pettigrew and Ayers... Atlanta and Buffalo... for the final version, to account for the Falcons acquiring Gonzo. I'm letting the rest ride!!!