1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Thoughts: 'Other NFL' Coaches On The Outs?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Nov 17, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just speculating.

I think Jack Del Rio could be on the outs. A year after looking like a very good team, they have fallen apart. Starting Linebacker Mike Peterson got into a heated debate with Del Rio and was banished from the team for two practice days. Then was demoted to second team and the locker room has had some of its own troubles. The main part of their philosophy is to pound the rock and while they're ranked 11th in the league, they have been inconsistent. Between Jones-Drew and Taylor, they're averaging around 3.9 yards per rush which is below league average. Their offensive line has been in shambles so I will give them that. However, David Garrard hasn't been able to make the plays he made last year. He has twice the picks through ten games and only has eight passing touchdowns. Drayton Florence didn't look that good last night when he was beaten twice or three times by Justin Gage I believe, including twice for a touchdown. I know prior to last season, Del Rio's name was on the hot seat and I think this just may be the year he and the Jaguars got their separate ways.

Moving on, other guys that are on the outs in my opinion are Marvin Lewis, Wade Phillips, Jim Haslett, Brad Childress and Tom Cable. I really want to put Norv Turner on this list but I'm not quite sure he's going to be a goner after only a year ago leading his team to a playoff victory.

Jim Haslett is really a toss-up for me. The Rams had a deal that would have given him a head coaching job with the organization if he won six games I believe it was. However, that was vetoed by the league once the Rooney Rule came into play. By the way, I'm not a fan of that rule. He has had his team down at least 35 pounds at half time in two consecutive weeks. The team is abysmal, lacks talent, lacks a talented talent evaluator and spends money unsuccessfully on free agents. The Rams need a new front office, coach, scout and just about everything else. If they don't blow this team up after this year, they will be the next Detroit Lions.

On to Marvin Lewis. Lewis may have sealed his fate after that Houston Texans game where the team didn't even look like they were trying. Jonathan Joseph, I think it was, let Kevin Walter haul in a ball and didn't even touch him down, enabling Walter to score. They faced a bad Eagles team yesterday and are officially on a two game non-losing streak, if you could imagine that. Lewis doesn't have a great relationship with dictator Brown and has his thoughts and transactions overruled by the GM, such as the Chris Henry fiasco.

Wade Phillips came away with a big win last night and his team is in third place, despite a tied record with second place, Washington Redskins. His team has been over-confident this year, they've struggled to stop the run and pass due to poor conditioning and lack of execution. I still don't believe the Roy Williams deal was a better one than possibly going after Nnamdi Asoghuma. Jason Garrett will be a hot commodity this off-season, despite his sometimes poor play-calling and I don't see Jerry Jones letting this guy leave. Not a chance but I could be wrong.

Moreover, after having Super Bowl aspirations, the Vikings have fallen flat on their face. Tarvaris Jackson hasn't developed after working with Rich Gannon this off-season. The unreliable Gus Frerrote is just that, unreliable. He makes poor decisions. The pass defense is still shaky. Despite all that, they're sitting at .500. However, I don't see that lasting long considering the Packers are playing better now and the inconsistent Bears still could finish ahead of Minnesota.

Finally, Tom Cable. Enough said? Not quite. Jim Fassell has appeared in the discussion of the Oakland Raiders soon-to-be vacant head coaching spot. He says he wants to coach the Raiders and he once led his team to the Super Bowl, even though they lost, he has had success. James Lofton is another guy that I think will get a hard look just because Al Davis is in love with him. And of course, Al Davis is still there and he is still running the "hotel" as Mike Lombardi likes to call it.

Anyone else have any additions to the list?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

andy reid I'd be nervous about if he wasn't so buddy buddy with the owner, jeff laurie.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Man, you're quick.

I was really going to put Andy Reid there because of his downward spiral but I can't because of Jeffrey Laurie as you say.

4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    What about Herm Edwards Alen? Do you think he could be on the outs?

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he could be but I'm not sure he will. He's got a young team and they've been playing hard the last two or so weeks. Tyler Thigpen, a guy I really liked when he was picked up by the Chiefs off the Vikings PS, has made the throws and made plays. He's impressing. The problem in KC, IMO, is that they're way too young and the coaching isn't very good, and that falls on Herm Edwards. He doesn't have the guys believing him in the locker room and he's not a very good coach overall in my opinion. Do I see him gone at the end of the season? Possibly. Could I see him getting another year because of his team being so young? Yes.

njfinfan likes this.
  6. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    I've also heard good things about Thigpen. Thanks for your input.

alen1 likes this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think edwards will be given time.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We'll see. If he finishes the year off with his team playing hard like the last couple weeks, then I would have to agree with you.

I hope Vengeful Odin chimes in on this discussion as he's a Kansas resident I believe and I know he has had some thoughts on this topic before. I recall discussing Edwards' future with him.

9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Gary Kubiak of the Texans. Badly regressing team this year.

I think there could be some big time upheaval at the end of this season.

A guy I dont think will be canned but may retire however, would be Dungy. I think he has been seriously considering it the last few seasons. I wouldnt be shocked to see him pass on the mantle.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't know what to make of Kubiak, texan. He hasn't impressed this year but his franchise Quarterback hasn't been on the field that often either. Dunta Robinson missed a good part of the year, I'm not even sure he's played yet to be honest with you. In the draft, he hit on a franchise 'back in Slaton and drafted Jacoby Jones, a guy that I like. They got a franchise LT with Duane Brown. Honestly, I think they need to improve the interior of the offensive line and add some toughness along the defensive line. I would also think that the secondary could use a couple Safeties and a CB.

I like Kubiak for one more year in Houston but God knows I've been wrong before.

Good point on Dungy, I agree.

11. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They didnt have Robinson and Schaub for chunks of last year either and still finished 8-8. The whole point of this season was to make "the leap" and get a playoff spot. They havent even come close and have regressed badly. And just coaching wise (I watch them all the time being on local TV dammit) he hasnt really impressed me much. This is his what, 3rd season now and still excuses are pouring out about what is going wrong. The owner here in Houston is fairly patient, and he was very high on Kubiak when he brought him in, but the local fanbase is somewhat fairweather and are not high on him at all and getting sick of losing seasons.

alen1 likes this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true, Dunta did miss a godo portion of last year. However, Rosenfels brought energy to that team when he played well. There was a reason he had a market this off-season and it was because of that play. You have seen much more than me though so I'll take your word for it. :wink2:

13. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Oh, and Romeo Crennel. Hes like a much worse Andy Reid without any connections protecting his ***.

BTW, Rosenfels has been beyond terrible stepping in this year. Any market created has absolutely crashed. Frankly if Shaub isnt back they need to look at option C.

alen1 likes this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good call on Crennel man.

I believe they will look at 'option C'. Graham Harrell anyone?