1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My thoughts on being .500 at the bye week.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    1) Our record is a fair indication of how we've been playing. We've lost one game where we were outplayed, won a game we dominated and have been 50-50 in close games. If we'd gone 5-1 as some people have suggested we could with better kicking then our W-L record would have been smoke and mirrors. In Sparano's first year we went 5-0 in games decided by less than a touchdown which made people think the team was better than it really was.

2) Ryan Tannehill has been better than advertised. We still need to expect another 2 or 3 more 'rookie brain explosion' games from him before the end of the season though.

3) What I like most about Philbin has been the development of young players. Since JJ retired out coaching staff have always preferred the safe veteran and neglected training young players to be better.

4) Our depth is still a concern. Just look at what's happened to our running game with an injury to Reggie Bush or our WRs when Brian Hartline was out in the pre season. This is what makes me believe that we don't have the guns to be better than 8-8 or 9-7 this season.

dolfan7171 and rafael like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Long season though, have to see what shakes out in the final 10 games.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Amen. That right there is the biggest reason for our new direction. Even Tanny's play can be attributed to this some and his play is the other reason we are better.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    The record means nothing to me, honestly. This year what I am looking for is how the team progresses, how they play as a team, do they fight, do they never quit, do they fix mistakes. Points that indicate heart and coching. I believe the what we have seen is a team start to buy in, not just a fake believe cause its new, but is truly buying in and it was earned, through game play through seeing. It wasnt because of a big name, it wasnt based on what was done somewhere else, it is based on what is happening here. That bodes well for the future, it isnt a guarentee of future success but it something that if fostered correctly, that can be built on and can lead to very good things..

Pauly and GMJohnson like this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    excellent rebuilding year
    no complaints!:deadhorse:

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    We're close.

Fin D likes this.
  7. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Whilst I agree with what you say about the buy in I'll believe the buy in has happened in 2 years time if it is still there. People talked about buying into Sparano/Cameron/Saban systems.

Also agree that the record isn't as meaningful as creating a system that will lead to continuing success.