1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My take on the Phins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Roman529, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I haven't posted a thread in a while but I just wanted to add my two cent's worth. I am sure most Phin's fans are feeling a lot of agony and incredible disappointment from last week's loss to the Jets and this week's loss to the Cardinals.

We can always say we coulda/shoulda/oughta have won at least one of the games if not both of them. In both games we had the lead for most of the game and controlled things on both sides of the ball, but for whatever reason we could not put the other team away.

I think Miami gets ahead and then the play calling gets a little tentative, predictable and overly conservative. We get stuck on a couple of fourth and ones, and right away we kick it away. Experienced teams, like the Pats, call a Tom Brady QB keeper to pick up the first down and you can bet they almost always convert when they need to. I think the Phins don't yet have that killer instinct to put teams away...we play "not to lose" and that is how you end up losing close games.

I know some people will point the finger at Carpenter or Naanee for today's loss, but it never should have come down to this. The positives are we got to see what our new franchise QB is all about, and I think Tannehill is finally the franchise QB we have been looking for since Dan retired. Tannehill is not getting as many passes tipped or slapped down, and he is looking more confident every game. He will still make some mistakes and throw INT's and fumble it, but I think we drafted the right guy. I like his mobility, and ability to improvise. He also doesn't have much to work with besides Hartline and Bess. Imagine if he had the players on offense that Matt Ryan has in Atlanta.

The good news is we have five picks in the first three rounds of next year's draft. The only thing that worries me is we still have Ireland making our draft picks. Even Ireland shouldn't be able to mess things up, right? I think we should focus on getting a top #1 WR...a guy with great speed, size and hands, to complement Hartline and Bess. Then maybe we can add a solid TE, another pass rusher, a quality CB or Safety, and another O-lineman. I also could see us drafting a new FG kicker with a 7th round pick.

We could be 3-1 and in first place, but even though we are 1-3, if we win next week, we could possibly work our way back into first place. The Jets will likely lose to the Texans, and the Bills will likely lose to the Niners. The Pats have the Broncos at home, and if P. Manning plays like he did today, we could have four teams at 2-3.

The bottom line is we are seeing Tannehill getting better each week, and I would much rather have him as our QB than be stuck with the Jet's Dumb and Dumber (Sanchez and Tebow), or Fitzpatrick of the Bills, who can turn a 21-7 lead into a total blowout loss in one quarter. The future looks bright....we just have to be patient.

dolfan7171, djphinfan and Pandarilla like this.
  2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Ireland might be wise to grab his pass rusher 1st, then maybe even trade back into the first round for a WR. Heck, I don't care if he straight up trades picks for players. In fact, I would prefer we trade or grab a WR in free agency. As long as we add a really good WR and pass rusher. We may come out of next offseason with an upgrade at free safety. The draft seems to be top heavy with them this year. Kenny Phillips is also a free agent. It would be cool to have another U player on the roster.

As much as I am going to be annoyed by fans yelling "the Mingo stole your Q-bay", it feels like we are on a collision course with Barkevious Mingo out of LSU...

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Tannehill..Martin..Vernon..Miller..?.getting good production from four rookies..Ireland's draft is looking good at this point..

Time to get another rookie some playing time.

toto, dolfan7171 and xphinfanx like this.
  4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Ireland had nothing to do with picking those guys. I have read this forum therefore I'm no fool to think he was involved in anything worth a dam. Do your homework.

5. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Good post Roman. Really only 1 disagreement (if it even qualifies as that) is that I DO blame Nanee and Carpenter. Those 2 players are vets. They absolutely blew 2 Huge plays, and yes that FG no matter how much time is left, was huge!

Nanee should be cut, and I hope they bring in a kicker this week to compete for the job. Carpenter is on my sh*t list for costing us 2 games.

6. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah their mistakes were big. There is such a big difference if you can get up by 9 points, requiring the other team to score twice to get ahead, compared to only being up by 6 or 7 points. If I could bring in another kicker, I would go after Neil Rackers. I am sure the coaching staff will probably give "Goldilocks" Carpenter another chance. You can bet if Jerry Jones was controlling things, that Carpenter would be clearing out his locker this morning.

Mcduffie81 likes this.