1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Prediction on GM/Coaching

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Sep 28, 2011.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I've seen this pop up a couple of times in articles I've read and I think it could be quite telling, Stephen Ross seen talking with former Kansas City Chiefs GM, CEO, President Carl Peterson during last Sunday's game in Cleveland.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet Stephen Ross fires Jeff Ireland this offseason and brings in Carl Peterson as GM, Executive VP Football Ops. Now if that happens, that oculd actually be a GOOD thing. During Peterson's tenure in Kansas City, he accumulated such talent as Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Derrick Thomas (RIP), Neil Smith and of course, he did have Don Shula's choice as his successor, Marty Schottenheimer. Kansas City was quite competetiive during Peterson's tenure in Kansas City, although I do think think the Herm Edwards choice to succeed Vermeil was a bad decision.

Thoughts anyone? Valid possibility?

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Too early to tell TDK, if folks recall we started out 0-3 in 09 and wound winning 7 or 8 in a row, then lost to the Stealers at home dropping our record to 7-9 and out of the playoffs, but an improvement is not something that cannot possibly happen.

As for King Karl taking the reigns, I tend to doubt it as he is quite old now, and Ireland is his protege', if anything I'd expect a Sparano removal and Ireland/Peterson to interview potential candidates.

3. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not a big fan of Peterson. I hope that Ross doesn't make the mistake of giving the job to him, just because they are friends. Peterson appeared to be an excellent GM during his early years but the Chiefs were nothing but an average to bad team during his last ten years in Kansas City. I agree that Ireland needs to be replaced but there has to be better choices to replace him than Peterson.

Aquafin likes this.
  4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Ross might have to start flippen rocks over just like the coaches say they do looking for players.
    I just hope its not Peterson.

Aquafin likes this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think peterson will be consulted, so we may end up with someone he knows/ has worked with.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    We should be beyond 7-9 being an "improvement" at this point Pad. This regime is done and should have been gone during the off season. They got us some nice pieces but never put a complete team together. Good starting point for the next guys, but it's time.

7. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    No way do I want peterson making decisions for the franchise. He's a trade killer b/c he infamously haggles over late round picks. For instance, if he trades for a good player and has to give up a premium pick(which is standard) he demands the other team gives up a late pick as well. Thus putting the kibosh on the transaction.

Aquafin likes this.
  8. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    probably the most likely thing. Ross has been buds with Peterson for some time plus the handwriting is on the wall since the Harbaugh "failure". If a miracle doesn't happen, something will change.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think the only way Ireland leaves is if we only win about 4 games.

10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    having peterson hire the GM wouldnt be a bad thing i dont think.

11. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    He might be asking Peterson if he thinks Ireland is blowin' smoke up his skirt.

Love the emo-froggy, KM

12. Trillfan

Trillfan Banned

Sep 27, 2011
    Anything is possible but why not let the rest of the year play itself out? There will be plenty of time to speculate during the offseason.

13. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I am certainly no expert but someone from the GB regime would be a choice I could endorce. Just read an article on the B/R about how we should have had Thompson now in GB back in 04. Given the results GB has had via talent depth (so many injuries last yr) who could argue for a better current FO. How about one of TT's proteges?

gafinfan likes this.
  14. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I am certainly no expert but someone from the GB regime would be a choice I could endorce. Just read an article on the B/R about how we should have had Ted Thompson now in GB back in 04. Given the results GB has had via talent depth (so many injuries last yr) who could argue for a better current FO. How about one of TT's proteges?

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, Ireland has a history with Peterson which may explain why he's still here. CK mentioned Russ Ball from GB as GM, a choice I'd agree with. Peterson is getting up in the years and it would not surprise me one iota, but I'd bet Ross brings in Peterson as the Tuna figure to oversee football operations and it might be a good thing to at least stabilize this franchise as Peterson is a football guy. I'm not totally enamored with him as he was cantankerous as a negotiator with the Chiefs and lost some players from stubbornness, but that way, Ross could still keep Ireland as it seems he's developed a respect for Ireland... Just a thought...

I just don't think that Peterson would be brought in here as a replacement for Ireland, but that extra level we don't have now between Ross and Ireland...

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I see only two teams left on their schedule, The Chiefs, and the Broncos, which the Dolphins will be favored to beat. If they win these games, they might get lucky and win one or two more games, but that is about it.
    So the most I see them winning this season is four games. Bye Bye Ireland.

17. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Funny, when the Talking Heads all predicted that, we were all quick to claim they dont know what they dont know, etc.

sad, its turning out to be same ol same ol, they know more than we care to believe and accept. We are what they say we Are!:cry:

18. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Montanna, Allen and Smith were all washed up when Peterson signed them. Kind of like when Arizona signed Emmit Smith. All were washed up and over the hill so that is not a good example of a GM with the only intention being putting fannys in the seats by bringing in PAST greats.

19. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I thought we have had enough of "Has Beens" with Parcells? I didn't think Peterson was very well liked in Kansas City and that he left on bad terms?

20. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Ummm, don't mean to turn this into a "nut uh" back and forth, but when Carl Peterson signed both Marcus Allen and Joe Montana in 1993, the Chiefs won the AFC West with a regular season 11-5 record and lost to the Buffalo Bills in the AFC Championship game 30-13.

Marcus Allen that season rushed for 764 yards and 12 touchdowns, being named the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year. He wasn't washed up. He aned Al Davis with the LA Raiders never saw eye to eye and Allen was benched, remember?

Montana played well enough to be elected to the Pro Bowl that season.

Washed up?

21. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Yep and thats the last year either of them did anything of importance.

22. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

To answer your question I'll repeat what I posted elsewhere. No I don't think Ross will hire Carl. Why? They are business partners already thus Ross hiring him would be a BAD move on both their parts, I think they both are to smart to chance breaking up their long standing friendship!

Do I think Carl will offer up several names, of course, but thats as far as I see this going. And really to remain a trusted friend I think Ross will see it that way too. jm2c

As for who Ross hires I hope its an outside the box kind of guy! I also have to say Carl also has a history with Russ Ball and after all the leaks coming from his own FO suggesting that he's causing his teams demise why would any here think Ireland has any better chance of survival than Sparano?

I say fire them all!

23. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    You might want to look back at some stats from 94, and for marcus allen. Because you're wrong.

24. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    here is a name who has been forgotten I aways like Steve Mariuchi (spelling) I think he had a good record in san fran but I am not sure how many playoffs he won

here is some more names

Butch Davis : more of a college coach but can he learn from his mistakes?

Steve Mariuchi he is a classy dude and players respected him

Mike Shula I doubt he is ready but he could darn well help Henne .

Mike Martz I understand fin fans are not cray about him but he has been sucessfull in the playoffs , if i recall .

25. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Tell you what, I saw elsewhere about a "coaching tree" in one of these threads and since folks are randmly picking names out of a hat, let me provide this so folks have something to look at.

[​IMG]

All of these coaches, past or present belong to the Paul Brown Coaching tree and you can see who directly or indirectly influenced them. At least if nothing else, you can trace their "pedigree".

Now I understand why Parcells had an interest in coming to Miami...he was a student of Ray Perkins, an assistant under Don Shula.

26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Bill Obrien....

Many advantages of having him as a hc, also he obviously is an aggressive playcaller.

27. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    My prediction: clean house. And hire Bob Ryan or someone who WANTS to be a head coach of an NFL team.