1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So yeah, here's my thinking for the offseason (draft included).

FA's:
    Logan Mankins
    Santonio Holmes
    DeAngelo Williams
    Marcedes Lewis
    Carl Nicks

Re-Sign:
    Ronnie Brown
    Tony McDaniel
    Paul Soliai
    Richy Incognito
    Lydon Murtha

Draft:
    1. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    3. Ryan Bartholomew, C, Syracuse
    4. Rob Housler, TE, Florida Atlantic
    5. Mario Addison, DE/OLB, Troy
    6. Derrick Locke, RB, KY
    7. Andre Holmes, WR, Hillsdale
    7. Jeff Van Camp, QB FAU.

Thoughts?

Pandarilla and PSG like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Salary Cap?

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Madden '12?

princekong2, CaribPhin and Stitches like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    wake up silerphin...wake up....lol

You cant sign all those free agents and our own free agents...

5. bamadolphin

bamadolphin New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    i swear if i read one more time the dolphins should draft that cam newton im gonna puke. he cant read defenses and is not very accurate.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't see Locke lasting to the 6th round.

7. uab_phin

uab_phin New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    We should draft cam newton...... did it happen?

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You'd probably have to cheat to do it on that, too.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  9. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Last year, the top 5 most accurate quarterbacks were as follows:
    (the accompanying number in parentheses was their completion percentage for their college careers)

1) Drew Brees (60.5%)
    2) Peyton Manning (62.9%)
    3) Philip Rivers (63.5%)
    4) Tom Brady (62.3%)
    5) Aaron Rodgers (63.8%)

Cam Newton (65.4%)

As I'm sure you know, Newton also had one of the highest passer ratings in NCAA history. I'm sure that qualifies neither for being accurate nor being able to read defenses for you, but take it for what you will... Oh and he also had 50 touchdowns last year between his 2800 passing yards and 1400 rush yards...

texanphinatic likes this.
  10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    A. Cam's not going to be a running back in the NFL so those 1400 yards & 20 TDs rushing dont really mean much.
    B. College completion % isn't comparable to NFL completion %.
    C. College passer rating doesn't equate to NFL success.

I have a QB example who's in the NFL. Here are his senior stats:
    2976 yards... 68.3%... 9.92 Avg... 42 TDs.... 1 INT.... 197 QB Rating. (Josh Johnson)

There are PLENTY of QBs with as good or better college passing stats who did nothing in the NFL...... and some of those were drafted higher than Cam will go. Take it for what it's worth. (Also, I always hear so much about his "talent"...... but how about the other half of the equation that's equally as important?--- Intelligence, maturity, football smarts, common sense, ability to process quickly and accurately? Anyone care to advocate that aspect of his game?)

LOL @ people who complain about Henne taking too long to develop yet wants us to draft Newton who will take even longer to learn the NFL and become a successful QB (if ever). Our QB situation will become a sore thumb for another 3 years if Cam is the QB. Anyone want to wait around for that?...... or would you prefer to hold out for a "franchise hopeful" QB who will contribute quicker b/c there should be at least 3 guys next year who qualify.

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

A. The guy is 6'5 and runs a 4.5 40. In the NFL, his running ability is going to be utilized, just as it is with Michael Vick, Josh Freeman and Aaron Rodgers. Whether it be design QB runs or extending plays, it's going to be utilized and it's undoubtedly very valuable. Look at both quarterbacks in the superbowl; mobile.

B. It IS comparable. Are both statistics not a record of the completed passes/attempted passes*100? Does this not represent how often a quarterback is able to connect with his receivers? Sure, he ran a spread offense, but you can't simply throw out the completion percentage as being irrelevant because he wasn't facing an NFL defense--he had a college offensive line and college receivers too, ya know.

C. I never said it did, I simply pointed out the fact that Newton had a very successful career in what is debatably the best division in the NCAA, which is a perfect segue into my next point:

Which division did Josh Johnson play in again? Who did he beat? If he was any sort of a prospect, don't you think he would've been drafted before the 5th round? Come on, now.

There are scouts being paid more than everyone in this thread makes put together to evaluate Cam as a person/athlete and they're all saying he's a 1st round prospect.

Sure, there's a chance to bust, but I like these odds.

And for the record, you'll find me on Padre's Carson Palmer bandwagon before you find me supporting Henne. It's not a matter of development, it's a matter of inaccuracy and immobility. A poor man's Byron Leftwich and a fine backup.

djphinfan and texanphinatic like this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

My Offseason:

Become God.

Release Aaron Rodgers from the Packers. Sign him immediately. Create-a-player with all 99's at the WR position. Restore Barry Sanders to his former ability and sign him to the Dolphins. Go into the options menu (God has one) and remove salary cap. Sign Vincent Jackson. Release DeSean Jackson from the Eagles, sign him. Trade Brandon Marshall for Andre Johnson straight up. Release Brandon Marshall and sign him to the Dolphins. Create a new Dan Marino with the memories and skills of the old Dan Marino only he's 15. Sign him. BOOM, QB of the future. Hi-5 myself. Rest, because obviously a spiritual manifestation of all power in existence needs to rest when he says some things into existence.

I think mine is a bit more realistic.

13. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Do you know how many planets would need to align for us to be able to sign even two of thos FA's, never mind all five. Pigs would fly in a frozen hell before the Dolphins could sign all those FA's.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So what you're saying is we should draft him as a TE? :shifty: Again, he's a QB, not a WR, RB, CB, S, or TE. His forty time means little unless he has a complete game to go along with it....... or unless you think it's important for his feet to make up for the "potential" shortcomings of his brain. lol.

Scouts? 1st round prospect? You interpret him being a mid 1st rounder as a good thing. There's a reason he might make it to the mid first round or later. If Cam didn't have a high bust potential, he'd be be regarded as the unanimous #1 pick right now even if Luck were in the draft. He has as great a chance of busting as he does succeeding, which is why many teams (who have scouts I might add) will be too apprehensive to take Cam despite his talent level.

If college completion % mattered as much as your making it out to seem, then the NFL would be full of great passers. Completion % in the pros has as much to do with brains as it does natural ability, where as in college it can be derived from talent alone. How's his completion % gonna be "if" QB play at an NFL level is too complex for him?

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Without getting into a circular argument, the only points left to be made are: Not all successful QBs were drafted 1st overall and that 50% of QBs are going to bust no matter where you draft them. Cam Newton has the size and ability to be successful and his college performance in no way validates your grudge against him, wherein you feel he's some sort of incompetent deadbeat.

Success in college doesn't necessarily translate into success in the NFL, but it certainly does correlate. I'm done here.

If you need a shoulder to cry on when we draft Cam, I'm here for you :)

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Its my concern..everytime I see this cat speak, he puts his foot in his mouth....I dont use this word, really ever, but from what ive seen in studying the player,.....lets just say, not...very...smart..

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I respect points being made by both TP and Hurricane..

Iam drooling over the athleticism and how I want an offense that has athleticism like that at that position...were not privy to that sit down interview though..makes it tough to project.

18. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    You had me at "Become God"...

CaribPhin likes this.
  19. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Heyy Lets Add Ed Reed And Troy Polamalu To Our Secondary While Were At It :D, Get Mangold, And Mankins and POW we have a ProBo-err I Mean Superbowl Team :D