1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Early Mock - Top 10

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by New Era, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Here is my mock draft version 1.0.

1) Dolphins: Chris Long
    - Miami could not stop the run last season if their jobs depended on it. As it turns out it did and most Coaching Staff & Players will be gone for the up-coming season. Chris Long can play DE or OLB in Miami's new defensive scheme. His motor does not quit and he has been working hard his whole life for the NFL. He is a QB Threat on just about every passing down. If Miami chooses to hold on to JT, then Chris will have yet another HOF DE to learn from this season. If Miami can move JT for a late 1st or early 2nd, they will not be void of a game changing DE.

2) Rams: Glenn Dorsey
    - The Rams still have plenty of playmakers on Offense. Just like last season they will focus on the defense with their 1st round pick. Dorsey will make an impact from week one vs. the run. He will also help create some early errant throws by pressuring QB's all day long. The Rams defense will show up and create more turnovers next season. They have the offense to put up 21+ a game when healthy. They just need the defense to play a little bit better, before they can whiff the playoffs again.

3) Falcons: Darren McFadden
    - Jerry Jones will try and throw the vault at Blank to trade the pick. But the Falcons are not moving. They need a RB, QB, T, G, C, WR, WR, TE....so they start with the best player on the board at those positions. Matt Ryan is a stretch and the Falcons are still on the bitter side of wrong choices with QB's. But let's not forget that McFadden is one of the best players in the draft. He will help the QB of the future by ensuring that 8 men are in the box on a regular basis. He has the skills to be another A. Peterson and that is to hard to pass on.

4) Raiders: Sedrick Ellis
    Warren Sapp has sacked his last QB in the NFL. They will need to improve the DLINE from last season. They had issues stopping the run the entire season. They have some good talent on the defense and will need to really improve vs. the run to give their offense a chance to win the game. I think they will not let their shut down corner hit the market. They will want to keep a strong secondary and improve their DLINE to help out Russell next season.

5) Chiefs: Matt Ryan
    - They have a couple of decent QB's on the roster right now. They have a great running game if LJ has not gone soft from his new contract. They have a solid young WR in Bowe and need a QB for the future. Ryan will fill that role and help make the Chief's offense dangerous once again. He can be careless with the ball at times, by trying to do too much. He has the arm to make all the throws and the legs to create the extra second in the pocket if needed.

6) Jets: Brian Brohm
    - The Jets will ship Chad off to a new team. They have a decent looking young QB right now. But they will not pass on Brian and will allow him to challenge for the starting position. He has great accuracy in the pocket and has a really good arm to go along with it. He had a bit of a let down season, but looks forward to making an impact on the next level.

7) Pats: Vernon Ghoslton
    - Would you believe the best team in the NFL has a TOP 7 pick. You could if you have been following the NFL the past 5 years. The Pats always seem to get the break and make use of it. They will have a pass rushing DE & an OLB that can drop back into zone coverage all in one pick. He will wreak havoc on the AFC East for years to come. Teams will not know if he is rushing the QB or dropping back until it is tooooo late. Their defense is very complex and hard to read. When you add a playmaker like Ghoslton to it...you have a nightmare for AFC EAST TEAMS!!!

8) Ravens: Jake Long
    - The Ravens will be hurting once Ogden retires. They have used some good draft picks the past couple of seasons on the OLINE. They have been paying off and will continue with this pick. Jake lost some draft slots this past season, but the Ravens are happy he did. He will anchor the LT/RT spot for 7+ years and be a cornerstone on the OLINE. They have a young offense right now and will spending a couple more day one picks on it.

9) Bengals: James Laurinaitis
    - The Bengals have had some serious injuries last season at the LB position. They need more depth and better starters at several positions. They will move Chad Johnson for a Day One Pick and use that pick as well on the Defense. James will bring a motor and a shinny new boat to wear to help kick some butt's on defense. He has the talent to make an impact week 1 for the Bengals defense. But that is not saying much considering last season, they were pulling fans from the stands to play LB during the games.

10) Saints: Kenny Phillips
    - The Saints need to improve their defense and need to get some young talent with the energy to be on the field a lot with their high scoring offense. Kenny will cover the field and make big game changing plays during the season. He will stutter at first, but by seasons end he will have made a good solid start at what should be a very good NFL career.

....that is my Top 10 for right now.

So what do you think...:escape:

2. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I was with you until pick 5, then you completely missed IMO.

5 - Herm/Peterson said they're sticking with Croyle, though only they understand why. The pick would be Jake Long to get their running game going again.
    6 - They've already said they're bringing back Pennington and Clemens, the pick would be Gholston
    7 - Laurinaitis would go to the Pats - yikes, sucks to be in the AFC East
    8 - They'd go QB - Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm go here.
    9 - Keith Rivers is the LB here.
    10 - Saints need a corner in a major way, Jenkins from OSU goes here.

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Hope Chiefs or Jets take Ghoston if he makes it that far.....dont see why KC or Jets would take a QB in the 1st. Do not let the Pats get Gholston.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Doesnt matter who the Pats seem to pick tbh, they will get a player. Still, I think they trade down if they can, they looooove to stockpile.

Chiefs go OL for sure, they had the worst in the NFL this year. Jets might well go QB, Clemmes didnt impress and Pennington is done as a starter. Personally though, Im not sure how the Falcons pass on Ryan/Brohm. Jerrius Norwood is a solid runner for them, grab a power back later in the draft or FA and they wont "need" McFadden. You aint going anywhere without a QB though, just ask the Vikings.

5. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    5: That would be the popular pick for them. But with some good free agent OLINEMAN out there. I see them making sure if Croyle stumbles they still have an option to fall back on. Their Defense should play much better than they do...I just don't understand why they fail foward so fast. The OLINE has aged and retired, but still has some good core guys. LJ is that team on offense. He got his payday and then got injured. However, If he plays like the LJ with a chip on his shoulder. They will need a QB within 2 or 3 seasons, otherwise his work load may be his down fall. If Croyle had shown more, this would not even be an option. This draft allows them to choose from who they think the best QB is in the draft.

6: I do not think Pennington is coming back (Trade Bait). Clemens showed a little bit, then just went to hell. The Jets could go a number of ways with this pick. I could see them reaching for Laurinaitis here or just taking Gholston. But in the end I think they will take QB and trade away Pennington. If they trade Vilma, they better go with Gholston. Chances are I am wrong on 10 of 10...:lol:. But If I had the Jets...I would keep Vilma and draft QB.

7: Either way the Pats...trade down or draft any player in that slot. They will be the best player in the draft. They just have the luck of the Irish and the scouting departments that others try to sift through their trash at nights. It is gonna suck and we already know it.

8: They could go with QB, LB, WR, LT/RT... It depends on their new HC and system. If he likes T. Smith they might even pass if a Matt/Brian is available with the pick. Reed & Lewis pretty much run the team. Lewis may get his wish out of town. If so, they will need to get a solid LB. That defense can return to form of recent years. They have been getting some good young picks here of late. But if the new skipper feels the pressure to win now, while the defense can still be raised from the dead. Then he will want to fill the void left by Ogden.

9: If Laurinaitis and Gholston are gone. You could be dead on with that pick. Mainly b/c last season their popcorn boy was the leading tackler by the LB's. They will reach for a LB if they do not think they can land a solid prospect in the 2nd.

10: I think the Saints hit up Samuel or Trufant. Otherwise I would think corner would be the best option. Hell they may even take a corner and pick up a huge free agent corner to boot with it. That team needs corner's like we need a coaching staff.

I am sure that most picks, if not all are wrong. But that is pretty much how I could see it going down. Once teams get their coaching staffs & gm's in place this will change. Then the combine will make some soar & some fall from grace, only to be taken by the Pats in round 44 and turn into a Hall Of Fame Player. I don't hate the Pats from outside the glass. I think it's great for sports to have larger than life teams. But damn it's getting old with the calls, unbelievable gameplans, team 1st...crap. But that is coming from a fan of a team that has not followed through with a business plan for success, in the same division as the damn PATS!!!

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    A first round QB, especially top 10 QBs, are not drafted to be there "in case someone falters." They are drafted to be the starter, either because you dont have a good QB or have an aging QB. If they decide Croyle is it, though, could easily be a QB.
    And after the success of Joe Thomas, I see this as benefitting Jake Long here. Chiefs can spend FA money on other OL spots.

But yeah, FA will begin to really determine where players might start landing, cant wait :thumbup:

7. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Norwood has a nice upside. He was not able to secure the job away from Dunn. His 6.0 yards per carry is misleading. Most of his big plays came on long 3rd downs and plays where they caught the defense off guard, when they should have been throwing b/c they were down by 100 in the 1st quarter. But in the end he is pale in comparison to McFadden.

The Chiefs will need better Oline play if LJ has a chance to return to form again. But as I stated earlier they will secure vets and then use other rounds to secure depth. They will need to have a capable QB starter in place within 3 seasons. Otherwise LJ could be on his last good toe by then...

8. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    You are right about the QB. I just think they will allow a Rookie 1st round pick to sit a season, if need be... Sure if he is ready then he plays. But if they have a doubt that Croyle is gonna be the man for sure. I think they bring in a Rookie to push him for the starting job.

I am also excited about the up-coming free agents. Miami has some money and plenty of holes.:ffic::hi5: