1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 1st round mock w/ Dolphins full mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by sports24/7, Mar 3, 2009.

1. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't claim to be any kind of draft guru, just someone who loves the draft. That being said here you go.

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia-

The new theory is that the Lions may go with one of the OT’s or Aaron Curry which would be the safe bet for a team that needs to hit on this pick. The Dolphins went for the safe pick last year and it worked out great. In a copy cat league the Lions could look at that and use it as a guideline. The problem is none of the tackles in this class grade out as high as Long did and you’re going to have to make him the highest paid lineman in the league. The only position that really warrants spending that kind of money is QB. The question then becomes is there a QB worth taking with this pick. I think ultimately they decide Stafford is worth it. He has a laser for a right arm, good size, and nice athleticism. I think the Lions take him and hope they finally have a franchise QB. They key will be not being tempted to start him right away because of the success of Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco last season. The Lions will not have the same kind of talent around him that those two did.
    2. St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor-
    It was no secret that the Rams were hoping to get Jake Long last year. With Orlando Pace’s injury history and age the Rams are in need of a franchise LT. Jason Smith is a former TE and has the athletic ability to be a very good LT in this league. They could go with Eugene Monroe here, who may be a slightly safer pick, but Smith has the higher upside and I think they opt to go in that direction.
    3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forrest-
    There’s no debate about whether they go QB here now that they traded for Matt Cassel. That gives them options with this pick and allows them to take possibly the best player in the draft. Curry brings everything you look for in a linebacker and has the ability to play multiple positions as a linebacker, which is something Scott Pioli liked at New England and will surely look for in KC.
    4. Seattle Seahawks: BJ Raji, DT, Boston College-
    A few days ago the easy choice here was Michael Crabtree. The Seahawks have been in search of a playmaker at WR (who can actually catch the ball) for a while now. However they gave a lot of money to TJ Houshmandzadeh, and while he may not necessarily be a big time playmaker, he is a heck of a possession WR and will probably keep them from spending a high pick on a WR. Because of that I think they go with Raji. No one made more money for himself than Raji did at the Senior Bowl dominating in practices against some very good center prospects. Raji should really solidify the middle of a Seattle line in need of a player like him. Another option could be Eugene Monroe.
    5. Cleveland Browns: Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas-
    Out of all the conversion linebackers in this draft, and there are some good ones, Orakpo seems to be at the top of the list. He’s big, strong, and athletic and should be able to make the transition smoothly. He has big upside and to me looks like a DeMarcus Ware clone.
    6. Cincinnati Bengals: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia-
    Personally I think they would like Raji to fall here as they really wanted Dorsey or Ellis last year and missed out on both. Instead they settle for a very nice consolation prize in Eugene Monroe. Monroe gives them a franchise LT, and that’s something every team would like to have. They could also look at Crabtree here after losing Houshmandzadeh, and possibly trading Chad Johnson, but the best way to rebuild a team is not at WR, it’s at LT. Just ask the Lions.
    7. Oakland Raiders: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech-

And Al Davis brings his ancient self to do backflips as this stud WR falls into his lap. He may not have the elite top end speed Davis covets, but the rest of his repertoire more than makes up for it. I think this pick is a WR either way though. If somehow Crabtree doesn’t fall here, or there is some sort of setback with his injury then I think Maclin becomes the guy.
    8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri-
    The Jags would probably love for one of the top OT’s to fall here, but in this scenario they don’t and I think it would be a reach for them to take Andre Smith or Michael Oher this early. Maclin has elite speed and decent size and gives the Jaguars the playmaking WR they have coveted despite failing on Williams, Jones, and the FA signing of Porter. He also gives them return ability.
    9. Green Bay Packers: Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State-
    The Packers are in need of pass rushers and Brown is probably the best one remaining. With the Pack switching to a 3-4 Brown would have to move to OLB, and there is some worry about whether he’ll be able to make the transition. The Packers would be banking on the probability that he can. They could go with Aaron Maybin here, but despite his huge upside there are serious question marks about his size and limited experience which make it tough to take him ahead of Brown.
    10. San Francisco 49ers: Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn St.-
    This could go in a number of ways. I would love to put Mark Sanchez here, but I just don’t get the feeling their all that interested in drafting him here. Right now it looks like they’d prefer to sign Kurt Warner. That leaves a pass rusher like Maybin, or an offensive lineman like Andre Smith or Michael Oher. I’m just not sold on either as a definite franchise LT and I’m not sure SF will be either which leaves Maybin. As I mentioned previously Maybe has huge upside. He may end up being the best pass rusher in the draft, but he definitely has his question marks. If he pans out he gives the Niners a heck of a young LB corps.
    11. Buffalo Bills: Brian Cushing, LB, USC-
    The easy choice here would be Brandon Pettigrew, but it doesn’t seem like the Bills are willing to take him this early. With the Bills losing Crowell, Cushing seems like a good fit. He could play inside or outside and if his injury history is behind him, he could be a heck of a player.
    12. Denver Broncos: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC-
    The Broncos can use all the help they can get on defense and adding a guy like Maualuga could be a huge help. He could come in and be a defensive leader on a defense in need of that. He’d also look pretty good next to D.J. Williams.
    13. Washington Redskins: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama-
    Well, with the money Snyder has spent in FA you know the Skins probably won’t go DT or CB with this pick. Snyder likes to take risks and this would be one of those times with a guy like Smith. No one is doubting his talents, but he is overweight, and seemingly has character issues. He may never be a true LT, but if not he could be a heck of a RT, or a dominant guard.
    14. New Orleans Saints: Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.-
    Much was made about Jenkins’ 40 time at the combine and it could very well drop him a little bit. If he runs well at his pro day however, he may not even sniff this part of the round as he could go much higher. Some speculate he’ll have to move to safety, but I still think he can be a good corner and that is something the Saints need.
    15. Houston Texans: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois-
    The Texans solidified their defensive line by signing Antonio Smith. They franchised Dunta Robinson, but could probably use a good corner on the other side bringing Davis into the equation. He would give this team on the rise a nice pair of corners to help against the likes of Peyton Manning.
    16. San Diego Chargers: Knowshon Moreno, HB, Georgia-
    Even though the Chargers made the playoffs they are coming off of a disappointing season where they vastly underachieved partly due to injury. The big dilemma is what’s going to happen with LT. Was he hurt, or is he in a decline? I get the sense the Chargers are not all that optimistic about him and would like to bring someone else in. They also franchised Darren Sproles, but he is not an every down back. If in fact they decide to go HB, the decision them becomes is it Wells or Moreno? Most people have Moreno ranked higher, but personally I think Wells is the better player. But in trying to project what these teams will do I’ll go with the player who is thought to be rated higher In Moreno. He should be a nice compliment to Sproles. Another name to consider is DE Tyson Jackson.
    17. New York Jets: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU-
    Many people would say the logical choice here is the falling Mark Sanchez and that’s certainly a possibility. The thing is, the Jets have loaded up on veterans last off season and this one, leading me to believe they can’t wait for a guy like Sanchez to develop, and rushing a underclassman QB into service with only one year of starting experience too early could be a huge mistake. I think they instead continue to stack that defense adding a player like Jackson who could contribute right away.
    18. Chicago Bears: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC-
    This pick could go a few different ways. They could go with one of the playmaking WR’s, they could go with a highly talented pass rusher in Larry English, or they can go QB. I think Sanchez is too good to pass up at this point and if he does indeed fall this far, someone could definitely trade up to get him. Orton had his moments, but I’m not sure anyone sees him as the long term answer at QB in Chicago. I really like Sanchez. I think he’s got a nice arm, nice athleticism, a nice release, and most importantly great intangibles. If the Bears draft him and let him sit for a year or two, they will have a heck of a QB on their hands.
    19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas St.-
    The Bucs could look at a HB here like Wells, or a WR, but I think they hope they found the next Joe Flacco and take Josh Freeman. Let’s face it, Luke McCown is not going to get it done. Freeman is often compared to Flacco because of his size and arm strength. He also moves around pretty well for a player his size. Another option could be a DT like Peria Jerry.
    20. Detroit Lions (from DAL)- Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss-
    If the Lions feel Oher can play LT, this would be the perfect situation for them. They get the QB with their first pick and the LT with their second. Oher has the ability to be a good player, but the question is can he play LT? We will see.
    21. Philadelphia Eagles- Beanie Wells, HB, Ohio St.-
    It’s no secret that the Eagles love to pass the ball. Unfortunately they won’t win any Championships that way. As it stands now they don’t have anyone that can pound it in the middle and because of that, they have their struggles in the red zone. That’s where Beanie Wells comes in. He’s a perfect compliment to Westbrook and would be a great fit if he is on the board for this pick. If the Eagles don’t make a move for a veteran WR, that could be something they look at also, but to me they need to get someone like Wells, and with a not very deep HB class, this is their best option.
    22. Minnesota Vikings: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona-
    Some would like to see a QB here, but with the top 3 off the board and Nate Davis being a reach this early they might have to rely on newly acquired Sage Rosenfels to be the answer for now. Some also have the Vikings taking a WR here, but with Berrian having a nice first year in Minny and Sidney Rice coming along, and the lack of a real QB on the roster, I think they go elsewhere. Their strength is their running game so why not help to make it even better by adding a very good, very underrated Eben Britton. Britton could immediately play RT and could eventually replace Bryant McKinnie on the left side.
    23. New England Patriots: Clay Matthews, LB, USC-
    This could easily be ultra talented Larry English, but Matthews just strikes me as a Patriots guy. He big, strong, fast, and most importantly to the Pats, he’s versatile. He could play inside, or he could just as easily slide into Mike Vrabel’s position at SOLB. He also has the bloodlines, which is something I think they will take as a positive.
    24. Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St.-
    What do you get the young star QB who seems to have it all? How about an ultra talented safety valve? Pettigrew could be a steal at this point in the draft and would help to make Matt Ryan and that Falcons offense even more talented. He can block, he can catch, and don’t let his 40 time fool you. He will be a threat in the passing game.
    25. Miami Dolphins: Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC-
    If the draft plays out this way it will be an extremely tough decision for the Dolphins. You would have to think they would be deciding between a desperately needed corner, a pass rushing stud in Larry English, or one of the three remaining 1st round caliber WR’s. I went with Nicks. I think he fits the type of WR the Dolphins desperately need. A WR with some size that gives them both a target in the red zone as well as a playmaking ability with the ball in his hands. I think the Dolphins will be able to get a top flight CB with their pick at 44, and while there will be some talent at WR at that pick like a Brian Robiskie, I think the dropoff is greater at WR than it is at corner where someone like a Darrius Butler or DJ Moore could be there. I say when it’s all said and done, Nicks ends up being the second best WR in this class.
    26. Baltimore Ravens: Sean Smith, CB, Utah-
    The Ravens greatest needs are at WR and CB, and while a guy like Darrius Heyward-Bey would be very tempting to maximize the arm strength of Flacco, I think the greater need is at CB where the Ravens cut aging vet Chris McAllister, lost Corey Ivy, and still might cut Samari Rolle (if not, he still isn’t the player he used to be). So I have them taking a guy who like McAllister is a big CB in Sean Smith. Smith was one of the few corners that actually helped himself at the combine and probably moved himself ahead of Alphonso Smith and DJ Moore. They also could look at a guy like James Laurinaitis to replace the two ILB’s they lost in FA.
    27. Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss-
    If Jerry is there he seems like the perfect fit with the gaping hole at DT. Jerry is another player that helped his stock at the Senior Bowl and now seems like he will be a 1st rounder. He could even very well be gone by this pick. If so the Colts could look at a WR like Heyward-Bey or Percy Harvin to fill the spot left by Marvin Harrison, or they could look to one of the remaining CB’s.
    28. Philadelphia Eagles: William Beatty, OT, UConn-
    The Eagles need help at tackle and the quickly rising William Beatty could fill that need. Adding him along with Wells could really help to get their running game on track and allow for a more balanced offense.
    29. New York Giants: James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio St.-
    I’m sure the Giants would love it if Hakeem Nicks fell here as he would be a perfect replacement for Plaxico Burress, and they could consider someone like Darrius Heyward-Bey, but Heyward-Bey is very raw and I’m not sure the Giants want to wait around for him to develop. More likely they’ll take a flyer on the free falling James Laurinaitis. Once thought to be a top 10 pick, Laurinaitis did not have the senior year scouts were looking for and thus he finds himself at the bottom of the round. The Kiwanuka at MLB experiment should be over and he can go back to his natural spot on the line.
    30. Tennessee Titans: Darrius Hayward-Bey, WR, Maryland-
    The Titans have long been missing a playmaker at WR and Hayward-Bey would seem like a perfect fit for what they’re looking for. He’s very raw, but he gives them a legit deep threat as well as run after the catch ability. They could look at Harvin here as well, but I think he does some of the same things that Chris Johnson gives you in the short passing game.
    31. Arizona Cardinals: Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois-
    The Cardinals could have the steal of the first round on their hands if English falls here. The Cardinals lost Antonio Smith and English could step in to a starting end spot. English has the ability to be a dominant pass rusher which could really help that Cardinals defense and give them a nice inside-outside combo with Dockett.
    32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alex Mack, C, Cal-
    Mack to the Steelers seems like a perfect match. He could provide a great inside presence on their line and would help against the likes of Haloti Ngata and Shaun Rogers (assuming he patches things up in Cleveland). They could also look for a CB to replace McFadden.

Dolphins Draft:

Ironically I believe Boomer has said the Dolphins have met with all of these players with the possible exceptions of Jean-Francois and Toler. The funny thing is I wrote this up last night and didn't even know we had met with Kruger or Butler. Anyway, here you go.

1. Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
    2a. Darius Butler, CB, UConn
    2b. Paul Kruger, DE/OLB, Utah-
    (If Barwin is here I think he’s a lock. I don’t know that I see him falling this far though. )
    3. Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan
    4. Ricky Jean-Francois, DE, LSU
    5. Cornelius Lewis, OT/OG, Tennessee St.
    7a. Tyrell Sutton, HB, Northwestern
    7b. Taurus Johnson, WR, USF
    7c. Gregory Toler, CB, St. Paul’s

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I really dont think we take a WR with our first, but I would not at all be upset with Nicks. I like our first 4 that you have us getting.

I believe the Jags/Pack/9ers picks will really throw the draft into shape, lots of ways any of those 3 teams could go.

3. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    My whole thing is this. If you want a WR on day one, the value is in the 1st round. You can probably get a polished, good #2 type in Robiskie at 44, or a guy like Iglesias at 56. But if you want a guy with the potential to be a #1 with playmaking ability, you probably need to take one in the 1st. The same can't be said about corner, which IMO is the other spot they could go. You're getting great value in the 2nd round at that position where some very good players will probably be. If they see OLB as the major need, then that might be a different story because the dropoff from English (if he's there) to the guys at 44 could be similar to the dropoff at WR.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Disagree with that statement. Value is in round 2 for WR. There's a reason why WR have fell from their projected 1st round positions during the last few years.

I'd rather go OLB in round 1 personally.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Larry Hughes? Don't you mean Larry English. Anyway, Like the draft. But I'd rather draft an OLB like Clint Sintim or Larry English.

6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm guessing Butler does not make it to the 44th pick. By the time all is said and done, he's possibly the 3rd CB to go.

I'd try to take another corner in the 4th rather than Jean-Francois.

7. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Haha, yeah I meant English. For some reason I keep wanting to call him Larry Hughes (a mix between Larry English and Jerry Hughes).

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Ha! You're the only other guy I've seen with T. Taylor in their mock. He's in mine as well. In mine I have us taking him later. I haven't heard much about what round people are projecting him in to be selected. I haven't heard much buzz about him at all, but I've seen quite a bit of him and I just think he has a style that will translate well to the pros. I would love to get him, but, like I said, I would love to get him in the later rounds, but.....

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry, I think there is about zero chance we go WR first round..and if Laurenitius, English, Sean Smith AND Alex Mack are all still on the block, there is less than a zero chance we go WR.. JMHO

Josh Freeman is a very very interesting prospect for sure. Dont see him going first round, but much stranger things have happened for sure.

Sceeto likes this.
  10. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, this is a very deep WR class and there should be some good ones to be had later than our 1st. pick. Personally, I want K. britt with our 2a, but I'm not sure he'll drop that far. His numbers at the combine were not mind blowing or anything, which I feared would shoot him up the boards, but as I see it now, there might be a chance. There should be some other good ones to be had later as well. R. Barden is an intriguing prospect, etc, but I agree definitely not with our first. OLB/pass-rusher with the 1st, Wooo!!!!

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't see the Dolphins taking Mack or Laurenitius at this point with their offseason moves. Maybe if the Burnett rumors are false then they would consider an ILB, but assuming that deal gets done I don't know that I see them placing a high priority on that position.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  12. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, actually with the Grove signing, I obviously had a brain-fart on Mack.

I will believe the Burnett signing when I see it (Refer to the L- Coles signing thread :pity:)

I wouldnt mind us going with a nice WR, but I seriously doubt our guys go for one in the first.

I do agree that Britt or Nicks are worthy of the pick, just dont it see our guys doing it.

I could see them going after Hayward-Bey with the 2b or perhaps 3 depending....if he was still there that is.

13. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No way. DHB likely won't even be there at 2A, and maybe not even #25.

14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Perhaps not, and I could see him going 1st round, but I also seem to remember SEVERAL sure fire first round WR's going late into the second and third rounds the last couple of years.

15. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Even without the Burnett signing I'm not sure ILB is high on the list with the deal to Crowder. As far as Nicks goes, history does not bode well for going WR early, but I get the feeling Nicks is someone they would be interested. There also seems to be some evidence toward them considering it. Drew Rosenhaus is convince that is where they are going and I believe Mike Lombardi said he thought they'd go WR early as well.

16. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

DHB is the one guy I most want to stay away from. >> IMO << he has Ted Ginn Jr written all over him. Great athlete, so-so football player.

17. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Dude, Can we let TGJ play his third season before we judge him?

18. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I really like Taylor, he seems like he would be an ideal NT for us, I wonder if we might snag him at 2b. A bit of a down year, but hes got talent and ability. If the staff think they can bring it out he could be a great replacement for Fergy with Solai providing depth.

19. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, Butler might be wishful thinking, but he would be huge at 44. If he's not there I'm still convinced another good one will be. I really like Taylor to the Dolphins, and was going back and forth on which round to put him in. It seems like he's kind of hard to gauge right now. I have seen him going much later than that in some mocks, but at the same time it seems like he is one of the few true NT's in the draft.

I definitely agree on the Nicks/Smith/English thing, although I am developing a huge man crush on Hakeem Nicks and would be a little disappointed if we didn't get him. I mean, just look at him in the video below. But landing one of the other two would definitely still make me happy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWakmo3_m2s&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - WR Hakeem Nicks Highlights North Carolina 2008[/ame]