Multiple players requested a trade after loss
47 replies
B2K4H-OHVYo
Per profootballtalk
Trade them all. Start over like an expansion team.
Depends on the compensation.
But most will get over it, especially if you choose the right QB to lead the team in 2020.
I get we are bad, but we've been 1-15 before. There have been a pair of 0-16 teams. The Browns didnt win a game for like 8 years yet were all the hype this offseason.
Funniest comment on that post was “the damn dolphin logo called his agent too I see”
"Vertical Limit wrote:
Funniest comment on that post was “the damn dolphin logo called his agent too I see”
I hope the new logo did. Lol
I dont blame them. Quite frankly as a fan, I'm offended with what they've done. I get it, it needs to be done, but the way theyve gone about it is quite embarrassing. When you add 14 new players to your roster before week 1, it's pretty damn clear what's going on. If you look at alot of comments from fans out there, Miami, or football fans in general, its not positive. Nor should it be, but it's almost as if its to the point where the franchise is going to be struggling for fan support in general. Maybe drafting a QB at #1 will help that, but I dont think it's going to be enough. This group in charge is likely to screw it up.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
Bad days happen the Browns just got beat by 30 at home and were picked to win the Super Bowl. Im thinking more is going on here and the coaching staff is not being honest with the players. Everyone knew this was going to happen not sure why they are so surprised.
I'm guessing it was Reshad Jones, Kenyan Drake, and Bobby McCain. Just a feeling it was those guys.
"brandon27 wrote:
I dont blame them. Quite frankly as a fan, I'm offended with what they've done. I get it, it needs to be done, but the way theyve gone about it is quite embarrassing. When you add 14 new players to your roster before week 1, it's pretty damn clear what's going on. If you look at alot of comments from fans out there, Miami, or football fans in general, its not positive. Nor should it be, but it's almost as if its to the point where the franchise is going to be struggling for fan support in general. Maybe drafting a QB at #1 will help that, but I dont think it's going to be enough. This group in charge is likely to screw it up.
I completely agree- there's a difference between being a bad team and a roster that's built to absolutely suck. If I were the league commissioner, I'd personally ban Grier from the NFL and take the franchise from Ross.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
I'm guessing it was Reshad Jones, Kenyan Drake, and Bobby McCain. Just a feeling it was those guys.
I'd honestly be amazed if Fitzpatrick didn't ask to go elsewhere. There's just no excuse to ask him to work that hard and risk his career to be replaced by Rosen or a draft pick no matter what. The whole thing is F'd up.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
I completely agree- there's a difference between being a bad team and a roster that's built to absolutely suck. If I were the league commissioner, I'd personally ban Grier from the NFL and take the franchise from Ross.
That's an insane overreaction dude. There are literal criminals at the top of NFL franchises and you want to ban people because they are trying to suck for a year in an era when that strategy has proven successful in multiple other sports?
Armando Salguero says several players are angry with Brian Flores...
"KeyFin wrote:
I completely agree- there's a difference between being a bad team and a roster that's built to absolutely suck. If I were the league commissioner, I'd personally ban Grier from the NFL and take the franchise from Ross.
I'm not sure I'd go that far... but if I'm Godell, I'd seriously be considering an option to take a pick away if it was within the rules to do so. It's embarassing to the players, the team, the fans, and "the shield".
As a fan... I guess I'm ok with it, if it works in the end, and it's technically within the rules. I don't like it though.
I hate it in hockey too.. trade deadline rolls around, teams unload their rosters to try and suck to get that #1 pick. What did the NHL and techinically NBA do to prevent that? Draft lottery. You're not guaranteed that #1 pick anymore.
That's whats likely going to happen to the NFL as a result, and honestly, I hope it does. Tanking and doing this stuff is a side effect of the salary cap IMO, so I get it, it's a necessary evil, but at the end of the day for the sake of the integrity of the games, it has to stop IMO. I hated it when Indy did it, and after today, I'm not feeling so hot about how we're going about it too. At least in the NHL it's not so bad, it doesn't happen until there's only a month or so left in the season. We're about to see this for the ENTIRE season. To me... that's not right. Hopefully as a fan, I'll benefit from it long term, but it's not right.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
"Dolphin Dundee wrote:
Bad days happen the Browns just got beat by 30 at home and were picked to win the Super Bowl. Im thinking more is going on here and the coaching staff is not being honest with the players. Everyone knew this was going to happen not sure why they are so surprised.
Well, it could also be a douche like Florio, or some agents stirring the pot as well.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
Might as well trade them or cut them if they already quit after one game.
Nothing like players who want to take their balls and go "home" or where the grass is greener. #believeintheprocess

Minnesota Vikings Draft
23. Andrew Billings, DL, Baylor
54. Vonn Bell, DB, Ohio State
86. Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
121. Dominique Alexander, LB, Oklahoma
160. Spencer Drango, OL, Baylor
180. Moritz Boehringer, WR, Germany State
240. Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State
244. Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana
"schisno wrote:
Might as well trade them or cut them if they already quit after one game.
Nothing like players who want to take their balls and go "home" or where the grass is greener. #believeintheprocess
Oh come on, the front office and coaching staff quit on this season far before the players did. You had to know this was going to happen for the guys on the roster who believe they're "better than this". It's a cost of doing what we're doing. I don't fault those players one bit.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
To me after what we did the last week of preseason, what player would feel good about going through a full training camp just to get released for a guy that wasn’t there.. and every team does that, but not in the magnitude that we did. Literally 14 brand new players that never played a snap for the dolphins before, right before week 1..
That’s why I said this preseason wasn’t long enough, that’s why I said we aren’t ready.
"Vertical Limit wrote:
To me after what we did the last week of preseason, what player would feel good about going through a full training camp just to get released for a guy that wasn’t there.. and every team does that, but not in the magnitude that we did. Literally 14 brand new players that never played a snap for the dolphins before, right before week 1..
That’s why I said this preseason wasn’t long enough, that’s why I said we aren’t ready.
This is one of the most crazy experiences I have had as a Dolphin fan. Yes I am not as obsessed with knowing every little thing like I used to, however, this is the first time I didn't know who starters were. A. Moss?!?! I had to look him up like a preseason game.
This is also the first time I had no idea the starting lineup of the offensive, and it wasn't due to injury.
The Dolphins offensive line looked like a group of scrubs that were brought off the street, because for the most part, they were.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"schisno wrote:
Might as well trade them or cut them if they already quit after one game.
Nothing like players who want to take their balls and go "home" or where the grass is greener. #believeintheprocess
If the team has enough players like that they very may well go 0-16.
🎃
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"texanphinatic wrote:
That's an insane overreaction dude. There are literal criminals at the top of NFL franchises and you want to ban people because they are trying to suck for a year in an era when that strategy has proven successful in multiple other sports?
The NFL is a business, so think about this from a business perspective.
1) The ad revenue for Dolphins games is going to drop to almost zero because nobody will be watching. Those TV ads are ultimately what pays players and the league itself....that's where all the money is. So intentionally losing by 60 per game is a very big deal.
2) Players are already asking to be traded. We may even see some outright quit before this is over. It's insane to ask them to waste a year and risk injury on an 0-16 team. This hurts every single one of their careers and humiliates them.
3) Fans pay upwards of $10k for season tickets. Even more pay almost $400 for the Sunday Ticket. We do that in good faith that Miami (or any franchise) will try to field a competitive team. Ross has an obligation to meet that criteria as an NFL owner and he's ignoring it- let's face it, people have lost franchises for a lot less. It won't be long before folks will be asking for refunds.
4) If the league does nothing, it sends a very clear message- if you don't think you can win 10+ next year, then don't win any. That's over 75% of NFL teams- imagine if we had 25 "tankers" for Lawrence in 2020. That could literally put the entire league out of business.
Maybe this works in baseball since any semi-pro outfielder can catch a pop fly. But I've personally never seen a more embarrassing loss in any sport. As I said in another post, the Ravens averaged 1.2 POINTS PER OFFENSIVE SNAP in the first half. Championship basketball teams don't average that many points on their possessions. It was humiliating for our players, our fans and the NFL in general....there's just no way they can let this become a thing in the NFL.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
My biggest fear after today and this news, is Tua will a) stay in school, or b) Pull an Eli.
Unlikely, but its a weird world we live in.
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"KeyFin wrote:
The NFL is a business, so think about this from a business perspective.
1) The ad revenue for Dolphins games is going to drop to almost zero because nobody will be watching. Those TV ads are ultimately what pays players and the league itself....that's where all the money is. So intentionally losing by 60 per game is a very big deal.
Oh yea, I totally love skipping the game where my team gets to run up the score against a bad team.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"KeyFin wrote:
The NFL is a business, so think about this from a business perspective.
1) The ad revenue for Dolphins games is going to drop to almost zero because nobody will be watching. Those TV ads are ultimately what pays players and the league itself....that's where all the money is. So intentionally losing by 60 per game is a very big deal.
2) Players are already asking to be traded. We may even see some outright quit before this is over. It's insane to ask them to waste a year and risk injury on an 0-16 team. This hurts every single one of their careers and humiliates them.
3) Fans pay upwards of $10k for season tickets. Even more pay almost $400 for the Sunday Ticket. We do that in good faith that Miami (or any franchise) will try to field a competitive team. Ross has an obligation to meet that criteria as an NFL owner and he's ignoring it- let's face it, people have lost franchises for a lot less. It won't be long before folks will be asking for refunds.
4) If the league does nothing, it sends a very clear message- if you don't think you can win 10+ next year, then don't win any. That's over 75% of NFL teams- imagine if we had 25 "tankers" for Lawrence in 2020. That could literally put the entire league out of business.
Maybe this works in baseball since any semi-pro outfielder can catch a pop fly. But I've personally never seen a more embarrassing loss in any sport. As I said in another post, the Ravens averaged 1.2 POINTS PER OFFENSIVE SNAP in the first half. Championship basketball teams don't average that many points on their possessions. It was humiliating for our players, our fans and the NFL in general....there's just no way they can let this become a thing in the NFL.
Dude, tanking is prevalent in every other major sport - Miami doing it for a year is not going to ruin the team or NFL. And retroactively banning Grier and forcing Ross to sell is absolutely an insane overreaction. If you want them to combat tanking, then sure, implement a lottery or something. But banning a GM for trying to create a long term plan? No, ridiculous.