1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr. Ross and FA

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by steveincolorado, Jul 18, 2011.

1. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    With FA starting soon, what do you think our owner will do? Does he take a backseat and let Irish do his job? Does he give a blank check and says get what you need? Will he look over Jeff's shoulders? Will he second guess Jeff's decisions with Carl P.?
    I hope he stays away and let's Jeff and Tony do their jobs. That was one of the good things that Mr. Wayne H.

2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If there's a name at a position of need, he wants them. I'm looking for him to push for Williams, McNabb or Hasselbeck, and let Ireland deal with less sexy positions like OL and OLB.

I hope he wants, and is willing to spend for (mix and match based on cash and need):

DeAngelo Williams
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Ray Edwards
    Charles Johnson (I don't see us finding a way to offer him what he wants)
    Carl Nicks or Kalil if Pouncey is slotted in as a guard with Incognito or Garner
    Mike Sims-Walker (only a flyer if inexpensive; has expressed interest)
    Kevin Smith

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

That has us listed at approximately $103 million, or $20 million under the new cap. I don't know if it includes expiring contracts but I hope it does. Now, I know for a fact that we'll have a hard time signing any Panthers players because they're sitting at $73 million. Let's hope for the best.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ross seems to tell Ireland what he wants then allocates the resources to acquire it, that seems to be his style and they talked up Ireland as "the best GM since Bobby Beathard" so I'd think he has a free hand to make moves.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the extent of Stephen Ross' involvement in personnel is for now limited to one issue per off season. Last off season EVERYONE said that the big problem with the Miami Dolphins football team was they had no #1 receiver. All the media were saying it, all the fans were saying it, and Stephen Ross was saying it.

What's the big ticket item that everyone regards as the elephant in the room this off season? Give ya three guesses.

I think any input Ross gives in that regard will not have anything to do with specific players, but rather in the form of pressure to do something "significant". Jeff Ireland gets to decide what that is. But I'm guessing Ireland knows that Ross wouldn't exactly be impressed with an under the radar signing like Drew Stanton, Caleb Hanie or even Tarvaris Jackson. I think he knows that he's got to sign someone significant to appease Ross.

5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Ross needs to fill seats so I suspecct there will be at least one name signing forthcoming.Ireland will be conscious of that I imagine.

6. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    well then we need to get a big name tight end and and go get McNabb because he was a victim of Shannahan's politics .

my wish list is like this.

qb Donnovan McNabb

te best player available

wr because I think trouble is brewing for Marshall and our other wrs dont reall have the wow facto to help us.

we still need 2 more olinemen , another defensive tackle and another cornerback . this is just for depth for defense and we dont have that good of talent on offense at least in my opinion but i will root for whoever plays for us.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    McNabb's a scary option but no more or less scary than Chad Henne. I guess people prefer the known mediocrity to the unknown mediocrity.

I was watching McNabb this morning, watched his primetime performance against the Colts. If you think he's physically done you ought to watch him play. Practically had to check his throwing arm for powder burns he was gunning the ball so strong, and often on the move. His physical game isn't much of a problem though I guess some people question his stamina. It was the mental aspect of things. Every so often he looked somewhere between uncomfortable, under-prepared, or just mentally checked out. Something was wrong in Washington, maybe he and Kyle Shanahan got off on the wrong foot or something but he didn't like aspects of that offense and I'm quite sure he didn't like aspects of his surrounding cast.

McNabb's always been a guy that loves to use an athletic pass catching back as an outlet. He gets the defense flowing this way, then hits the tailback on an outlet going against the grain, dangerous play. When he was doing that in Philadelphia, he was doing it with Brian Westbrook and later Shady McCoy. Andy Reid always made it a priority to get this kind of back for McNabb because he knew Donovan and knew what he needed. Remember when Andy traded us a draft pick for Lorenzo Booker 2008? Same idea. Makes me wonder about the rumors we're interested in Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles. Same concept. Anyway McNabb goes to Washington and he's throwing those little outlets to....Keiland Williams and Mike Sellers? Really? That's what they gave him. Ryan Torain was the yard gainer on the ground, and a good one at that. He caught a few balls but Keiland Williams and Mike Sellers were more the guys that released out on patterns and helped McNabb as outlets. McNabb likes SPEED. He's made that clear before. Keiland doesn't have much of it and Sellers even less. If they were covered by linebackers in man, forget about it...no separation.

The other thing is the receivers. Yeah I'm sure we all looked on with horror as one of our own training camp heroes Anthony Armstrong goes on there to have a productive season in Washington, but truthfully I don't know if he was all that good. I know that in the Colts game I watched, Donovan is throwing these bullets to Anthony Armstrong and Santana Moss and Joey Galloway on skinny posts. Funny thing is, last year (2009) when McNabb was in Philly, he's throwing those same balls, same patterns, same rocket throw, same placement right in the stomach to DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin and they're turning them into huge gains because of their RAC ability. McNabb's throwing these to Armstrong, Galloway and even Moss, and they're not doing the same. Then I see McNabb throwing on a deep play-action post, puts it right where the receiver could have adjusted to it...but it's Brandon Banks out there running that route. Sh-tty, young, unheralded Brandon Banks. Predictably, he loses the ball in the lights and doesn't adjust on it.

Lately it seems the Redskins have tried to play this game about trading McNabb. I don't want any part of that. I want to be able to negotiate his contract and I don't want to be giving up any draft pick for him. But if the Skins relent and release him, as they should considering their cap situation...I've heard worse ideas certainly. But I will say this. Don't even bother if you're not going to pick up an Ahmad Bradshaw (my preference) or even a Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles. I still haven't looked at Brandon Jackson but I've heard he has some prowess on pass patterns getting free of linebackers so maybe he and his 4.41 speed would be an option as well. Point being, McNabb needs that kind of outlet thread.

Mostly I'd be worried that he thinks he's Brett Favre and doesn't have to work hard or get chemistry with his receivers or whatever in order to be awesome. That's the kind of feel I got in Washington and he did look under-prepared on some throws there.

MrClean and ssmiami like this.
  8. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't know a whole lot about Mr. Ross, but I do agree that he'll want at least one big name. Like someone said before, he needs to sell seats.

9. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

At this stage of McNabb's career he needs to work harder to remain semi close to his previous ability , like all QB's his age . Unfortunately McNabb has not been known for his work ethic , and unless he has had an epiphany signing him for anything beyond depth or an equal to Henne likely would be non productive.

He would have to be a very cost effective signing to consider that move for me . Banking on him to be like he was several years ago would be a costly mistake if we paid him in that vein , imo.

padre31 likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What you're saying seems to imply that McNabb's problems in 2010 were PHYSICAL.

I'm just not sure they were, based on my scrutinizing his tape. Physically he seemed as dangerous as ever. He's no Michael Vick, but he hasn't been like that in like 8 or 9 years. He was more like Josh Freeman, physically.

Problems seemed mental.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I watched probably four Redskins games, 2 with McNabb, 2 with Grossman, to me it was night and day, McNabb's accuracy was just poor, consistently throwing balls in the dirt at Wr's feet, not leading Wr's very well, easily rattled by a good passrush, his arm looked dead.

Would not touch D McNabb, not even consider him, he looked d-o-n-e.

12. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm not too sold on McNabb either. I know he didn't get along with the coaches in Washington, but I think he doesn't want to work anymore. He didn't even want to wear a playchart on his wrist last year. I don't understand that?? That's something that is so easy and very helpful. Tom Brady wears one. Thats only one example, but I think McNabb has gotten lazy.