1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR ROBOT...... totally deserves its own thread

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ToddPhin, Jul 9, 2015.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Great show.

Minor peeve in the pilot was the blonde working for a cybersecurity firm asking what a rootkit was. I know it's for exposition purposes but it took me out of the scene.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Episodes 1-9 were 10/10.

That finale kinda sucked. They let too many cats out of the bag at the same time toward the end of episode 9. 10 was way, way too trippy.

3. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I just really love this show. Going to be tough to come close to writing a season two to match season one.

But, something I highly recommend now that the show is over - if you've watched all the episodes - is ...

... re-watching the show. I've been getting some friends and family to watch it so I'll watch the first 2-3 episodes with them and as we do so, it is still just as entertaining not only because the dialog is exceptional and that there are an immense number of details that can be picked up and appreciated with greater depth; but also because the characters are viewed completely different. Now, for example, Darlene is a completely different character now that you know she is Elliot's sister. Those scenes take on an entirely new life. More so, several scenes are much more deeply moving - such as the occasion where Shayla shares her tapestry art work with Elliot; especially now knowing her fate. The second time through is very different but really quite powerful and gives one an entirely different emotional feel to the show. Really adds another layer to the phenomena of this show.

Tone_E, ToddPhin and SICK like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Supposedly season 1 is the appetizer set up to the REAL SHOW that is season 2 and beyond, according to the creator. Can't wait!

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I thought I already mentioned this, but maybe it was another forum. So 3 pages and nobody else noticed this show is a complete Dexter rip off?

Psychopath / schizophrenic who talks to himself and has daddy/sister issues? Did any of you who have seen Dexter not realize Christian Slater was his dead dad in episode 1? Hell, they got it right down to the sexual tension with his sister. And to make matters worse the inside the head voice is almost identical to Michael Hall's Dexter. Blood slides vs. CD book. Etc. Etc.

Just replace the serial killing with hacking and it's the same show. I guess I can understand people liking the show, it's an interesting premise. But when I hear people calling it groundbreaking or incredible when it's stealing another show's almost exact formula is a little over the top.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It is groundbreaking because its taking things we've seen before like Dexter or Fight Club or anything with an unreliable narrator and putting it altogether in an environment we've never seen before.

There's nothing truly new on TV since Breaking Bad anyway.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    See post #12 of page 1.

Fin D likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I had no problem with it being over the top. I had a problem with it being a rip-off.

I understand TV shows are often influenced by other shows. But this one had so much in common to Dexter to me that it just felt awkward. Seemed more like highway robbery than just borrowing or influence. Let me list it out again with a few others just to drive the point home:

- Protagonist in both shows is a mentally ill psychopath / schizophrenic
    - Protagonist in both talks to himself throughout entire show (IN THE EXACT SAME VOICE)
    - Protagonist in both talks to his dead dad
    - Protagonist in both retains keepsakes of his victims (CDs / Blood slides)
    - Protagonist in both fights evil doers as a vigilante
    - Protagonist in both squares off against an equally psychotic Antagonist.
    - Protagonist in both works directly for the people who would be trying to catch him
    - Protagonist in both has sexual tension with his sister

Not trying to talk you guys out of liking it. Just pointing out it's a pretty greasy rip job. Do any of the writers from Dexter work on this show? Not sure if that would make me feel better or worse...

The whole thing reminds me of how The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was just a Forrest Gump reboot.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    replies in blue.

The first season was a play on Fight Club, hence the producers paying homage to the movie in the final scene of the last episode. They're basically telling us- "Hey, we know that you know that we're copying Fight Club, so we're not gonna treat you like idiots and try to hide it." I think it's pure brilliance that they created a show that essentially acts as a tribute to Fight Club rather than acting as a knockoff. To me that's what makes it so special and unique b/c I don't recall ever seeing this approach before. Plus I love Fight Club and can't imagine a better job being done in recreating its premise.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Watch AMC's new show "Humans". This is A.I. done right. proper British excellence. I might have to give it its own thread.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Season 2 begins this week! :domodance:

Season 1 marathon happening right now. Thinking of watching it. It's at episode 4 ATM. Just caught the scene of Tyrell and Elliot in the bathroom together and Tyrell says to him, "Your father worked at Evil Corp before he died. That's a matter of public record".

12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Anyone keeping up with this? Solid season thus far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    unfortunately gonna have to binge watch the last 4 episodes. You like it better than season 1?

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Its still early, but not as good as S1. Though I couldn't expect that - S1 was so good and unique.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ToddPhin likes this.