1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies that should not have won an oscar?

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by peastri, Apr 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. peastri

peastri iD'Artiste Luxury Box

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Now I'm no oscar buff in fact I pretty much always think the oscars are a bit of a farce especially when they grant one movie the best picture award over an obviously better one. I want to know which movie you feel should not have won the best picture oscar?

Here's a list of winners and nominees:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture#Winners_and_nominees

For me it has to be without a doubt (and I'm sure many of you will agree) 1998 Shakespeare in Love.

1998 Shakespeare in Love
    Elizabeth
    Life Is Beautiful (La vita รจ bella)
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Thin Red Line

There is no way this film should even have been considered for best film it wasn't even particularly good as a light hearted romantic comedy which is essentially what the film is. Elizabeth is a far superior film. On top of that it beat out Saving Private Ryan. Now I'm not a big fan of that movie like most people are but I wouldn't ever put Shakespeare in Love ahead of it, in fact I wouldn't even put it in front of the Thin Red Line which I think is a terrible movie. :lol:

What are your thoughts?

H.Moody, DonShula84 and finswin56 like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I am sure Titanic will get hammered though I think it is a great movie and better than those it was up against

3. Lt Dan

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I didn't think American Beauty was all that. Green mile was definitely better IMO

1999 (72nd) American Beauty
    The Cider House Rules
    The Green Mile
    The Insider
    The Sixth Sense

4. peastri

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't know I'd take L.A. Confidential or As Good As it Gets over Titanic, easily :yes:

5. Lt Dan

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    No way!!

6. peastri

Mar 25, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    easily :yes:... neither of those films made me laugh when I wasn't supposed to :lol:

7. Lt Dan

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Guess we will have to disagree

8. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I agree. LA Confidential was a much better movie. Also, SPR should definitely have won in 98.

9. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I'll go with 1994 and that pompus, holier-than-thou flick "Forrest Gump" winning the Award over a genuinely moving and insightful picture like "The Shawshank Redemption". Runner up is "The Return of the King" - worst part of the trilogy gets the Award that belonged to either "Mystic River" or "Lost in Translation". A shame they didn't have enough balls to give it to "The Fellowship of the Ring".

10. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Disagree totally with your opinions on Forrest Gump and Return of the King.

11. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Saving Private Ryan? Are you serious?

12. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I didn't think Annie Hall or American Beauty should've won. Good movies sure, but there were classics that got snubbed. I'm a bit biased towards American Beauty since it was filmed at my high school but the other four in that category were equal or better. And Star Wars (15th on AFI's top 100 movies list) should've won over Hall.

13. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Is who serious and what did they say about it?

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    No Country for Old Men, granted it was a great movie I just thought it was overhyped.

15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Please leave Sir...just go... :pity:

finfansince72 and unluckyluciano like this.
  16. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    American Beauty is one of the 10 best films of this generation IMO
    You can have Cider House Rules it wasnt that great...
    You're right The Green Mile and Sixth Sense were both EXCELLENT films that deserved the Oscar.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I never said it was bad it was just overhyped, I still loved the movie though.

18. Lt Dan

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Forrest gump and Shawshank are both great movies IMO. Not sure where the whole "pompus, holier-than-thou" comment comes from.....

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Alright then you're forgiven. :wink2: Honestly I wouldnt have been upset if 'There Will Be Blood' took it home. They were both great films.

20. Lt Dan

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I agree sir

21. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    mystic river was overrated IMO.
    Lost in translation though I would have given the award too, but they had been snubbing LOTR trilogy from what I remember.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  22. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    1980 Raging Bull should have won over Ordinary People
    1990 Goodfellas should have won over Dances with Wolves
    1996 Fargo should have won over The English Patient
    2002 Gangs of NY should have won over Chicago

I dont really have a problem with Titanic winning. I think LA Confidential is better but Titanic isnt bad imo. American Beauty and Forest Gump are no brainer wins imo.

FinSane, finswin56 and finfansince72 like this.
  23. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Well I agree on Shakespeare in Love, but the only reason I agree is because "Thin Red Line" was nominated, and Thin Red Line was an awesome movie plus it was the return of Terrance Malick into the world of filmmaking, which is something that should have received an award:

My candidates:

In 1964 My Fair Lady won for best movie beating out Dr. Strangelove (or how ... ...) which I can live with (I love My fair Lady) but I admit that Dr. Strangelove is a way more important and better movie than My Fair Lady.

By the same token a year later The sound of Music (this was Hollywoods heyday in Musicals) won the Oscar beaating out Dr. Zhivago which is one of the most important movies of the century...

In 1967 In the heat of the Night beat out both Bonnie and Clyde and The Graduate... and the Graduate is a far better movie.

I'll get **** for this one but in 1976 Rocky beat out "All the Presidents' men" which is again a better movie.

A HUUUGE one... in 1979 "Kramer vs. Kramer" beat out "Apocalypse Now" which is plain stupid.

And then the academy one-upped themselves giving in 1980 the Oscar to "Ordinary People" while leaving "RAging Bull" and "The Elephant Man" as simple nominees.

1989 also was a bad decision, they chose to give the oscar to "Driving Miss Daisy" instead of "Born in the fourth of july" , "Dead Poets society" or "My Left Foot"

Another enormous one happened in 1990 where they gave the oscar to "Dancing with Wolves" when "GoodFellas" was a nominated movie.

And as far as I am concerned, you can't give the Oscar to "Unforgiven" when "The Crying Game" is nominated, which happened in 1992

The "Forrest Gump" one is one that actually should bring up some debate since it beat up "Shawshank Redemption" and "Pulp Fiction" so you can argue the merits of all three of those movies.

I don't think "Braveheart" deserves anything... but there where no movies that year that where worth it (well Leaving las Vegas... but it wasnt nominated)

"English Patient" should not have beat out "Shine"

"American Beauty" is and should have won the Oscar. It is by far the best movie of that year and it is just a tour de force of awesome directing and acting, it has everything you need to make a movie wonderful and it is wonderful.

How "gladiator" beat "Traffic" completely escapes me, except for the Academy loves epics that make money... even if they are all glam and no substance.

There is no way in hell "A beautiful Mind" deserved to win. "In the Bedroom" was 100 times the movie that Beautiful was... not only that but that year gave us freaking Ron Howard winning the Best Director Oscar over Robert Altman, Peter Jackson, David Lynch and Ridley Scott all of which have waaay more talent than him in their pinky finger.

Chicago was not better than "The Pianist" despite what feelings we might have for Polanski (who actually did win best director)

Return of the king was not better than Lost in Translation (although both of them sucked... The best movie of that year was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and it did not get nominated)

The aviator should have won and Scorsese should have won for that one.

Crash is not a better movie than Brokeback Mountain.

And The Departed should not have won either, the best movie that year was not nominated (Children of Men)

DonShula84 likes this.
  24. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I agree with a lot of this, especially the Graduate. Great movie, as was Bonnie and Clyde. I also like All the Presidents Men quite a bit so I'd have no real issue with that over Rocky. Cant say I'm a fan of Thin Red Line however. I saw it in theaters and maybe I was just too young to appreciate but I thought it was horrible. I havent seen it since then so maybe I need to suck it up and give it another viewing. Forrest Gump, Shawshanke and Pulp Fiction, great year for movies, one could make a case that any of the 3 deserved to win. I still havent seen Dr. Zhivago or Dr. Strangelove but both are on my to do list. I also have no problems with Unforgiven winning, I love that movie.

25. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Chicago might be the worst movie ever to win an oscar.

26. quelonio

Nov 27, 2007
    You should... .first time I saw it I was just as angry as you where thought it was awful and overrated... But when I saw it again I was blown away. Just awesome movie.

Zhivago is awesome. Anything David Lean is good as far as I am concerned.

27. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I really think its pretty bad when something that was a great play wins or gets aclame for being a good movie. Seems like cheating to me.......

28. quelonio

Nov 27, 2007
    Not reallly, you could argue the same about books... a lot of movies out there (if not most) are based on something. Few are 100% original.

29. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Not really plays such as broadway plays come with visuals included. Yes some of what is done in a movie/broadway play is the directors own interpretation, but at least in my view, when you are given visuals already it leaves little for the movie directors to fill in. Where as books, most books, visuals included, are very open to interpretation, since most of it is written word. I just think there is more flexibility with books then with a play that has been produced over and over.

30. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

The Thin Red Line was a horrible mishmash of a movie.

Agreed. Dancing With Wolves should have been called Sleeping in Theaters.

While Fellowship of the Ring was better, Return of the King was a great movie and deserved to win.

Phins28 likes this.
  31. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Gladiator may have been an "Epic" but it was a GREAT epic.. sorry but Crowe and Pheonix had Oscar worthy performances wrapped in those "epic" trappings.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
    Lt Dan likes this.
  32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    WHAT???????

Traffic was a great movie..but it was nowhere near the film Gladiator was. Gladiator will be remembered and quoted till the end of time. Traffic has been forgotten.

Phins28 and Lt Dan like this.
  33. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I thought Traffic completely sucked. Matter of fact I disagree with 3/4 of Q's post above.

To say that Unforgiven, Braveheart, Gladiator, and, Retrurn of the King, and Departed should not have won is blasphemy in my mind. Especially Braveheart, Unforgiven, and Departed. Braveheart set the standard for what epic battle scenes are now.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  34. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    dude I really like the departed then I watched the original series made in china and now I cant stand the film. It's such a hardcore rip off of the chinese film. Internal affairs saga for any and all those interested....

35. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    No .

36. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Chinese version is really good. I've only seen the 1st one, didnt realize it was a set. It's Infernal Affairs though :wink2:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0338564/

unluckyluciano likes this.
  37. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Either way I own the whole set so pffffffffffffft :tongue2:

You can buy it off amazon I think it was like 30 dollars made by the dragon dynasty company.

38. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes it has.

I said so..and that makes it so.

finswin56, peastri and unluckyluciano like this.
  39. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    "Are you not entertained?"

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  40. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Blasfemia :pity: