1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most important hire in franchise history?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PSG, Jan 14, 2012.

1. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Is that what this coaching search/ hire is?
    It may sound like hyperbole, but I'm not sure it isn't true.
    Like it or not, believe it or not, this franchise is in a tailspin. We are a laughing stock in the media, many fans are disenchanted and are showing it by not attending games.
    The right HC hire now will right the ship and point the Miami Dolphins back in the right direction, and hopefully restore its rightful place as one of the crown jewels of the NFL.
    The wrong hire, at the very least will set the team back another 2-3 years and erode the fan base even more, At worse, well who knows.
    People laugh at me (hell, I laugh at myself too) when I say the L.A. Dolphins. But if this teams hire a bad coach and has 3 more years of 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 win season....at some point Ross will get tired of buying up tickets so the games aren't blacked out. At some point Ross' celebrity love-affair surely will cause him at least look in that direction.
    Anyway, I don't want this thread to be about that, because I know I'm the only one who thinks it's a real possible. Mostly, because I think I'm the only person willing to it give some real honest thought and look at objectively.

But is this HC hire the most important in franchise history, or is that being too over-dramatic?

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Over-dramatic.

Fin D, Ohio Fanatic and PSG like this.
  3. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Fair enough.
    But I'm not sure I'm that far off.
    Which hire was more important?

4. phinfan13

phinfan13 Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Currently....Brandon Fields :)

PSG likes this.
  5. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I would say Shula was the most important, but this one is equally important as all the other HC hires.

Already having the Miami Dolphins become the L.A. Dolphins puts this in the over-dramatic category imo...sounds like the mind is bleeding before it is cut.

darefugee, ToddsPhins and shula_guy like this.
  6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Don Shula was a pretty important hire.

You could argue that, at the time, hiring Nick Saban was the most important hire of all time. You went from Shula to the failed JJ/Wanny era. It was time for a fresh start and Saban was the hottest hire possible. Seems like we were at a greater crossroads then.

7. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    See, I don't know. We didn't have the eroding fan bas then like we do now. I think people are underestimating the state this franchise is in. In the last decade and a half, I believe we've gone from one of the top 7 franchises to one of the bottom 7. And I don't think I've ever seen fan apathy like it is now.

As far as Shula, maybe. I wasnt around then, so I don't know what the situation was like. Because if Shula's success, it may have turned into the biggest hire in franchise history, but I don't know if it was considered that at the time.

8. It was iimportant nough to Robie to sacrafie a draft pick to hire Shula. Also it was a new franchisewith no identity which Shula then gave the team one. I think it is also arguable that the HC had more impact on the team then he does today. I would say your being over-dramatic but thats not to say it isnt important that they get this hire right.

TS was not the rght guy here but now that they fired him they need to make sure they take a step forward not backward. Considering there is about 6 teams looking or new HC's, the talent pool might kind of thin to choose from if thy let this drag on too long. Its unfortunate we wasted somuch time on Fisher but we still have time to get somebody else.

Fans will jus need to excercise some patience and wait and see what Ross produces. Its unsettling but thatjusthow it is. People need to relax for now. The current season has not even ended yet.

darefugee and PSG like this.
  9. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree with that. After a good night sleep I have a better perspective on what happened with Fisher. I still don't like that Ireland is the man in charge of this franchise going forward, but I have to deal with it and hope I'm wrong about him.
    I still believe this will be the most important coaching hire in the history of this team simply because of the state of the franchise and state of mind of many fans.

shula_guy likes this.
  10. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Quick judgement

11. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree. I think many I just saying "over-reaction" without looking at the situation as a whole.
    It's OK. I had a feeling I'd be out here on a lonely branch with this opinion. But I firmly believe it to be true.

12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Baloney. this gets said everytime we hire a new coach.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  13. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Really?
    By who?
    When?
    I've never said it, and quite frankly I've never heard it said.

14. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Maybe it is a little over dramatic but I can see your point and have to say I agree some. I was around when Shula was hired and I remember how much media hype was attached to it. Dolphin fans were ecstatic with the news and Shula was regarded as one of the best coaches in the NFL at the time. Shula brought immediate respect to the Dolphins and he turned a mediocre franchise into one of the most respected in the NFL.
    Dolphin fans want to be optimistic with Ross and Ireland's efforts but there is still that fear and apprehension attached. This franchise has been dysfunctional for many years and the only cure is to turn things around and make it relevant in the NFL once again and without the right Head Coach, it is not going to happen, even as bad as we want it.

15. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I think it is an over reaction. I mean if we hire a coach and he fails then he'll be fired in three years and we'll be hiring a new coach. It's not like this team will cease to exist if we don't make the playoffs soon.

16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    just because you didn't say it, does that mean it didn't happen.
    - When Jimmy came on board, it was so damn important that he put it together so Dan could finally win that superbowl
    - When Wanny was FINALLY ousted, it was so damn important that Nick Saban rebuild our image
    - When Saban was fired, it was important that Cam Cameron inject our offense some life (I'll give you that wasn't a big one)
    - When Parcells and co took over, it was a huge hire to the majority of fans to bring that respectability back to our once proud franchise

the way some of you overreact to every little thing that goes on with this team (which is fine, that's why we're fans), it's no wonder that every significant event seems like the "most important". I'm not trying to be overly critical here. Just pointing out that this is just in another long line of coaching hires to try and restore our team to glory. nothing about this hire is any different.
    -

17. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    The Dolphins getting Don Shula was thee most important hire this team will ever have, regardless of whoever they hire now or in the future. However, I do believe the next hiring of a HC will be significant due to the fact that a once proud franchise is continuing to embarrass themselves by failing to right the ship for quite some time now. IF we can hire someone who can gain back respectability it will obviously be huge to the organization and the suffering fan base as well.

18. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    John Goodman would be my celebrity hire...

19. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

I pretty much agree to a point,but the more coaches we go through the more of an embarrassment we become. Its getting to the point of enough is enough. Lets get a guy who will come in and offer some stability.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    TBH, if Ross doesn't overreact and or go into desperation mode, this team/organization has a solid chance to be a 10+ win season next year with:

-Nolan and a defense that has both seen its youth further develop and shows up in shape from Day 1.

-Daboll with an offense that's still developing, has a few upgrades, and has a year's experience in Daboll's offense while Daboll, himself, is still developing as an OC.

-Ireland in his 2nd year with full control after showing some promise last year in both his coaching hires and draft picks/draft strategy because a few year's worth of Ireland's drafting for Daboll & Nolan could see a solid return which is even more important now that rookie contracts are greatly reduced, allowing more cash for FAs.

-and Bowles, an up-and-comer who seems to understand the team's vibe, has a strong presence, is respected, will have the drive to prove himself, and seems to have the brains to run the show, adapt, and play the coaching chess game.

Ohio Fanatic and Pandarilla like this.
  21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I agree, and if you don't win, you would know whether or not Ireland is a good GM also.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Exactly. Great point.
    Ross would be smart to make sure he weeds out the right people or doesn't unjustly weed out the wrong ones.
    IMO we'd be better off just starting with a new HC, and then a year later reassess everything.