1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moss wants to play in 2012

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by rafael, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Monday is Randy Moss' birthday, and he had an announcement to commemorate the occasion: He wants to end his brief retirement and return to professional football in 2012.

"I wanna play football," Moss said on UStream on Monday morning. "Your boy is going to come back here and play some football, so I'm really excited. I had some things I had to adjust in my life."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570336/randy-moss-says-wants-return-football-2012

I actually wonder if NE would have beaten NY with Moss on their team. I think he could have forced NY to play their defense a little differently. When that pressure picked up in the second half, those underneath passes might have been a little easier to complete or gone for a few more yards.

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Key word, he "wants" to play. Might be worth kicking the tires.

Stitches likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Gotta wonder if his speed is still there. He can run routes still, I'm sure. He's a physical freak still. But if that speed is there, oh boy that is a scary sight. A couple of years ago he ran the 40 for the Patriots (they test own players every year) and he tore it up.

4. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    It would be incredibly stupid of this team to not give his agent a call. If you can get him for a cheap one year deal, it's a no-brainer. The potential far outweighs the risk. If Plaxico Burress can have the very solid year he had last year, Moss can do that easily.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I am of the opposite opinion, we would be stupid to sign him. Proven cancer who's on-field benefits do not outweigh his negative impact. There is a reason the Pats wanted to offload him, the Vikings went downhill and wanted to offload him and then the Titans sunk and wanted to offload him. Incredible talent, but at this point I don't see his value in being part of the TEAM. Same goes for Owens.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You only take a Moss if you have a veteran QB like Brady....or Manning, because their leadership would trump his "divaness" for a year or two anyway.

If not, he could kill a young QB's career.

finyank13 likes this.
  7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Apparently he still thinks he does.....4.3 would be nuts at his age.....

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting. I want to say he ran a 4.38 or 4.41 when he was tested in NE but I can't remember for sure.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't really doubt that he can still run fast, but I don't see him as a fit for Miami. I don't see him as a cancer or anything like that. I just believe that we'd be better served long-term to develop Gates. Moss is a one year fix at a #2 position. Yes, he stretches the field, but I prefer to look at the long-term. I do believe that NE made the wrong call though going from Moss to 85.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Dude only respects Belichick.

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Problem is we have been looking "at the long term" for a long time now....Miami if they get Peyton and he can play, I think should consider a 1 yr contract....it is low risk.....

If Miami gets a guy that can stretch the field (something they dont have) and catches everything within a 50 yard radius thrown to him (something Miami doesnt have) they would be foolish not to at least consider it...

Again I would only want this to happen IF Miami got a veteran qb like Manning, if not I dont want Moss around....because IF they do get these 2, and have the defense they have been getting the past 2 years.....they are competing for the Division and will be one of the best teams in the AFC.....

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    No, we haven't been looking at the long term. We've been blowing it up every few years with a new regime.

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I am talking about players....they have.....the OL.....Hartline, Bess, the entire defense besides Burnett, and KD.....Henne....Thomas now at RB

there comes a time when you are a few players away from really competing for this thing and maybe they are on the market so you take some chances...because otherwise you are in a constant state of "development" which isnt good either....Plus come on we are talking about Randy Moss against Clyde Gates....

If Gates is good enough to stick around, he will beat out Wallace, Moore, and Priutt.....not to mention anybody else I may be forgetting on the bubble....

14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Signing manning being a terrible idea aside, even if you do sign the guy, IMO, you're better off spending more money to get a Reggie Wayne. someone Manning is already familiar with than going after a cancerous diva like Moss. And I don't throw around the term "cancerous" at all. Moss is actually the only WR I've ever thought fit that label.
    The guy misses the attention and the money. I don't see why anyone believe that he wouldn't suck just like he did for both Minnesota (2nd time around) and Tennessee.

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    What we need is the long-term answer at QB. What we have been doing is settling for short-term solutions. Pennington is the only one that helped, but after one year where we took a chance on an injured vet we're back in the same spot. If we've learned anything then our QB choice should be between Flynn or Tannehill. Whomever we believe is the guy, bring him in and develop pieces around him for the long-term.

gunn34 and finyank13 like this.
  16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Signing Manning is terrible? okay....if he can play like Peyton it is terrible? I am reading this correctly right.....TERRIBLE? :lol:

Again NOT saying I want Moss first and foremost, I think the secondary, QB, and OL are priorities over the WR core, however if Miami losses out on all these WR's and Moss is sitting there not getting any looks....again I would consider it with Peyton in the fold...

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yes and I agree 100% absolutely....thats why I hope they draft one early whom they can develop (theres that word again :lol:) under Manning for a few years....but in the meantime...crap lets have some fun with it too, with ANY sort of QB in the fold this year they compete.....

Also Flynn is an option but I really think they are going Manning first....if he can play....Ross needs attendance figures NOW.....especially with the Marlins in there new digs, and the Heat warming asses everywhere....

As they say the man with money wins...

18. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'd rather have Owens.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    In that case I'd rather have AIDS

finyank13 likes this.
  20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It really is this simple:

If Moss is healthy he is worth it.
    If Manning is healthy he is worth it.

Thats all there is to it, afterall WE ARE NOT IN ANY POSITION TO PASS ON HALL OF FAME TALENT!

finyank13 likes this.
  21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree with it being that simple.

Moss is an older and limited WR. Even if he's healthy there are other considerations like, his salary demands, what other players you don't get to develop, attitude, etc.

Manning if healthy is almost guaranteed to come back at something less than he was. How much less is the question. And again you have the opportunity cost. You will almost assuredly have to decide on Flynn long before Manning will be healthy. Do you pass up on drafting a first round QB to build around Manning as many here have suggested?

22. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    the "terrible" part is your assumption that he can "play like P Manning". which IMO, he cannot. so, yes. terrible it is.
    but we already have several threads on this subject.

23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Why not let Moss teach Gates how to run in a straight line effectively? Seriously, no one has ever run in a straight line quite like Moss.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

In all of my posts, I wrote "IF" he can play like Manning, not sure how ou confused my posts, it doesnt not matter what your opinion is.....

I am under the assumption you read my posts, and thought that signing Manning IF healthy is terrible....silly me...

And again IF Manning can play like he can (taking opinions out of this) to say that signing him is TERRIBLE is welllllllll terrible...

25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Why cant we do both? Why cant we trade down a bit, pick up another second rounder and get Tannehill in the mid-late first round?
    Or we wait a year and draft someone in the QB heavy 2013 draft.
    Either way Manning would be mentoring a young QB so its win-win.

26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm worried that once the NFL scouts opinions start getting out that Tannehill won't make it to our pick. I would take him over RG3. I expect that others will think the same. I'm not waiting another year for a miracle medical recovery and a short term solution at best.

27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Seems like you might, last time he did this, he canned Caldwell the same day....

28. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    That simple huh? I am sure the Vikings and Titans thought the same thing. Sometimes individual talent comes in an overall package that is more a detriment than benefit. Moss is one of those guys. Albert Haynesworth is another example.

29. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    randy moss wants to make a comeback

I'm sure he wouldn't mind a chance to beat the pats twice a year.

Manning, Marshall, moss, & bess!
    Lets discuss the pros and cons and/or the possibility that we would want him

<iframe width="400" height="24" src="http://thefinsiders.com/?powerpress_embed=29015-podcast&amp;powerpress_player=default" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

http://thefinsiders.com/podcasts

30. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    no thanks.

Manning - only possible if he shows some progress soon. I'm still leaning towards Flynn + Moore.
    Moss - not in a million years. He showed zero ability last season. not sure why anyone thinks he'll improve on that this year.
    Bess - even if we were to pickup P Manning, I think I'd rather have Hartline than Bess as our #3 WR.
    we need to stop trying to take shortcuts to get our team to the playoffs.

31. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Sign Moss and T.O.

32. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    he showed zero ability last season because he didn't play. Lol. He took the year off

33. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?68552-Moss-wants-to-play-in-2012

No, we should not sign Moss. Any remaining talent he may have (and he didn't show much during his last stint in football with the Titans) is trumped by the negative atmosphere he seems to have hanging around him. With a brand new coach and likely a brand new QB the last thing we need is Moss messing around with the team. Let him go and sink some other franchise.

34. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    he actually took 2 years off. THe first year was basically taking the year off when he played for Minny and Tenn. It's amazing that anyone can think that a player can stink it up for a full season, take a year off and come back and be productive. This isn't similar to Ricky's retirement. Moss was almost completely ineffective his last year playing. much of that could have been desire, but IMO, some of it was an eroding skill set.

35. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Randy should go play for the Jets.. I can't think of a team better suited for both his personality and current skill set.

jsizzle and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Good luck to Randy. Not happening in Miami.

37. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Break it down, ya'll!!

38. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    isnt Chambers availabel I would take Chmbers back over Moss or T.O. hell Adarius Bowman isplaying well in canadian League he would bring more to the table then Moss and hell i wasnt oposed to bringing in Moss but i cant see us doing that. as for Hartline he doesnt scare anyone we cando much better then keeping him. Bess I really want to be a beleiver but I just cant see that he is a difference maker.I think Manning is more healthy andi can handle seeing him in aqua.

39. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    I agree, to the Jets makes the most sense!

40. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    all i can really say on this one is .... whoop de doooooo - i guess the man still wants a ring ...