1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern Warfare 3 unveiling imminent

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Desides, May 7, 2011.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Your connection doesn't matter. Unlike previous COD games, there is a new host for every map regardless of connection speed. So no, it's not your connection. And Host makes everything 100% easier. You get an extra second.

2. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I need to know the maps better before I start taking on HC.

I like Kill Confirmed; it really limits the amount of camping, IMO.

3. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Ended up selling mine on Craigslist for $45. Only payed $37 for it on Amazon with the $20 credit I got for BF3 so can't complain. Might be the first ever game I ever sold the first week I had it.

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    CoD = Madden of shooters.
    Comes out every year with the same crappy quality and people eat it up.

5. Blade

Blade New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Usually, when you start the map and the countdown timer is above ten you are usually the host.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Just beat the campaign. Miles better than BF3's single player, which is high praise from me considering I think CoD is nothing more than mediocre. Great ending, nice pastiche of elements from CoD4 and MW2 for fan service effect, and there were some genuinely unique (for CoD) segments. They also fairly neatly wrapped up everything from CoD4 and MW2, and I think the new IW did that intentionally so they can create something they can call their own.

Don't have a comment on the multiplayer as I'm not even going to bother. I'm firmly committed to BF3.

7. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I totally disagree on the campaign. I found it to be almost identical to the previous 2 games in the franchise. It starts off almost exactly how Mw2 did by my recollection. How many helicopter and plane crashes can one survive?

The plot is extremely far fetched. To think one Russian extremist could wield that much power is idiotic.

The AI in the game is non exisitant. I played it on Veteran and continuously yelled at my tv because of me squad mates' "help". They wouldn't shoot at enemies and often times got out of the way for enemies to shoot at me!

Like R&R, this is the first time I got rid of a game in the first week. IW has fallen so far from the days of Medal of Honor and COD 1

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How many games' plots aren't farfetched?

9. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Guess again.

http://www.callofduty.com/thread/100569518?start=0&tstart=0

10. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    This is how it's always been in COD. As long as you're not the host, if you have a bad connection, it benefits you making it harder for everyone else to shoot you. MW3 has the worst hit detection in a game I've ever played easily I know that.

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There are two assumptions in your post here.

1. Realism is preferable to non-realism.
    2. Call of Duty attempts to be realistic.

Both are wrong. Call of Duty is just as unrealistic as, say, Rayman. Or, to put it a better way, it's just as realistic as Portal.

Anyway, I stand by my post. MW3's campaign is pretty decent, especially as the conclusion of a trilogy. And by the way, if MW3's campaign is "almost identical" to CoD4's, wouldn't that be a good thing for most people?

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Bull****. Hit detection on Mw3 is not the worst... MW2 probably had the best, with COD 4 behind it, and all the treyarch POS coming in dead last.

It seems everyone just wants to **** on this game because they're not very good... Sorry, but it's true. The game isn't perfect by any means, but it's not trash either.

Paul 13 likes this.
  13. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm sure everyone *****ing about it on the COD forums are wrong too. Hit detection in this game is plain awful. I've ran up and knifed people on at least 2 occasions and it didn't register and then got blasted and died. And not commando like lunges either, literally right in front of me. This doesn't mean it won't get fixed. BF3 had shoddy hit detection on release too, and that's fixed for the most part. And I couldn't disagree more with the game not being trash. I hated MW2 and this is a blatant copy and paste job from that only with the worst maps I've ever played in a FPS. Seems to me the 5,000 people that reviewed the game on metacritic would disagree with you as well. 3.1 rating lol. Everyone has different interests. You like the game, that's fine. I hated the game and sold it, that's fine too. Maybe if enough people ***** and complain and stop buying their **** they will go back to making good games like COD4 again, where they focus more on actual gameplay than how many unlocks and killstreaks they can come up with

BicketyBam likes this.
  14. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    You can't really call a game "Modern" and then have the game be completely unbelievable. We're supposed to believe that Russia invades the US, and in what seems to be a day they have already seized NY and installed some radio frequency jammer on top of the stock exchange. Seems like a bad sequel to Red Dawn

It's funny as hell the way the game starts. After what happened to Soap in MW2, apparently all he needed was a shot to get back into action for MW3.
    then he dies at the end from something way less traumatic then he's been through 100 times before

The formula didn't deviate one iota from the other 2 games. While that was an awesome formula for Cod4, it's a little unoriginal all these years later. Survive a crash. Sneak your way into some enemy stronghold as a sniper. Some obligatory vehicle
    mission where you are guaranteed to survive another crash. Firefight on a jetliner. Been there, done that, got the achievements for it.

15. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I don't think there's anything new they can come up with. There's only so much you can do in a modern setting using a completely scripted hollywood war action packed philosophy. That's why I say ArmA gets it right. You're given an entire country, some objectives, and that's that. Get the job done however you choose. Not to mention that it's completely built on realism.

16. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    So I guess you have no reason to be in this thread anymore?

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    As I stand right now, I think this is an ok game that, IMO, just doesn't stack up to Black Ops. I loved the Black Ops maps and these are just such a let down compared to those. But it's entertaining me mildly so I won't completely trash it.

18. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    My only problem is that they have really limited the ability to snipe effectively. I really haven't found a map where I think "I could dominate this map" as a sniper.

19. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I haven't been able to do anything with any weapons besides assault rifles. I've tried and just get destroyed. I miss owning people with the Spaz... time to dust off Black Ops I think...

20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I partially agree with this. Any multiplayer game is a whole lot more fun when you're good at it, and hair pulling out/ frothing at the mouth frustrating when you suck balls at it.

But I was never that great at Black Ops and I still LOVED it. I've never played a video game for more hours than I played that, and I'm still not done with it. And I loved it from the start even when I was having those 1-11 games of team deathmatch.

21. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I am liking the game more now that I am not going 8-11 anymore. My games tend to be sporadic but I have been able to bring my k/d ratio from .8 to 1.1 this weekend. Granted I have only put like 10 hours into the multiplayer, but I feel like I am getting much better at the game thus enjoying it more. Once I can get the perk where you move silently, I'll be happy. I think I have like 10 levels to go or so for it.

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I was approaching a K/D of 1 before a wedding weekend derailed all my progress. I was back to more .3 - .6 games last night.

I hate the fact that I have to choose between Blind Eye and Sleight of Hand for Perk 1. I feel like I need both of them to be successful.

23. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I dislike that they basically made two perks out of the Cold-Blooded perk in MW2 (or Ghost in BO), My perk strategy has always been the Sleight of Hand/Cold Blooded/Ninja perks, but I cannot do that in this game... which sucks.

They did the same with the Sleight of Hand too... they have the faster reload as one perk and the faster ADS as another perk. Just annoying...

McLovin and MonstBlitz like this.
  24. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I used to have Mondays off back when MW2 was the big thing. So I would play a lot during the day on Monday when I knew all of the 12 year olds were at school. That would always improve my K/D ratio.

MonstBlitz and Vengeful Odin like this.
  25. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Looking forward to playing this in December... By then, you will all be experts and I'll be a total noob, so if you want some easy pickings toward the new year, look me up! :)

26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I really hate the fact that a game this mediocre is breaking all kinds of money records. This is absolutely the last Infinity Ward CoD I buy. But I'll line up for the next Treyarch for sure.

27. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    That's what happens when you rip off so many people with your last game, that you're able to get the best marketing money can buy.

28. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    whose fault is it though? IW's for making a mediocre game or people for buying it? I mean, if I sell cat crap on a stick, market it as the best cat crap on a stick and people buy it, am I at fault?

29. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I came to the conclusion that I like BF3 on the console, and MW3 on PC.
    BF3 is a better "all around" game IMO, while MW3 is just a fun shooter.
    BF3 is much, much more prettier on PC and it's not even close. However after spending MANY hours playing FPSs I can relate to MW3 better. Same basic jump, shoot duck concepts that I perfected in Quake II and III are still useful in MW3 but not BF2.

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don’t think MW3 was marketed as heavily as MW2.

As for this subtopic, I’m more worried by the games people don’t buy than the games they do.

31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You're right, and I'm just as guilty as the rest of the suckers who bought this game. I was just hoping that like an awful movie when people realized it wasn't that great a game, sales would dwindle. No such luck. Too many people love these mass produced ridiculously easy no substance campaign having games. Everyone I know who bought it has put it down and gone back to Black Ops already. I guess that's why I was surprised by the Yahoo article.

32. RonD

RonD New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I played both on PC, they're great but I put more hours to BF3.

33. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Surprised this thread doesn't get more love. Anywho, something crazy happened while I was playing last night. Maybe you guys can figure it out.

Here's what happened: I was playing TDM running the Assault package. I had just dropped in a Care Package, and then got killed. I rush back to the care package, and see the guy who killed me prone trying to secure it. Instead of immediately killing him, I tried to secure the package. For a split second, I thought I saw "Reaper" flash as if that was what was contained in the CP. So, I hold down the square button, only to immediately discover that I have Juggernaut equipped, and a MASSIVE machine gun. I'm only Lev 39, so I'm not sure what kind of gun this was. I was instantly swarmed upon by the other team as I must've unknowingly dropped the CP near their spawn.

Thinking I'm about to be killed anyway (I'd never had Juggernaut before, only seen videos of it) because of the limited mobility, I just start unloading. I'm taking nades, massive bullet fire, nothing is stopping me. I got about 8 or 9 kills before the match was up. We lost, even with my nice comeback to finish at 19-6.

WTF? I thought Juggernaut only gave you a .45 and a Riot shield? Gonna have to watch the replay in the vault again to try and figure it out, but either way it was pretty sweet.

/cool story bro

finyank13 likes this.
  34. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I have to admit, that story was pretty cool bro.

35. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    There are 2 different Jugs you can obtain. 1 is "Assault Jugs" and can be either gotten through loading Juggernaut as your Killstreak in the assault package or getting very lucky in the care package like you did.

The other jugs is called "Recon Jugs" and you can get it from the support list, which as you mentioned gives you a riot shield and a pistol....I'm not 100% sure but i think you can get recon jugs from the care package as well.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  36. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Sooo backwards lol.

You can get into maps on the PC version of BF3 that hold more than twice as many players compared to it's pc counterparts. Considering the BF maps are quite larger than MW, those players really make the difference in generating the feeling of a large battle with multiple fronts.

Just think about the use of vehicles alone. With a team of merely 12 players, the vehicles end up eliminating even more of the infantry fighters which the vehicles are meant to be supporting. When you up the size of the teams it really allows for a more flexible atmosphere for a war game that prides itself on the "rock scissors paper" tactics.

IMO, MW3 is the superior console "pick up and play shooter", while BF3 is best played on a PC with the larger battles. Also, you will find the player community on the PC for BF3 light years ahead of the consoles. Largely due to the Battlefield series have a deep background on the PC. If you are into the tactical-team game play of BF3 then the consoles are the absolute worst place for it.

37. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I agree with that for OVERALL consumer, hence me writing "I LIKE".

38. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Calm down, we both gave our opinions. No need to get defensive.

MW3 is a made for console game that was merely an afterthought on the PC. It is filled with un-bannable hackers(punkbuster doesnt catch them). Even worse, you can't even kick them from lobbies.

Not only that, but there are no dedicated servers. I can't even picture playing a PC shooter extensively on the PC with the kind of lobby system that MW3 uses....a system that is fine for the consoles but fails miserably on the PC.

Less players, more hackers, unplayable ranked mode, more lag....and features that only exist because of the game's popularity on the consoles.....If this is the future of PC blockbuster title gaming, its dead.

But hey, you "LIKE" it so :up:

39. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah, I re-watched it again in Theater. I wasn't aware that there was an Assault Jug. Normally you're lucky to get an attack helicopter in a care package, so I guess I was just caught off-guard. (though I've recently gotten a Pavelow, AH6 overwatch and Strafe Runs recently, which are extremely rare)

I'm actually having a lot of fun with this game. I think I like it better than the other MW's and definitely more than Black Ops. My K/D is about 1.4 right now, which is the best I've been at in any game.

Phinz420 likes this.
  40. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I agree, Im lovin the first MW game that isnt filled with grenade spam-noob tubes-commando lungers. The quick scopers are still out there i guess lol.

Im a care package whore, and I've been that way probably since MW2. I used to stack them up and drop them in succession, but sadly MW3 took that feature away from me lol.

I have a hard time choosing between assassin and hardline though. I absolutely love the quick care packages you can get with Hardline pro, but my main style of play in COD has always been to use stealthy perks in order to attempt flanking their front positions(...which is always fun in cod since the ****ing game will randomly spawn some ******* right behind you after you already killed him :lol:), so assassin is almost a must-have for me.

I actually had a much higher KDR in Black Ops(1.8) than I have so far in MW3(1.3), but it is about the same I had during MW2. Well...I guess I dont know what my true KDR should be right now considering my friend will play on my account for hours on end getting destroyed in the Ground War mode.

I absolutely love Ground war myself, the extra players makes it intense, and it switches up between 3 different game types now instead of 2. Adding in Kill Confirmed into the mix with TDM/Domination. The only downside to Ground War, is that it doesn't use the smallest maps.