1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mock draft to combat the pats :)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ToddsPhins, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Especially regarding this draft, IMO we need to strategically put ourselves into position to draft quality not quantity to keep up with the Pats, who are about to tear up the draft and dominate the East if we don't do anything about it. While we're drafting quantity, they're drafting quality as well as quantity due to vast # of picks and draft positions... which allows them tons of flexability.

I'm afraid that quantity won't suffice for us this year, and if we wan't to stay par with NE, then drafting a handful of impact players is a must.... even if that means sacrificing "quantity" to do so.

Here is my "Bobby Fisher" move to compete with the AFC East (which I'll leave myself open to criticism on), as the road to the Superbowl for the next few years goes through New England... and if we don't win our division, we ain't goin. :no:

This move would require us sending future picks (#2 next year) to Detroit in exchange for switching #25 for #20; #44 for #33; and #87 for #65. Or it could just be trading future picks for #20 outright. This puts us just ahead ahead of NE with each of our first 3 picks and atop round 3 to grab round 2 talent that falls. We're already high in round 4 and 6, so that helps.

1 (20). OLB- Connor Barwin. (impact player)
    2 (33). WR- Hakeem Nicks (impact player) *NFL showed us a trend last year of not taking WRs in the 1st.
    2 (56). TE/Wildcat- James Casey (impact player)
    3 (65). CB-Jairus Byrd/Keenan Lewis/Kevin Barnes
    4 (108). FS- Chris Clemons/Sherrod Martin
    5 (161). NT- Sammie Lee Hill
    6 (181). G-Louis Vasquez
    7 (214) C- Edwin Williams, Maryland
    7 (237)KR/PR/WR- Deon Butler

Thoughts?????

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hey TP...just imagine the politics, the games, the secrecy that is goin on in this league amongst front offices, especially with parcells at the helm..Jealousy, envy and admiration can effect every level of life and business...its the reason why there are so many smokescreens, so imperative to keep what were doing close to the vest...Parcells is the genious and everyone knows it. i really wonder how much actual cheating goes on during this time....

james casey, connor barwin, hakeem nicks, stop playin with me man.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think you need to have more OL in your mock draft. I'd take a 2nd OL in the 4th, 5th, or 7th. Not too sure about Vasquez, he appears to be another Manny Ramirez the last widebody OG out of TT.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like it, but we are soo far back in the draft order we will be lucky to land half of those guys.

I like the Sammie Lee Hill pick, small school players will be on the menu this year, and Deon Butler would be a steal in the 7th round

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's why I'd love to do something like this, Padre.... so that we could move ahead in the crucial rounds (2&3).

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Like what TP? :dunno:

It is sticking in my thoughts that Tuna said we more passrushers, but as I step back and look, we have 1 spot open to play them SOLB, and Roth had 5 sacks last year and we cut Holiday...could we be in for larger surprises this year?

Do we cut Roth or bench him or trade him?

That is why IMO we go Johnson if he is there at #25..he can play DE, so can Roth and Wake.

Or we go offense and just draft a OLB/DE like Brown who will be a backup this year?

There strategy is a mystery TP, if we move Roth to one of the teams switching to a 3-4 it would clear alot of stuff up.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Fixing it as we speek.... well, after we speak. LOL.
    Added Center Edwin Williams from Maryland. ;)

8. MrClean

Tupuo is a nice swing G/RT for the 3rd, but then you have no CB. We need to draft at least one, if not two CBs. Our buddy Drew is really hot for him too.

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    DJ, I wish that I had special powers just so that I could hear what Bill is thinking about his strategy etc!! That... and to be invisible in the cheerleaders locker room! :yes:
    If there is cheating.... he's probably toooo good to get caught. LOL.
    Hey, as far as Casey, Barwin, and Nicks.... if we wanted them badly enough, we could easily do it (we saw what happened to all the WR's last year, and Casey at the end of the 2nd before NE is PERFECT!!! I see Tuna having too much confidence in his drafting ability to do such a thing though. Ho hum.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ooops.... sorry. I re-changed it while you were in the middle of typing... as I was thinking the very same thing you were. LOL.
    Drew? Shhhh.... When I see a guy that I really like, and Drew likes too..... then I hope that player ends up in aqua and orange (Barwin & Casey). LOL.

11. MrClean

Ok, I see you changed to Williams in the 7th. Another guy I kind of like for the 7th is Dallas Reynolds. With Vasquez and Williams we add some warm bodies to compete in the middle but no tackle depth. I put Robert Brewster in the 7th of my last mock draft for another OT to put in the mix.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Fine... Garrett Reynolds. LOL. :hi5: I just changed his first name. hahaha
    IMO, Vasquez will be a monster smash mouth LG in a few years as Smiley's replacement. I really liked his play during the Shrine game... and he didn't allow a sack all year while helping Harrell play better than he has all post season.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'd be surprised if the draft went that way, Todd. I have a hard time seeing Hakeem Nicks there, regardless of the weight he put on. Jairus Byrd and Deon Butler are also gone by then IMO.

Regardless of who we acquire via the draft, cutting Roth would be a big mistake. He does a very good job of setting the edge and is by far our best player in doing that IMO.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Roth can stuff the run and has developed his pass rush a bit, so how about putting him back to his initial position at Iowa at MLB where he can clog the middle while mixing it up in our blitzing packages? Isn't that what makes the 3-4 better than a 4-3... the ability to put more pressure on the QB from more positions along the D? I'd almost say we have to keep him for 1st and 2nd downs and short yardage situations while the rooks develop... then we take him out on passing downs. Thoughts?

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey Alen... I just mixed up Byrd in the top of 3 in case he falls. If he doesn't then there are still 2 contingencies. LOL. I'm all for keeping Roth. I feel he brings more value to the D than his stats will ever suggest. :up:

Time to do a few chores.... To be continued tomorrow. LOL. Night all!!

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Good point. I'd rather not risk losing Nicks and utilize the second plan which entails only trading future picks for Detroit's #20.
    That way we don't lose Nicks and can upgrade CB at the same time:
    1(20). Connor Barwin
    1(25). Hakeem Nicks
    2(44). Sean Smith
    2(57). James Casey
    3. T/G- Fenuki Tupuo
    4. NG- Sammie Lee Hill (I think we might have to beat everyone else to the "reaching" punch here)
    5. WR/KR- Mike Wallace. Miami needs a vertical threat to eventually replace Ginn who can actually break the LOS in order to consistently utilize his speed. Also gives us some excitement in the return game.
    6. CB- Bryce McCain (he and teammate, Sean Smith, make a nice duo)
    7A. Cullen Harper (just needs time to break some bad habits he learned last year due to running for his life b/c of the worst OLine in NCAA. ;)
    7B. C- Edwin Williams

IMO, That's a potential for 6-8 impact players and worthy of trading future picks for.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The gurus feel Roth is too stiff to play ILB, I somewhat agree, besides resigning Channing changes the equation in the middle, the slot we have up for grabs is Akin A and he can operate in coverages.

Roth could surprise everyone though, last year was his first as a fulltime OLB and he did all they asked from him.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That's sort of the thing with Roth Alen, he does some things very well and he could develop even more this season. But as long as he is here, he's a sort of roadblock to a high pick seeing 3 down playing time.

I don't envy Ireland and Sparano having to make these choices.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Cant disagree with the Gurus...and he will still a valuable rotational guy. We need his intensity (and an 8 sack year as an OLB encore. ;)

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If they don't plan on using Roth in the middle, then I might need to squeeze in McKillop or Ellerbe to MLB. ????? Not sure Ellerbe will be there in 3.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He also can play DE, he's a valuable player, it's just he's more of a role player and we may need more out of SOLB then Roth can give us.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I totally agree. ;)
    You nailed it on your previous post that I thanked you for.
    So then what you're saying is he can play the run at olb and rush the pass at DE in passing downs?

I'll read it tomorrow. Time for bed.
    Does plan B seem to work better? LOL
    Posted via Mobile Device

padre31 likes this.