1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Link found?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by charlestonphan, May 19, 2009.

1. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    thought for certain there would already be a thread here and/or the PoFo.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...Lemur_Monkey_Hailed_As_Mans_Earliest_Ancestor

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    open shut case johnson

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Heres a different article on the same thing:

link

4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    next to it they found dave wannstedt's offensive playcalling book

5. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008

:lol:

6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Very Interesting.

7. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    gafinfan likes this.
  8. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I mean come on, they find this thing 25 years ago and just now they are saying its the 8th wonder of the world. Dave's play book is about that old.:lol:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/poll...ounced-tuesday-47-million-year-old-f/results/

Here is a poll you can vote in about this 8th wonder. "The true Bridge?"

I love this quote:

I have to ask this question. Just what is it that drives some people to want to believe that we are nothing more than monkeys, in the first place? Do they really like the idea of living in the woods with no clothes on and eating ants on a stick? Excuse me but I'll take Bryers IceCream every time with some Banana Pudding thrown in on one Sunday a month. If my mom will just come back and make it. RIP I love you mom.

Themole and 2socks like this.
  9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    25 yrs after its discovered and after some major funds have been exchanged this finding becomes big news .

It looks like a lemur but its different because of the finger arrangement.

I am not suggesting this is a hoax but it has happened before.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piltdown_Man

Themole and gafinfan like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    FTR, no one says we come from monkeys. Human evolution is about the fact that humans, apes, and monkeys share a common ancestor. Its also not about wanting to believe. Its a fact, based on fossils and dna evidence.

Pagan and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  11. gafinfan

FTR, this is the opening of this thread.

They said it, all I did was quote the link. Just being accurate.:wink2:

12. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    They did some sort of computer model to see what it would look like 'in the flesh' as they say.

[​IMG]

SICK and unluckyluciano like this.
  13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    at least attenborough admitted that there were zero missing links found before this discovery unlike some people on these boards. once this gets shot down i guess we'll all be agreed that are no transitional species lol

gafinfan likes this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, they did.

However:
    I added the bold.

This is why I keep saying every time this topic (evolution) that the detractors need to study up on this a bit more. They have obvious misunderstandings of what evolution is.

Frumundah Finnatic and gafinfan like this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

Every species is more or less a transitional species. You keep blending the very antiquated concepts of when evolution was first recognized to what we know today.

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    i seen a commercial on the history channel about a special coming up about his...should be interesting atleast...

17. gafinfan

IMO but I think your bold also backs up my original statement about monkeys.

Look no one I know argues that there is alot of close DNA, every living thing has it, right?. For the sake of science I understand the groupings and I even agree, in a scientific way, that a human could be looked apon as a natural progression of the line, so to speak. Where I get all caught up in this is: if this is a progression then why is it not continuing? If the Dino's all died out as we are told please explain just how they evolved into birds? You can't have it both ways, can you? And if we are going by the closeness to other animals don't we match up pretty well with Pigs? Also if we are in the same league with the great Apes why can't we use their organs and/or if we do just why does everyone get so blown up about it?

I'm not so much a distractor as I am a disbeliever. Science changes all the time and the pat answer is that we are still learning as we grow, ok but things from our past shouldn't be a problem anymore, I mean we've had thousands of years to study this yet science is still grasping at straws, why?

I'm not saying these things to put a knock on you I really am interested, but unconvensed.:up:

Themole, Fin D and mullingan like this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not really though. You're saying monkeys turned into people. You're going off that graphic that shows a chimp on one end and humans on the other. I've said on this site many times how that graphic is more responsible for people not accepting evolution than anything else.

This not a straight line. We are talking about a much splintered line, like a tree, where the branches of the primates begin from the same point.

Its not close DNA. Its that we share 90-something% of with chimpanzees for example. More than 90% of our dna is exactly the same. Think about that. If dna can show who someone's parents are, why is this discredited?

Why do you think we've stopped changing? We are considerably taller as a species than we were even 100 years ago. We live longer and are smarter too. The reason we aren't dramatically changing is because we are suited to our environment. That's what evolution is, adapting to the environment. Why was the mammoth woolly and the elephant not? Temperature.

Humans have evolved to the point that we can for the most part, change our environment to adapt to us. Not too mention that, the evolution process, has taken millions and millions of years, and you want to see a dramatic difference in a thousand years.

Well, surely you can see how there are no dinosaurs now right?:lol: Through dna, and fossils, we see the closest living relative are birds. There is no debate on this anywhere in the science world.

We match up with pigs on an organ level, not a dna level. Side note, pigs have the ability to change the shape of their skull. Its been researched and documented. Your average farm pig has a much different skull shape than a wild pig or hog. The wild hog has a longer and flatter skull from the nose to the eyes, and it is used for digging and rooting. When farm pigs escape and live wild, in the span of year or two, their skulls will elongate and flatten, they'll grow longer and darker coats of fur. Again this has been tracked and witnessed. It is fact. Its actually the reason behind the "hogzilla" stories that have been creeping up everywhere.

Well, we have used great ape organs in people. Mind you though, chances are you couldn't use one of my kidneys and we're both human.

Well, there's the problem. With science there is nothing to "believe" in. Meaning science is based in fact. Its either true or not true. Religion is based in belief, you either have faith or you don't. The concepts of belief do not apply to science. The concepts of facts do not apply to religion.

Faith can't be proven, that's why its faith. You have faith in something you'll never know is true, if you knew, then it would be a fact and there'd be nothing to have faith in. For example, say you know someone with a drug problem named Bill. Let's say he's been through rehab. You know Bill is about to be at a party with drugs. You have faith Bill will not fall off the wagon. The facts are, Bill has a drug problem and he's at a party with drugs and he may or may not do drugs. You believe he won't do drugs in this situation. You don't know it, you believe it. If he did the drugs, then you can still choose to believe he didn't and wouldn't again, yet it wouldn't change the fact that he did.

Point is, "know" and "believe" are not interchangeable. They do not mean the same things.

I never thought you did:up:

I'm not saying this offend you, but you really should read more on evolution. The facts that you are basing opinion on are incomplete compared to the information that is out there. Please understand that science as whole is not up in the air on this issue. The only "scientists" that are saying evolution didn't happen are ones that have their "research" paid for by groups that have an agenda, generally a religious one.

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think you might be slightly confused as to the concept. It doesn't mean that a T-Rex woke up one day as Hummingbird.

It means that a small (most likely feathered) flightless bird-dinosaur, over time, with genetic changes (maybe through breeding its wings became stronger) was able to fly. It then passed its DNA on to other birds, who either may or may not have retained and improved upon that ability.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think you have some of your facts about what the evolutionary theory is mixed up. The extinction wiped out most of the dinosaurs, not all. Actually the belief is that most land animals over a certain size were wiped out. Many smaller creatures that could hide in small crevices and had smaller food requirements did make it.

Also modern science hasn't been around that long. Most people believe it started about the time of Galileo. That's maybe 400 years. The use of DNA is really young. It's only been the last maybe 10 or 20 years that they've been testing fossil records. And fossil records are really skimpy. Just as an example we have found maybe 40 Neanderthal bones ever. And I don't mean full skeletons. That includes fragments of bones. Many of which have DNA which is too deteriorated to test.

So many of the theories about dinosaurs will be wrong. Scientists are trying to put together a big puzzle where most of the pieces are missing and then guessing about what the whole picture looks like.

Despite that, it has been shown that species do evolve. Even John Paul II admitted that evolution is no longer a theory. Now I do expect that there will continue to be modifications in our understanding of evolution. Basically we have some pieces of the puzzle showing showing some early creatures and we have the outcome (us and the rest of the observable natural world). Then we have very few pieces in the middle and scientist are trying to find how the two ends connect. The specimen they just unveiled seems to have features indicating that it could be a pivotal linking piece. But it may turn out to be a link to some other branch that didn't lead to us.

But the part that doesn't seem to be in question is that there is a branch that leads to us. And that branch includes primates, monkeys and something before that and then to smaller mammals before that.

21. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Don't shoot the messenger. Attenborough said it I'm merely repeating.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC

you dick :lol:

opfinistic likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No, he said what you referenced, but your conclusion about there being no transitional species is what I was referring to.He didn't say there were no transitional species, he said there was no missing links before. There is difference and its not semantics.

24. gafinfan

:lol::lol::lol: Ok guys I never said I was an expert, are you all trying to make me feel bad or what?:lol::lol::lol:

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not at all, but if you're going to discredit something I feel you should know what you're discrediting.:up:

gafinfan likes this.
  26. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Please elaborate. What's the difference between a transitional species and a missing link?

Celtkin likes this.
  27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    To me a transitional species is one that was a piece of the puzzle over time, and that you may know more about.

A "missing link" phrased that way, to me, means that before you thought that there may be a link in ancestory between two animals but no solid evidence, and you have hit a block and can't further the idea. Finding that missing link is like finding a missing piece of a puzzle.

adamprez2003 and Celtkin like this.
  28. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Well for starters we have a lot more evidence that supports evolution than we have of evidence of talking snakes.

SICK and BuckeyeKing like this.
  29. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Once you find it there is no difference. It's kinda like an unidentified flying object. Once you know what it is, it's just a flying object. :)

30. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
  31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just wrong.

Funny.

But wrong.

charlestonphan likes this.
  32. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    wro.oooooo.ng.
    [​IMG]

Celtkin, Frumundah Finnatic and SICK like this.