1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miles Austin Worth The Tender?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by anlgp, Nov 26, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Given the stats that I just saw fly by that said something about Miles Austin being tied with Randy Moss and Larry Fitz.. is he worth the second round tender that the Cowboys had placed on him in the offseason and should we have gone after him?

Just a question to stir the pot. We know Ireland thinks we need a WR and I think some of us think we need a WR :lol:, so would he have a place in our system and would a 2nd rounder have been worth it?

I *think* that's what they wanted for him anyway.

edit:

btw, this is not meant to be a "bash pat white" thread. It's just hypothetical.

jetssuck and skippysphins like this.
  2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yes. He certainly seems to be better than anybody we have now.

3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If I'd have know we were going to draft pat white I would have been all in favor.

4. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If teams could see what he is doing right now the 2nd rounder wouldn't have been enough. Dallas won't get rid of him. They would probably deal Roy WIlliams for a cheese sandwich at this point, Austin is Romo's goto guy right now.

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I agree, but I thought he showed flashes of what he could be this year last season. The hypothetical was based around last off-season not this next upcoming one. I guess the point is moot and the horse flogged..

6. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think the real question is does Austin look as good in any other offense?

He has a solid running game, Jason Witten and Roy Williams to take attention off of him in Dallas. I think he'd do ok somewhere else, but nowhere as good as he is in Dallas.

8. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    He has the ability to make a catch in traffic, shake a tackler and gain YAC or take it to the house. I'd say that translates anywhere....

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Eh, I'd have to see a little more consistency with all that.

10. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    2009 G 11 GS 6 REC 42 YDS 824 AVG 19.6 LNG 60T TDS 8

I think we could work with that...

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Like I said, we don't have the rest of Dallas' offense.

12. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Up until most recently, we've had one of the most feared rushing attacks in the league, the way being paved by the league's most expensive OL. And a QB that isn't scared to hang in there and throw lazers, anywhere on the field.

I wouldn't put Austin in the top tier of WR's, but I would easily settle for him and a really good TE.

I'm not a big Romo fan......if the guy didn't date a famous chick and play for the Cowboys (surrounded by talent) and instead say he played for someone like Cleveland? I think he'd barely be on the map. IMO, he's just too hit big or miss......too erratic to ever take that team to a SB.

And I see no reason why Austin couldn't have done just as well here. Especially when he would have been started and been featured in 11 games instead of 6, like he was in Dallas.

When I think about how bad we've lacked a guy like that all season and the problems it's caused, that second round tender is looking like a steal.

13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If Dallas doesnt resign him, I would put him up there with the top FA possibilities in Miami. I watch a fair few Big D games being in Austin (the city) and hes an evolving playmaker. He can make a short play a long one, take a ball to the house on a deep route, a crossing route. Hes big, makes people miss, blows through arm tackles and has good hands.

I dont think that he was worth the tender without hindsight, but at this point he is becoming a very very good wideout, and would give this team a weapon it doesnt possess right now. Hes making himself some money.

As for the "other offense" - you could say that about many people in the NFL. Would Fitzgerald be as good without Boldin? Would Moss be so good without Brady? Would Cedric Benson have gotten such production without the Bengals passing game? Load of crap IMO.

Austin is taking pressure off Williams, who is playing like **** this year. Witten is a great TE, but there are lots of them around the league.

Ive watched Austin play, and he can just PLAY. Period.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Hows it a load of crap?

We've already seen that Fitz can be as good, if not better, without Boldin.

Any wr would be better with Tom Brady, and Moss is no exception.

And we all know that better passing games open up the run.

You're giving a lot of credit to a guy who's had 3 or 4 really big weeks and a lot of mediocrity. Take a look at his schedule and the big games vs weak games look very dependent on the opponent.

It makes no sense not to factor in the offensive situation when evaluating any wr.

15. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He makes big plays, when they need to be made. When its crunchtime, they are throwing the ball at Austin, not Williams or Witten.

He hasnt had mediocre production - since they actually started giving him a large role hes been producing at a top level.

IMO, thats enough for me to not really care what offense he comes out of.

16. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    2009 g 11 gs 6 rec 42 yds 824 avg 19.6 lng 60t tds 8

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Look at his stats game by game:

TB : 1 Rec 42yd TD
    NYG: 1 Rec 20yds
    CAR: 0 Rec
    Den: 3 Rec 19 yds
    Kc : 10 Rec 250 yds 2 Tds
    Atl: 6 Rec 171 yds 2 Tds
    Sea: 5 Rec 61yds 1 Td
    Phi: 1 Rec 49 yd 1 Td
    Gb : 4 Rec 20 yds
    Was: 4 Rec 47 Yds
    Oak: 7 Rec 145 Yds 1 Td

18. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    8th in the league in total receiving yards, 7th in average, 2nd in TDs. And thats with not even starting untill KC. Leads the league in plays of 20+, and second in the league with 40+ yard plays. Ill take it.